Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 11:52:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334848 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ys I&II to DS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Ys I&II to DS  (Read 8186 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 03:35:06 AM »

If you want to be anal retentive about chronology/game ordering then it's pretty clear this is the one you want. However, outside of I/II/IV (either version) there's little continuity between the games. It's there, you'll see returning characters and there's a timeline of events, but it's like being worried about which Bond movie to start with or worried about watching some TV shows in order. There might be some ideal start point, but it's not THAT important.

In short: Get Ys VI and enjoy.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 05:49:27 AM »

You're clearly a stranger to the series.

Yeah actually, and ChevalierEagle beat me to my next question.

So, I&II have an amazing soundtrack - but which is the best Ys game overall?

(Best meaning general consensus as the most fun to play, best story etc.)

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 08:04:56 AM »

Tastes differ, so there`s no such thing as the best Ys game overall. I personally like Ys I&II Eternal Complete, Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim and Ys: The Oath in Felghana the most. Also, despite what Falcom`s elitist fanbase claims, I personally find the PS2 version of Napishtim to be superior to the PC one(having played both to death).

Ys III is garbage despite having the best soundtrack in the series. And now that it`s been remade as The Oath in Felghana, there`s almost no reason to play it. Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys for Turbo Duo is serviceable. Ys IV: The Mask of the Sun and Ys V for SNES you`d better avoid altogether. And Ys Origin, the latest in Ys series, is a very enjoyable albeit a bit generic dungeon crawler with three different main characters(one being secret) and some really great boss battles.

In short, if you`re interested in the series, get the following: Ys I+II Eternal Complete(PC), Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim(PC, PS2), Ys: The Oath in Felghana(PC) and Ys Origin(PC). Some might argue that Ys Book I&II for Turbo Duo is worth getting as well, but with Eternal Complete being better almost in every possible way(there`s even a patch that lets you swap the remixed music tracks with Yonemitsu originals) you can probably do without it.

Also, Falcom usually makes some really awesome trailers for their games. For those who haven`t seen them:

Ys: The Oath in Felghana - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u_A6Ffpg-8
Ys VI: The Ark of napishtim - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCx9fK6Z-EE
Ys Origin - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jh9INEqwx0
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 08:16:50 AM »

Avoid the PSP version of Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim, though.  The load times are frequent and horrendous.  Granted, the load times are slightly shorter with the newer PSPs, but they're still annoyingly frequent. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 03:48:23 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 11:09:34 AM »

I played Ys VI and thought it was pretty terrible.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 11:22:51 AM »

I assume you played Ys VI on PSP, 'cause the other versions are pretty darned good.

Also: It's not that I need /input/ in what Adol does. It's that bumping into enemies makes me groan and then giggle uncontrollably, because it's such a ridiculous sight. The mere presence of the sword lends Adol some credibility inasmuch as doing damage is concerned. Otherwise he's the smallest linebacker ever, and I have believability issues with that.
Boondock Boy

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 03:46:24 PM »

So I've been reading the comments and am now kinda interested in the series so I have 2 questions.

1) How can I get these games for the PC can I download them for free on a website or do I have to buy?

2)Are they available in english?

Now Playing: Persona 3 FES

Recently Finished: Tales of Vesperia, Pokemon Leaf Green, Blue Dragon
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »

So I've been reading the comments and am now kinda interested in the series so I have 2 questions.

1) How can I get these games for the PC can I download them for free on a website or do I have to buy?

2)Are they available in english?

Ys I came out on the Master System.  I can't remember if Ys II did or not.  The Turbo CD had both games on the same disc, but they really flowed together as one.  When somebody talks about the awesomeness of the first two Ys games, this is usually what they're talking about.

Ys III came out on every system in existence in the early '90s, and Ys VI was released on the PS2 and PSP.  Those are the only Ys games in English.

So no, you don't fucking download them for free on the internet.

Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 04:57:27 PM »

Those are the only Ys games in English.

There are perfectly fine English patches available for Ys IV: Dawn of Ys(Turbo Duo), Ys IV: Mask of the Sun(SNES), Ys I&II Eternal Complete(PC) and Ys: The Oath in Felghana(PC). So, they count too.

How can I get these games for the PC can I download them for free on a website or do I have to buy?

You need to buy them from Falcom`s website of from any of the many places on the internet that sell JP imports. And in order to play them, you need to install East Asian languages pack(comes on Windows XP CD) on your PC and change the language of non-unicode programs to Japanese in 'regional and language options'. Otherwise the games won`t run at all or will run with corrupted fonts.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2008, 05:06:57 PM »

They might count in whatever fantasy world you come from, but as I'm certain you read in the section entitled READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST A SINGLE WORD ON THESE BOARDS, we don't talk about anything even peripherally related to the piracy scenes.  So no, they don't count.

Is there any other basic shit I need to point out before I turn this computer off?

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2008, 05:34:14 PM »

Tastes differ, so there`s no such thing as the best Ys game overall. I personally like Ys I&II Eternal Complete, Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim and Ys: The Oath in Felghana the most. Also, despite what Falcom`s elitist fanbase claims, I personally find the PS2 version of Napishtim to be superior to the PC one(having played both to death).

Ys III is garbage despite having the best soundtrack in the series. And now that it`s been remade as The Oath in Felghana, there`s almost no reason to play it. Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys for Turbo Duo is serviceable. Ys IV: The Mask of the Sun and Ys V for SNES you`d better avoid altogether. And Ys Origin, the latest in Ys series, is a very enjoyable albeit a bit generic dungeon crawler with three different main characters(one being secret) and some really great boss battles.

In short, if you`re interested in the series, get the following: Ys I+II Eternal Complete(PC), Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim(PC, PS2), Ys: The Oath in Felghana(PC) and Ys Origin(PC). Some might argue that Ys Book I&II for Turbo Duo is worth getting as well, but with Eternal Complete being better almost in every possible way(there`s even a patch that lets you swap the remixed music tracks with Yonemitsu originals) you can probably do without it.

Also, Falcom usually makes some really awesome trailers for their games. For those who haven`t seen them:

Ys: The Oath in Felghana - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u_A6Ffpg-8
Ys VI: The Ark of napishtim - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCx9fK6Z-EE
Ys Origin - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jh9INEqwx0

That's actually very helpful, thanks. I'm going to see if I can pick up Napishtim tomorrow after school.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2008, 06:59:21 PM »

They might count in whatever fantasy world you come from, but as I'm certain you read in the section entitled READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST A SINGLE WORD ON THESE BOARDS, we don't talk about anything even peripherally related to the piracy scenes.

Piracy:

We here at RPGFan do not support piracy in the least.  Please do not request or post ROMs, ISOs, etc, or information relating to anything of the sort.  This includes, but is not limited to: copyrighted music, console and PC games, and feature films.  While chatting about any of these things, and anime, is fine, don't talk about pirating them. Thanks.

^
You mean this? Yes, I did. I`m not sure you did though.

Is there any other basic shit I need to point out before I turn this computer off?

You need to learn a few basic things yourself first: translation patches are in no way, shape or form related to piracy(make this a memo and read it to yourself every morning before irritating other people again if you don`t know jack(and you clearly don`t)) as they don`t ship with copyrighted material like ROMs, ISOs and BIOS nor are you required to steal the game in order to use them. I mean, I find it entirely possible that you leech shit from torrents all day long and always steal/download an ISO if you want to apply a translation patch(hence your assumption that this is piracy related), but normal people(i.e. not pirates) actually BUY games and apply the patches to THEIR games that they bought with their own money. And if in your perverted perception of reality buying a copy of Ys I&II Eternal Complete, installing it on a PC and patching it with a translation patch is considered piracy and makes one a member of piracy scene, then I don`t know how to help you.

So no, they don't count.

Oh, yes they do.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 07:01:43 PM by Jonathan Ingram » Logged
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2008, 07:09:54 PM »

Err, Jonathan, a tip: If you intend to press your luck with an admin, do it in a fair better tone. Daniel may not always be the most courteous individual, but he's also in charge. If you want to argue the point, I suggest a private message, not continuing here if you've been asked not to. Resolve it first in private, then proceed. Patches may not be illegal, but that does not mean Falcom necessarily approves.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2008, 07:22:45 PM »

Hmm, I doubt I'll get this. Ys Eternal I & II have already given me a fine Ys experience and, although they are fun games, I don't want to drop more money than I've already spent on importing them. I'll just throw in my recommendations as well, I believe that people should get Eternal I&II, Oath in Felghana and Ark of Napishtim first. I haven't gotten around to Origins yet so I can't comment on that. You're going to have to import these or Ebay to get them with those awesome box sets.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2008, 09:21:43 PM »

I know Mark brought up PMing, but in the case of the PC games the English patches are no different from applying unofficial patches or mods to any other PC title. You buy the game properly, install it, then install the patch onto it, no pirating required whatsoever. To be pedantic though this doesn't change the fact Ys I-III and VI are the only ones we have in English in a completely legal fashion, and personally I think it'd be better to wait on Atlus's release and support them while not paying a stupid high amount to import.

I'd argue that it's fine to post links to patches, as they in and of themselves aren't actually illegal and they're already thrown around on places with far more exposure, but those places usually don't have to worry about losing favor with publishers for whatever reason, or ARE publishers themselves.

Edit: Actually I see what I said is reiterating what was said above but civilly, but, uhh, I kinda ignored the post at first.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 10:26:27 PM by Eusis » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: