Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 01:28:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327471 Posts in 13409 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ys I&II to DS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Ys I&II to DS  (Read 8031 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2008, 03:45:19 PM »

Thanks to a Gamestop leak we know Atlus is working on the Nintendo DS Ys remakes. And when Atlus is done we’re not going to have to buy each game separately. Atlus is bundling the two games together to make Legacy of Ys: Books I & II, just like the classic TurboDuo release. However, this version of Ys I & II has been upgraded with 3D graphics, a multiplayer mode, and a brand new translation. Also, Adol uses his sword instead of tackling monsters. Fantastic.

We’ll wait for an official confirmation for an exact release date, but it looks like Legacy of Ys Books I & II is on track for a release in early 2009. Here are some early screenshots of Atlus’ “ultimate” translation.

http://www.siliconera.com/2008/10/22/atlus-brings-ys-i-ii-back-together-for-north-america/

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 04:26:14 PM »

Bah, it just looks like a port of Ys Eternal.  Good for those who haven't played it, bad for those of us who paid way too much money to import the PC version. :P

Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 04:57:29 PM »

If this wasn't a near-direct port of Ys Eternal and Ys II Eternal (which were released ~8 years ago, mind you) I might be excited. 

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 05:05:54 PM »

What about the music? No way a DS can belt it out like the originals. I'm still interested in this, though. What was Y's Eternal released for anyway? If it never came to America why are you guys complaining? Is the game no good?

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 05:10:57 PM »

Guys.

GUYS.

Adol Christian uses a sword.

That is ALL that matters.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 05:21:54 PM »

I too like the sword over the tackling (man I hated the tackling).  As long as the controls are drum tight and not loose or slippery in any way, it's all good.  And this holds true for ANY action RPG.

And the first thing I thought of was what Grimmy thought- how will the audio fare?  Hopefully it'll at least be passable with headphones.  But there's no way a DS soundchip can recreate the CD quality audio that the Turbo Duo did. 

Grim, I think the Ys Eternal games were released on the PC.  I know Oath of Felghana (the superior remake of Ys 3) was. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 05:28:41 PM by Dincrest » Logged

I approve of this nonsense!
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 05:23:57 PM »

Omg.  Well, seeing as how I don't have Ys Eternal and Ys II Eternal, I'm definitely pretty stoked about this because Adol's the man.  I have some reservations about the music quality myself, but then a bigger concern is I still don't have a DS yet.  This news is the final straw though.  

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 05:43:40 PM »

Ys I&II Eternal Complete for PC is the definitive version made by Falcom themselves. I`m not sure which company worked on the DS port(definitely not Falcom), but I heard a lot of bad things about it. There`s probably no reason at all to get this over the PC version if you strive for a great Ys experience.

For those interested in the series, I`d also recommend Ys: The Oath in Felghana and Ys Origin. As far as action RPGs are concerned they are better than pretty much anything on consoles. Also, avoid PS2 Ys remakes by Taito(and any non-Falcom games with Ys license in general, like Ys Strategy), they are quite horrible.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 05:47:49 PM »

You "OMG USING A SWORD" folks need to realize something:  you still tackle them to kill them. :P  It's just adding a sword swinging animation to the same old gameplay.

Now if it turns out that you actually DO mash a button to swing on this port, then I'll be buying it.  But I bet that won't be a problem. :P

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 06:03:39 PM »

There done been a press release put out there.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 06:09:11 PM »

Now if it turns out that you actually DO mash a button to swing on this port, then I'll be buying it.  But I bet that won't be a problem. :P

You do actually, so long as you're not running around with the stylus anyway.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 10:27:18 PM »

I have some reservations about the music quality myself,

Why are people concerned about the music - because it was originally orchestral and it's going to be (likely) midi-fied on the DS?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 12:47:06 AM »

I have some reservations about the music quality myself,

Why are people concerned about the music - because it was originally orchestral and it's going to be (likely) midi-fied on the DS?

You're clearly a stranger to the series.

Ys I and Ys II (on the Turbo Duo) were the first RPGs to use redbook audio, back in the 80s.  While other game soundtracks were a collection of bleeps and boops, Ys had electric guitars.  That said, the music is the highlight of the experience.  Soundteam JDK is, in a word, amazing - and although he doesn't do much work with them anymore, Ryo Yonemitsu (who was responsible for the 'Perfect Collection' albums, among others) is one of the best arrangers in the industry.

So yeah, the mere suggestion of a midi-fied soundtrack is an eyebrow archer for most fans.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 12:48:39 AM by Shiguma » Logged

Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 01:06:15 AM »

I`m not sure which company worked on the DS port(definitely not Falcom), but I heard a lot of bad things about it.
That might have been the Japanese publisher, i.e. Interchannel Holon, which is known for its love adventure (ports), but not for outstanding contributions to the RPG genre (admittingly they used to publish Black/Matrix when they were still known as NEC Interchannel, but that series was developed by Flight-Plan).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 11:10:14 AM by Professor Gast » Logged
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 02:53:13 AM »

Taking advantege of this topic, which would be a good place to start with this franchise? I have seen Ys: The Ark of Napishtim in some stores here and there but never really picked my interest until i started to read about the franchise.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: