Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 10:25:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331786 Posts in 13584 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  How have RPG games influenced your life in the real world?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: How have RPG games influenced your life in the real world?  (Read 5763 times)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 02:41:23 AM »

I guess that indirectly RPG's (and other videogames) gave some directing to my life. The government was pretty eager to label me disabled and put me on welfare, but I found myself a job and now write for a Nintendo magazine. Sure, I don't earn enough (yet) to earn a living, but atleast I can say I have a job and that I enjoy doing what I do.

That's the short version, the long version is a bit more complicated as long version tend to be. I've always been socially awkward and that made me the target of bullies. Videogames were like comfort food when I was a kid. Comfort food. And, I had finally found something I was good at. I became active on the internet, read game magazines etc. When I was 15 the boss of a Nintendo magazine noticed me and told me that I should try writing something for his magazine when I was old enough. Sadly, the magazine went belly up before I got that chance. However, during the time I finished highschool and attemped college a new Nintendo magazine was created and I now work for them as a freelancer. The person who encouraged me back then works for the sister magazine. I wonder if he remembers me...

... I guess that makes me a living RPG-cliche.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 06:33:36 AM by Tomara » Logged
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 04:00:50 AM »

I had a HUGE drinking problem for about 17 years. Always played RPG's through that time. Always had a love for them, even at my drunkest of times. I quit drinking about 5 years ago, and RPG's have been a BIG help for me to keep my mind pointed in a more positive direction. Might sound weird, but there you have it.

RPG's help me quit drinking. That is fricking awesome. Can anyone top that?

XENOGEARS HELPED ME WITH MY CRACK ADDICTION. I WOULD WANT CRACK BUT THEN I WOULD JUST PLAY XENOGEARS AND EVERYTHING WOULD BE GOLDEN.

Hey, I'm glad my personal problem provides you with so much amusement.
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 04:59:02 AM »

Helped me a lot to improve my english, after all, if wanted to finish the game i had to understand what the NPCs were telling me to do.

Same here. When I was little I didnít see the point in learning English (not my first language). Thankfully RPGs picked up my interest - in order to advance I had to know where I should go or what I should do next, I couldnít just button-mash my way out. During that time I didn't have internet access, so it was up to me and my trusty dictionary.
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 05:57:45 AM »

I may come off as sarcastic, but there isn't a drop of ridicule in what I wrote. I got nothing but love for you man. I was expecting much simpler stuff, like having songs stuck in your head and other such nonsense when I wrote this thread. But to hear that someone actually got through some personal problems due to RPG's is fu***** great. I really don't think anyone can top it. Honestly, I respect you a lot. Alcoholism is not easy. My own brother went through it, so there ain't nothing amusing about it to me.

I am sorry if I offended you though. If you were here right now, I would totally give you one of those really rough ghetto hugs and a fist pound.

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 10:34:07 AM »

I may come off as sarcastic, but there isn't a drop of ridicule in what I wrote. I got nothing but love for you man. I was expecting much simpler stuff, like having songs stuck in your head and other such nonsense when I wrote this thread. But to hear that someone actually got through some personal problems due to RPG's is fu***** great. I really don't think anyone can top it. Honestly, I respect you a lot. Alcoholism is not easy. My own brother went through it, so there ain't nothing amusing about it to me.

I am sorry if I offended you though. If you were here right now, I would totally give you one of those really rough ghetto hugs and a fist pound.

Oh, okay then. :) Sometimes the written word lacks the ability to show true meaning. I took what you said as total sarcasm. Hahaha... No problem.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 10:35:58 AM »

I think 4chan makes us all wary of commentary on the internets. :P
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 01:20:43 PM »

RPGs are getting me my next job.

So there.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 01:25:26 PM »

I can't believe nobody has posted this yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTvU_w0UdBs
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 01:44:44 PM »

Helped me a lot to improve my english, after all, if wanted to finish the game i had to understand what the NPCs were telling me to do.

Same here. When I was little I didnít see the point in learning English (not my first language). Thankfully RPGs picked up my interest - in order to advance I had to know where I should go or what I should do next, I couldnít just button-mash my way out. During that time I didn't have internet access, so it was up to me and my trusty dictionary.

I was going trough that dictionary routine back in 2000, there was the internet already, but again, FAQs were in english anyway. I sort of managed my way around many games thanks to some basic english knowledge, but i certainly polished what i knew and improved a lot more over the years. It ended up being a way better form of learning than the dull english classes i had in school.

Oh, and my first language is Spanish D:
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: