Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 03:20:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319307 Posts in 13037 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  A Vampyre Story- about freaking time
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: A Vampyre Story- about freaking time  (Read 5290 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« on: October 23, 2008, 10:54:29 PM »

According to The Adventure Company's website, A Vampyre Story, the long awaited graphic adventure by ex-LucasArts director Bill Tiller that's been in development and limbo since 2004, is slated for a November 2008 release.  Any of you graphic adventure fans going to pick it up, or has it been long forgotten in the wait?  I've missed that distinct LucasArts comedy style of adventure since Grim Fandango. 

For me, I'm still waiting to see the system requirements on it.  If my computator meets the specs, that's *the* game I want this year.  Despite my better judgment and the modicum of objectivity I should maintain as a critic, I have insanely high expectations for this one. 

http://www.theadventurecompanygames.com/vampyre_story/index.php

I approve of this nonsense!
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 01:23:50 PM »

It's been an age since I last played a really good graphic adventure, and this one looks like it'll scratch that particular itch.  I can't believe I hadn't heard of it until now. :P

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 04:16:54 PM »

And I'll be honest, a lot of what The Adventure Company's published haven't been A-grade titles.  Many of them have been mediocre or worse.  Stuff like Aura, Sacred Stones, Keepsake, and a helluva lot more were graphic adventure shovelware.  There hasn't been anything in years that could rival Broken Sword, Gabriel Knight, Grim Fandango, or The Longest Journey.  I trust Bill Tiller.  He directed The Dig, Monkey Island, and I believe that Indiana Jones graphic adventure. 

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 04:21:11 PM »

Looks interesting.

I never played The Dig, but I've always had it on my radar somehow. Was it good? I've heard some mixed reviews.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 04:31:20 PM »

The thing with The Dig is that unlike other LucasArts adventures such as Monkey Island, Full Throttle, Sam & Max, Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, or Grim Fandango, The Dig was a more serious minded adventure and not a comedic one.  That's one reason I think it wasn't as well-received.  It's also a more patient sci-fi tale about excavating a planet rather than a more actiony, alien-blasting sci-fi experience.  It's been a LONG time since I played and and I personally remember not really liking it at first, but liking it better down the road.  It remains one of the only, if not THE only LucasArts adventure to be sci-fi. 

For comedic sci-fi graphic adventures, the Space Quest series is it.  I've seen the Space Quest collection available at Gamestops for 10-15 bucks.  Just the idea that the fate of the universe is in the hands of a bumbling janitor named Roger Wilco is enough to make me chuckle. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 04:36:36 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 07:49:50 PM »

I can't be the only one who picked up A Vampyre Story this week, can I?  I KNOW there are other graphic adventure fans among our populace.  I only got my copy today and only played it for a couple of hours, but man this game is fantastic so far. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 11:37:18 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 03:59:13 AM »

I will be next week. Didn't have the moolah just this week.
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 02:21:52 PM »

Graphic adventures are my fave games of all time. As much as I love RPG's, I have even fonder memories of games like Full Throttle, Monkey Island, Sam And Max, Loom, Indiana Jones, etc. I completely got out of PC gaming when that genre died out. It'd be great if this came out for one of the consoles. The Wii seems a perfect fit for graphic adventures, but so far Zack and Wiki, the Agatha Christie crappy port and Sam And Max are the only ones to make it to the Wii. None that I know of for the PS3 or 360 yet, a few for the DS. I did try downloading this demo a week or so ago and it wouldn't work, so I'm assuming my PC, at 3 years old, is too old already to run this game.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 05:45:32 PM »

According to The Adventure Company's site, the system specs for A Vampyre Story aren't that steep:

http://theadventurecompanygames.com/vampyre_story/index.php

Mine's below the minimum specs (their minimum is 1.6 GhZ, 512 megs RAM.  Mine's 1.5 GhZ, 504 megs RAM.)  and it runs fine, albeit with load times that'd be shorter if my PC were faster.  So Blonde has similar specs to AVS and that demo ran on my computer just fine.  Graphic adventures typically don't have insane requirements.

When I installed AVS, selecting Intel instead of ATI/nVIDIA allowed it to run.  When I selected the latter, I got an error message when I tried to play.  Still, the game is good.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 05:48:31 PM by Dincrest » Logged

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 01:44:30 PM »

I'm playing it a little.  It's been a while since I've played an adventure game, so I'm finding that I'm having trouble getting into the proper mindset to figure this shit out.

I'm not exactly sold on the main character's voice. :P

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 06:35:34 PM »

The French accent is inconsistent, but considering she's been an opera singer since birth and not all operas are in French, many being in Italian, German, and others, I'm okay with her multifaceted accent.  And considering she's a hoity-toity priss, I think the voice works fine with its near constant indignation.   

Opera singers typically don't have very good speaking voices.  Look at Pavarotti.  When he sings, it's an absolutely glorious tenor that makes angels swoon.  But when he speaks, his voice is quite squeaky and very unbefitting of a large bearded man like him who you'd expect to have a more gruff speaking voice.

My favorite voice so far is that of Barb the Iron Maiden.

For anyone playing AVS, the tab key is your best friend because the environments all have INSANE amounts of hotspots.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 06:51:05 PM by Dincrest » Logged

CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 08:01:32 PM »

Hey Dincrest.  Are you going to write a review on this game?

Anyways, have you played Culpa Innata?  That was one one of the last adventure games that I thought was fanastic.  A sequal is coming out later too. 

Currently Playing:  Fate/Extra, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Thief
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 09:01:45 PM »

The review for this game is on the main page... http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/A_Vampire_Story/index.html

CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 09:12:37 PM »

Heh,  I miss these things since I bookmark the forum instead of the main page.

It's too bad the cutscenes aren't subtitled.  I always have them on because I think I have a slight hearing problem. 

Currently Playing:  Fate/Extra, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Thief
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 09:31:03 PM »

Heh,  I miss these things since I bookmark the forum instead of the main page.

Alot of people do that.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: