Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2014, 01:48:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329470 Posts in 13498 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  New Alliance Race Will Be... The Draenei!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: New Alliance Race Will Be... The Draenei!  (Read 5508 times)
Dio

... I'm not Dead.

SummonerDio@msn.com Diobility Diobility
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: May 10, 2006, 02:45:58 PM »

Well folks, it looks like it's official...

The New Alliance Race is The Draenei.

There's an article on the New York Times website that talks about the Draenei, but since you need to create an account, I didn't post it, but I happen to find that picture on the WoW Rogue Discussion Forum. Then I found more info on Gamespot.com - E3 06: Draenei to be new WOW race.

I'm sure the guys here will have something... hopefully images. :)

Infinite.Bit Radio
Dedicated station to actual video game and anime music from various soundtracks. No radio show podcasts or anything like that... Just pure 100% music. Old, new and remade tracks is what you'll hear from us.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 03:16:03 PM »

This comes as no surprise.  If memory serves, right around the time the blood elves were revealed, some magazine said the Allaince would have the draenei...and summarily got hounded by Blizzard into retracting the statement.

I was hoping for ogres, personally. :P

Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 03:42:09 PM »

I still get twinges of sadness that the two-headed Ogre race was an April Fool's joke.
Dio

... I'm not Dead.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 04:12:20 PM »

Quote from: "The Darkrider"
This comes as no surprise.  If memory serves, right around the time the blood elves were revealed, some magazine said the Allaince would have the draenei...and summarily got hounded by Blizzard into retracting the statement.

I wish it would have been something completely new, like creating some rebel bug race from the Ahn'Qiraj story or the dragonkin, but I guess they just stuck with what was available and matched the storyline. :P

I just hope they don't use the exact look as the draenei that hang around in Swamp Of Sorrows... they look like a bunch of pansies. lol

Infinite.Bit Radio
Dedicated station to actual video game and anime music from various soundtracks. No radio show podcasts or anything like that... Just pure 100% music. Old, new and remade tracks is what you'll hear from us.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 05:19:47 PM »

The racials for the new Draenei race are:

*  Blessing of the Naaru - heals the target of 50 damage over 15 sec (3 minute cooldown, scales with level)
    * Gemcutting - Jewelcrafting skill increased by 15
    * Inspiring Presence - Increases chance to hit with spells by 1% for all party members within 30 yards
    * Shadow Resistance - increased by 10

The Blood Elf racials (as announced at Blizzcon) are:

* Arcane Affinity - Enchanting increased by 15
    * Arcane Torrent - Silence all enemies within 8 yards for 2 sec. In addition, you gain 20 Energy, Mana or Rage for each Mana Tap charge currently affecting you. (2 minute cooldown)
    * Magic Resistance - All resistances increased by 5
    * Mana Tap - Drains 50 mana from your target and charges you with Arcane energy until cancelled. This effect stacks up to 3 times.

Blood elves ftw. :p

Edit: Oh, and further proof that Warcraft "lore" is bullshit:

Old:

The Eredar, an insidious race of devilish sorcerers, used their warlock magics to invade and enslave a number of worlds. The indigenous races of those worlds were mutated by the Eredar's malevolent powers and turned into demons themselves. Though Sargeras's nearly limitless powers were more than enough to defeat the vile Eredar, he was greatly troubled by the creatures' corruption and all-consuming evil. Incapable of fathoming such depravity, the great Titan began to slip into a brooding depression. Despite his growing unease, Sargeras rid the universe of the warlocks by trapping them within a corner of the Twisting Nether.

In his fury, Sargeras shattered the prisons of the Eredar and the Nathrezim and set the loathsome demons free. These cunning creatures bowed before the dark Titan's vast rage and offered to serve him in whatever malicious ways they could. From the ranks of the powerful Eredar, Sargeras picked two champions to command his demonic army of destruction. Kil'jaeden the Deceiver was chosen to seek out the darkest races in the universe and recruit them into Sargeras's ranks. The second champion, Archimonde the Defiler, was chosen to lead Sargeras's vast armies into battle against any who might resist the Titan's will.

New:

Nearly twenty-five thousand years ago, the eredar race arose on the world of Argus. They were extremely intelligent and had a natural affinity for magic in all its myriad forms. Using their gifts, they developed a vast and wondrous society.

Unfortunately the eredar's accomplishments caught the attention of Sargeras, the Destroyer of Worlds. He had already begun his Burning Crusade to eradicate all life from the cosmos, and he believed that the brilliant eredar would be pivotal in leading the vast demonic army he was gathering. Thus, he contacted the eredar's three most prominent leaders: Kil'jaeden, Archimonde, and Velen. In exchange for the loyalty of the eredar race, Sargeras offered untold power and knowledge.

The sad thing is, it would have been so easy to do right. Archimonde and Kil'Jaeden start attempting to conquer the universe. Velen begs the Titans for help, the Titans send Sargeras. Sargeras kicks ass all over the eredar, and all is okay. Then Sargeras goes crazy, and lets the imprisoned eredar out. Velen and the non-evil eredar try to stop him, fail, and only survive by running away with the help of the naaru. Sargeras remains pissed ever since. EASY.

Seriously. This is downright bizzare.

In addition, the Draenei hold no affinity for certain Horde races. They outright hate the Orcs, who nearly drove the Draenei to extinction in Outland. And more recently, the Blood Elves stole technology from the Draenei and also sabotaged their dimensional ship, which crash landed on Azeroth.

And more recently, the Blood Elves stole technology from the Draenei and also sabotaged their dimensional ship, which crash landed on Azeroth.

What? Is this a joke? Who's WRITING THIS?

Amazing story my ass. :p

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 09:55:30 PM »

Quote from: "Dio"
Quote from: "The Darkrider"

I wish it would have been something completely new, like creating some rebel bug race from the Ahn'Qiraj story or the dragonkin, but I guess they just stuck with what was available and matched the storyline. :P

I just hope they don't use the exact look as the draenei that hang around in Swamp Of Sorrows... they look like a bunch of pansies. lol

It says in the article they will look different.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Gearhead

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 10:14:52 PM »

Heh.  They threw everyone for a loop by revealing that the Draeni ARE the Eredar.  As they were before they were tainted by Sageras.

- Kickin it old school? ... Or something...
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 12:25:13 PM »

Dagg, DR, and I talked about this at great length last night....and I'm finding myself indifferent when it comes to the Draenei.

The Blood Elves sound awesome....totally geared for magic. The Draenei.....I dunno, maybe I'm still coming to grips with the new race. Not like I really wanted to see anything else besides Dragonkin. Anyway....always nice to have another Paladin capable class.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 02:53:28 PM »

1% spell hit aura is pretty fucking fantastic.  Nice to see absolutely no attempts to change AF=PVE Horde=PVP.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 10:15:47 PM »

I agree Rico.  I'm not liking the whole War Stomp + Blood Elf racial.  If used right, they can stun and silence a whole raid for a good amount of time.

Gearhead

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 10:59:34 AM »

The BE ability only has an 8 meter radius and lasts for 2 seconds.  The NASTY thing is..

+20 Rage for each Mana Tap.

8 yard silence for 2 seconds and 60 Rage.

Mortal Strike BE's are gonna be SAVAGE.

- Kickin it old school? ... Or something...
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2006, 02:50:00 AM »

why are people creaming over 1%? im a ffxi so maybee i dont understand but 1% seems like garbage

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2006, 03:45:43 AM »

1% hit would be the equivalent of weapon skill in FFXI.  For every level a monster is above a caster class, their ability to hit with a spell is lowered.  So 1% aura is quite nice.  Nothing amazing, but not a horrible racial.

Dio

... I'm not Dead.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2006, 03:14:17 PM »

Quote from: "Daggerstrike"
It says in the article they will look different.

Yeah, they do look different... At least according to Blizzard, now. They finally made the page for the Draenei on their Burning Crusade webpage.

World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade -> Draenei

Infinite.Bit Radio
Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2006, 04:22:49 PM »

+hit is pretty underrated, as is +weapon skill.  Most raid mobs are higher than the player cap of level 60, and raid bosses so far are set at level 63, meaning you need somewhere around 7% +hit to be able to get down to the regular 5% missrate.  And while it's not quite as psychologically noticable as getting a bigger crit because you got some damage gear, you have to stack a lot of damage to make up for a percentage of hit if you're below the hit cap.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: