Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 07:34:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327399 Posts in 13404 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What are the best versions of the Final Fantasy games?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: What are the best versions of the Final Fantasy games?  (Read 9267 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2008, 12:49:41 PM »

Well, that seems to have debunked that wild speculation then! Though Blace probably qualifies.

Personally, I was 17 when I played X. It was the one I enjoyed most upon playing it post 16-bit, but I'm not sure how much I'd like it now. Though I think I liked VII about as much when I finally played through to beat it as when I first did, but that could be nostalgia too. If nothing else I really hate hearing FFX's VA now.

I still had played and beaten FF7, 8, 9 , and Tactics before I played that game and I definitely think it's better than those. FF8 is my least favorite of that bunch, but I still think it's a great game.

Madoka

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2008, 04:04:26 PM »

FF9 is just an overall polished gem with very few flaws.

FF9 used to be my favorite Final Fantasy games, but then I tried to replay it.  Ignoring the dated graphics (which admittedly look much better than FF7-8), my main problem when replaying the game was the battle speed.  Seriously, battles were so slow paced it was painful: not only do battles have long load times to get started, but it seemed like everyone's ATB took forever to fill up.  In the end, I gave up on my replaying efforts because the battles were just so slow & boring.

One little quirk about the game constantly threw me off. In 7 and 8, when a characters ATB filled up, you input a command, and it was executed right away. In 9, a character's ATB would fill up and the game would allow you to input a command. But it didn't act right away and would go into a queue that was in the same order that your characters' input occured in. Sometimes I would have 3 commands queued up, and the enemy could act in between.

My problem was that I would order Dagger to heal Vivi, which got queued. The enemy would KO Vivi next, then Dagger Cura's the KO'd Vivi to no effect when I would have done something different. Still, I enjoyed the game; it was just something that would throw me off from time to time.
Gligarman

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2008, 05:50:12 AM »

Final Fantasy I & II
- GBA. It's more convenient because you can play it on the go, plus there are no load times.

Final Fantasy III
- DS. Unless you can read Japanese you don't have a choice with this one.

Final Fantasy IV
- GBA or DS. The DS version has updated graphics but the GBA version is closer to the original. Both versions feature improved translations over the original SNES release.

Final Fantasy V
- GBA. I personally don't care for this one too much but the GBA version has no load times and you can play it on the go.

Final Fantasy VI
- GBA. This is the best version of the this game that's ever been released. It has a vastly improved translation and some nice extras. I highly recommend it over the PS1 or SNES versions.

All of the other games were only released on the various Play Stations with the exception of XI which can be played on the PC. The PC version is much more accessible than the PS2 version.

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2008, 09:03:16 AM »

Don't forget the 360 version of FFXI, which is pretty darned good either way.
lordyuanshu
Walkthrough FAQ Guides

TecmoSuperBowl
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2008, 01:46:41 PM »

If I remember correctly there is something a little wonky about the active battle system in FFIV GBA. Characters just go out of order. Having a new translation is neat but not really a big deal for me...I prefer FFIV Hardtype (JPN version). Game is SO much more challenging than the FFII that made it America. The added abilities for each character aren't really a big deal but cool to have at times.

Tankallex
Warrior

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2008, 03:56:23 PM »

Why on earth would you skip X and play X-2? That's crazy. And XII is a GREAT game, I would strongly recommend that. Anyway;

FFI- I played the PSP version and I had a good time with it.
FFII- Same as above, very fun game.
FFIII- haven't played this one for the DS yet, as far as I know that's the only version that made it to the U.S.
FFIV- the SNES version is classic and the best way to go
FFV- I played this for the PS1, but the GBA version looks really good.
FFVI- I played this when it was III on the SNES, and VI for the PS1, I can recommend both.
FFVII- PS1 deffinately.
FFVIII- PS1 again.
FFIX- only on the PS1.
FFX- Don't skip it, it's actually pretty good.
FFX-2- If you do skip X, don't play this.
FFXII- PS2, great game
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2008, 02:53:51 PM »

Final Fantasy I & II
- GBA. It's more convenient because you can play it on the go, plus there are no load times.
I'm guessing that most of the people recommending the GBA version of FF I & II have never played the PSP versions. The PSP versions are much nicer graphically, and includes all the extra GBA content. They are surprising under-rated and unknown, perhaps because the PSP doesn't have as much popularity as the GBA. It rankles me to see them ignored yet again, hence my note. :)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2008, 04:13:38 PM »

The reason why people hated the PSP versions was simply because they didn't bundle them together like they did with the GBA release, and they even cut out some extra stuff. That and they were 30 bucks a piece, so it was hard to recommend them over the cheap and bundled GBA version.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2008, 05:13:59 PM »

So which is the best translation of FFIV?

PS1, GBA or DS?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2008, 07:21:30 PM »

I like the DS version of the three.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2008, 08:36:38 PM »

PS1, GBA or DS?

Simply best localization? Must likely the GBA game, I hear it polishes the PS1 translation without needlessly resorting to fancier language like the DS version did. Not that such dialog is inherently bad, but it's gratuitous for something like FFIV. Can make the silly plot sillier if you want that though!

In the case of best version period I said PS1 at the start of the threat, but to elaborate it has the same balance and gameplay of the original 'Hardtype' version, and is also the only PS1 port worth bothering thanks to not having awful load outside of handling game saves. The GBA version has that ATB bug and I kinda wonder if it could've become too easy, and the DS version drags out too fucking much by the endgame.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2008, 08:58:53 AM »

So which is the best translation of FFIV?

PS1, GBA or DS?

Because I haven't played the DS remake yet, I'll say GBA. I do NOT recommend the PS1 version. The loading in battles are horrid. It takes freakin' ages to use "Kick" and "Twin", and several more abilities as well.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2008, 10:38:21 AM »

The reason why people hated the PSP versions was simply because they didn't bundle them together like they did with the GBA release, and they even cut out some extra stuff. That and they were 30 bucks a piece, so it was hard to recommend them over the cheap and bundled GBA version.
Yeah, but we're talking about the best versions of titles, not a value analysis. :)

I was unaware anything got cut from the PSP versions of FF 1 & 2. Can you give any examples? All of the GBA content is there, and I think there may have even been a couple additions...
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »

Because I haven't played the DS remake yet, I'll say GBA. I do NOT recommend the PS1 version. The loading in battles are horrid. It takes freakin' ages to use "Kick" and "Twin", and several more abilities as well.

I can guarantee that was in the SNES version too, and it definitely was in the DS version. It's not loading, it just takes longer for some actions to activate. Unless you mean graphical slowdown or something, but then I recall hearing the GBA version had some significant slowdown.

As for FF: Admittedly II probably is best on the PSP, but 1 just sounds ridiculously easy and wasn't designed for normal MP. Origins is best there, otherwise it seems finding a Let's Play would be more practical.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2008, 06:27:40 AM »

It takes a lot longer in the PS1 version as far as I can remember.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: