Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 12:51:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335236 Posts in 13726 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Shadowrun FPS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Shadowrun FPS  (Read 3816 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2006, 05:28:43 PM »

Official site.

Personally, I'm really disappointed. We haven't had a Shadowrun video game in over a decade, and when they /do/ make one, it's not an RPG but rather what sounds like a Counter Strike clone in a sci-fi/fantasy setting. Sigh.

Anyone who cares about Shadowrun even remotely still hoping this turns out well? It'll be nice, but I'm not all that interested now.
Dio

... I'm not Dead.

SummonerDio@msn.com Diobility Diobility
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 05:39:10 AM »

You're not alone, Eusis. They should have called it something else.
I love the old school Shadowrun games (for both Sega & Nintendo) and I always thought it had a great MMO potential... but seeing how they changed the way the game is, really disappointed me as well. Shamans, Deckers, and Samurai are gone, I guess.

Bleh.

Infinite.Bit Radio
Dedicated station to actual video game and anime music from various soundtracks. No radio show podcasts or anything like that... Just pure 100% music. Old, new and remade tracks is what you'll hear from us.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 05:48:07 PM »

A Shadowrun FPS could work really well if it was a non-linear, Deus Ex or System Shock like setup.

I need to play the SNES Shadowrun sometime. Love the Genesis one, though.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dio

... I'm not Dead.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 09:35:58 PM »

The SNES Version is really into the storyline and everything you do has to do with getting closer to the end of the game. So it's definitely different from the Genesis version.

Infinite.Bit Radio
Dedicated station to actual video game and anime music from various soundtracks. No radio show podcasts or anything like that... Just pure 100% music. Old, new and remade tracks is what you'll hear from us.
Chimpbot

ChimpbotD piccolo141@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 11:42:36 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Anyone who cares about Shadowrun even remotely still hoping this turns out well? It'll be nice, but I'm not all that interested now.

I lost all interest in the game.
I wanted a new RPG...hell, even an MMO would have been better than this.
Maybe I'll be proven wrong and it will rock harder than any game has rocked before. I just highly doubt it will.

They went and ruined my Shadowrun...
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 11:49:18 PM »

Even if it's an awesome FPS (it sounds like it could be), it's still not the awesome cyberpunk RPG it /could/ have been. Meh. :P
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 12:56:34 AM »

I too am dissapointed..  I'm a HUGE fan of both SNES and Genesis versions and have been anticipating a new game for ages.  Maybe if it has lots of Rpg elements from the past, it might be good...but it won't be the same:(

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Dio

... I'm not Dead.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 03:22:02 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Even if it's an awesome FPS (it sounds like it could be), it's still not the awesome cyberpunk RPG it /could/ have been. Meh. :P

Exactly! Like I said, it had great MMO potential. I mean, they kinda had somewhat of a MMO layout, already. Doing Shadowruns is like questing, anyway. lol

Infinite.Bit Radio
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 05:29:58 PM »

I played the game on the show floor.  Other than the cool Xbox 360/PC combined play:

Meh.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 07:50:27 PM »

Well, as I said, you COULD do an RPG/FPS hybrid. System Shock 2 or Deus Ex, for instance. Hell, Deus Ex almost WAS Shadowrun. Making an FPS with a random mission generator ala Daggerfall or Shadowrun Genesis wouldn't be that hard to do, and implementing skills? Well, might need some alterations, but you could do SOMETHING.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Extwin

imlzeronx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 12:57:11 PM »

Oh well. This really should have been called something else. No shadowrun feel from what I can see. Its like making a d&d rhythim game because d&d has a bard class. Shadowrun is an rpg dammit... It has guns...but its an rpg. Its not like it has a huge following outside the rpg audience anyway. I knew that Microsoft would either bury the licence or ruin it. I was hoping for the former so it could at least go out with dignity. So much for hoping.

Mostly lurks, with good reason
Obviously, I'm a genius...The Darkrider said so
Me: So, Mom, where are you going in the U.K.?
Mom: Ware
Me: Yeah, where?
Mom: No, Ware.... W-A-R-E
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 04:39:31 PM »

Even the publishers of the book are saying to take it as an 'FPS loosely based on Shadowrun'. Man, all I can hope for is A. this is good in the end (FASA /has/ made some good games before, so it's not exactly unrealistic), and that it creates a surge of interest that prompts the franchise being licensed to someone like Bioware or Obsidian to create an actual RPG out of.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: