Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 09:59:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334685 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  How have RPG games influenced your life in the real world?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: How have RPG games influenced your life in the real world?  (Read 5794 times)
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 18, 2008, 09:50:23 PM »

Something I've been thinking about, since I only work twenty hours a week and have been playing WAY to much these days. Some of my examples:

1. There's a lot with music. Two things from Chrono Trigger. 1 - whenever I have a job interview, I listen to "Crono's Theme" on my iPod. I don't know, it gets me pumped I guess. 2 - When I first came to Japan, just as the plane was taking off from JFK airport in NYC, I listened to the two ending themes from Chrono Trigger "For my Dear Friends" and "Outskirts of Time." It was so dramatic. I'll never forget that moment as long as I live. Also, I was obsessed with Secret of Mana's soundtrack when I was in elementary school. I remember listening to it all day when my grandmother died. To this day my favorite RPG soundtrack.

2. One of the main ways I learned to read Japanese was by replaying RPG's I had already beaten using the Japanese version. I'd make vocab lists on my computer as I played and just naturally created all these mnemonics associating difficult words with games. Whenever I read a newspaper article about undeveloped countries or war I get images of Star Ocean or Suikoden.

3. I referenced Xenogears in a psych paper during my last year of college. We were studying Freud, and we had to use popular culture like movies or TV shows. I used Fei and Ramses, and I got an A. I also referenced Lenneth from Valkyrie Profile in an English paper in high school.

4. From Breath of Fire 3, I made Rei's catchphrase a part of my vocabulary. In English he always says "Well don't that just beat all..." and in Japanese it's "Yukai da na..." Most of my friends don't know where it's from, so they just think it's some random thing I say, but I beat that game four times so I can't get it out of my head.

5. When I get home late at night, I often hear the dormitory music from Persona 3 in my head. And I know it's not an RPG, but whenever I wake up, I hear that four note theme from Metroid from whenever you load a saved game.

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 01:02:26 PM »

For me, the only way games have affected my life is by providing a common interest for me and my friends. I've made friends through talking about Final Fantasy and playing Halo tournaments. Beyond that, there's not much.

I guess if you really wanted to dig deep, you might consider whether or not RPGs have helped with my problem solving or strategy building skills. Maybe they've helped me handle time better. Maybe I've become a better decision maker because of them. I'm not sure how one would go about judging that.

[/url]
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 04:42:15 PM »

Thankfully not a whole lot.  When I was in training for my previous job I sang the nonsensical lyrics to Persona 3 for some stupid reason I can't remember, and a couple people thought I wrote the lyrics for, uh, some reason.  And there was the whole omg I'm in a party or raid in (MMO) or being in the middle of some infernally long boss that interfered with dinner times, but those are about it.

Of course, I could blame RPGs for leading me down another road that more or less screwed me over for a couple years until I got lucky and steered away from my projected career path altogether, but I tend to blame myself for that since I can only blame myself for personal decisions.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 04:58:20 PM »

1. Has definitely helped my critical thinking about archetypes and how to write them.

2. Has inspired me in building my own roleplaying systems.

3. Has helped direct some of my artistic preferences.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 05:21:21 PM »

Helped me a lot to improve my english, after all, if wanted to finish the game i had to understand what the NPCs were telling me to do.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 05:32:32 PM »

Made me have a one-up over other students when it came to mythology knowledge....  Thass about it.

Otherwise, as an artist and graphic designer, its helps me a lot when it comes to design.  Games usually try to match the aesthetic look they're going for, so they're a wonderful reference.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 05:49:24 PM »

The Megami Tensei games actually helped improve communication between me and my parents.  When I was growing up, I didn't particularly want to have anything to do with anything Indian, like most of my peers who too were children of immigrants.  But Megami Tensei's use of Hindu mythological figures sparked an interest in Hindu mythology that I never had growing up and I started asking my mom questions about various deities and their legends.  I also started looking through reading material the folks had about Hindu mythology. 

So, yeah, if it weren't for Megami Tensei, I'd still be one of those insufferable self-hating Indians.

Nowadays, I enjoy seeing how ancient teachings manifest themselves into more modern formats, such as through video games and comic books (Devi is a damn cool comic.) 

I've found that driving games have improved my hand-eye coordination, reflexes, and reaction time when driving in real life. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 05:58:23 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 06:19:33 PM »

I had a HUGE drinking problem for about 17 years. Always played RPG's through that time. Always had a love for them, even at my drunkest of times. I quit drinking about 5 years ago, and RPG's have been a BIG help for me to keep my mind pointed in a more positive direction. Might sound weird, but there you have it.
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 06:30:41 PM »

Helped me a lot to improve my english, after all, if wanted to finish the game i had to understand what the NPCs were telling me to do.

hahah, i'd say i'm not alone with this one: but i'd say playing RPGs (and other games) i Japanese helped me learn the language (if only by a little, but i'd say it helped)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 08:39:45 PM »

IF ANYTHING, I would like to say that RPGs helped me to get used to reading when I was a kid and reading was still more of a hassle.
i.e.; "T...Th....The... Hor...Horse.... Wa...wu....WAS....Br...ow..N" -Me, Grade 1 

Since RPG texts are a bit more fun to read for than your typical school books. =p

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 08:49:30 PM »

Morrowind's banner duplication glitch has, on more than one occaision, led to me feeling a vague sense of dread when I see a banner attached to a pole in real life. I wish to god I was making that up.

There are some games I just found really moving. The chrono series, earthbound, ffl2* come to mind. Some of Maxis' old games.

One of the main ways I learned to read Japanese was by replaying RPG's I had already beaten using the Japanese version. I'd make vocab lists on my computer as I played and just naturally created all these mnemonics associating difficult words with games.

I want to try that with Russian :(

* In the hierarchy of Square games, for me, this one is near the top. I know I'm alone on this but FFL2 just blew my mind for some reason.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 08:54:21 PM »

I'll eat my hat if someone honestly says they hooked up with a hottie by imitating what they saw in love adventure or dating sim games. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »

I'll eat my hat if someone honestly says they hooked up with a hottie by imitating what they saw in love adventure or dating sim games. 

Yeah, I totally tried dating the 12-year-old girl that looks 17, the girl with a major temper, the quiet, strong girl, the extremely large-chested girl, etc.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 11:12:20 PM »

I think that RPGs definitely helped with the communication between my sister and me. We weren't exactly at each other's throat or anything but when we started playing FF8 and Chrono Cross together, she and I got along better. We got used to having squabbles about little gaming things ("I *told* you not to use that spell on the Boss!") and most of our other fights became consequently less frequent or serious. Having to work together kinda does that to people. :P

I guess they also helped me develop my skills of strategy and foresight. Oh-- and I use RPG lingo on a daily basis, or whenever there's someone around to understand me at least. 

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 11:35:15 PM »

I had a HUGE drinking problem for about 17 years. Always played RPG's through that time. Always had a love for them, even at my drunkest of times. I quit drinking about 5 years ago, and RPG's have been a BIG help for me to keep my mind pointed in a more positive direction. Might sound weird, but there you have it.

RPG's help me quit drinking. That is fricking awesome. Can anyone top that?

XENOGEARS HELPED ME WITH MY CRACK ADDICTION. I WOULD WANT CRACK BUT THEN I WOULD JUST PLAY XENOGEARS AND EVERYTHING WOULD BE GOLDEN.

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: