Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2014, 09:44:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337759 Posts in 13830 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Do you use strategy guides playing rpg's ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Do you use strategy guides playing rpg's ?  (Read 5537 times)
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 12:26:02 AM »

Walkthroughs: No way.

Game mechanics: Absolutely, especially when there's character customization involved and the game doesn't give me enough information. DQVIII as a example, each character can spec different weapons. It's not enough for me to say to myself 'I'll give the hero spears, swords are overused'. That's a factor(And I did go spears when I played DQVIII because of it), but I want more information than that. What abilities am I going to get if I go swords? What do I get if I go spears? That's need to know information for me, and the more detailed the information the better.

Even if customization isn't involved I find it's nice to know how things work. Hey, this accessory lets me counter attack. I wonder how often? To the internet!
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 08:25:36 AM »

Just when i'm stuck, I go on GameFAQs. Otherwise, no.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2008, 01:20:56 PM »

No, I usually do not use guides unless I'm really stuck. I often use them for things like fusion spells in Persona games or which demons fuse together in Nocturne. Otherwise I just play the game without a guide.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 11:24:02 PM »

Nope, just when i get stuck in something that i seriously have no idea how to pass, usually some dumb puzzle here and there.
Tankallex
Warrior

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 03:55:16 PM »

Nope, I always feel like if I can't go through the game on my own then I shouldn't go through it at all. I don't mind it if other people use one, I just never use them myself.
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2008, 11:11:22 PM »

Only once and a while...and only for certain games.  I'm one of those people that doesn't have time to play through games more than once, so if I want to do everything the game has to offer and accomplish I won't hesitate to look at gamefaqs or occasionally a guide.  I hate finishing a game to find that I missed out on some things or sidequests, especially when alternate endings are involved.  I don't like depending on guides for everything though, I feel more rewarded when I can figure things out for myself, on the flipside though I don't have to the time to be stuck on something forever.  Just depends on how anxious I am to get through the game.

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2008, 11:12:21 PM »

Nope, just when i get stuck in something that i seriously have no idea how to pass, usually some dumb puzzle here and there.

I do the same, though if I'm playing through a game a second time, I'll peek at a strategy guide to see if I missed any interesting secrets.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2008, 01:00:48 AM »

I always try to beat games without using guides of any kind, unless I need to... but if I like a game enough I'll usually end up playing it again and using a guide to get all the sidequests/secrets etc.
Gligarman

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2008, 05:51:17 AM »

I've been trying to play RPG's more without strategy guides. But if I want to go all out and get everything, then I use the guide.

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 01:48:54 PM »

I steer away from strategy guides as much as possible. The last one I faintly remember using is a FAQ for Shadow Hearts Covenant, purely in response to its insane encounter rate, and boring linear gameplay. I decided to use it since I figured my time wasted on a game I dislike should be as little as possible, but since I'm responsible consciously in beating a game I purchased, I should do so efficiently.

But to be honest, with the lack of freetime I've recently decided to designate to gaming, I think FAQs/SGuides would be of better benefit since I feel pressed to finish my backlog, but uninterested in sitting on my ass and doing so for hours, instead of running, studying, gaining progress on my lovely research paper and spending time outside of the house.

I should use that for FFXII actually. I don't go word for word, but if I notice it's a fetch and go quest, yeah - I'll see the pathway to go instead of exploring. My childhood excitement on touching every nook and crany dissipates with my aging and my personal idea of what's beneficial to me immediately. It's sad and pitiful. I make it sound like I don't love RPGs, but I do. :>
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2008, 02:08:59 PM »

I use them to check my progress and if I'm stuck and can't figure the puzzle/situation out.

What I've learned from most FAQs is that they tell you to do something you're already doing, and it didn't work, and that's why you visited the FAQ in the first place.
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 05:54:02 PM »

Like most people've said, I don't use a FAQ on first playthrough. I'll look at a FAQ after I beat a game and see what I missed, and if it's worth re-playing the entire game, I'll go for it. But that has never happened.

I used FAQs when I was younger though, for games like Legend of Legaia, Tales of Destiny, Valkyrie Profile (need a FAQ to get the only good ending)...

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2008, 08:37:02 PM »

I think someone mentioned this before, but I'll come back to it since I think it opens up an interesting path for discussion. 

Does requiring the use of a guide necessarily dictate poor game design?  Or is it just the level 1 wimp button? 

On the one hand, plenty of gamers find the use of a guide or cheat device a cop-out and see it as gamers being too lazy to use their own noggins.

In some cases, I think use of a guide can be a sign of poor game design.  One notable example is that of in-game secrets so obscure that they're only there to sell guides.  How can one use his or her noggin to piece together clues if there's nothing to go on?   

Some graphic adventures I've played had puzzles so freaking obscure, obtuse, twiddly, and/or requiring super-ultra-precise pixel hunting that I'd try it for an insane amount of time till my brain hurt, throw up my hands in frustration, look up the answer in a guide, and say, "how in blue blazes was I supposed to figure that out?"  I consider myself an intelligent and well-educated person, but it's poor design when a puzzle seems to require clairvoyance or dumb luck.  That cookie baking puzzle in Still Life comes to mind.

However, what I think truly dictates poor game design is if I have to resort to the level 2 wimp button- the cheat device (i.e. a GameShark.)  Xenosaga II and Beyond the Beyond are two games that totally justify the use of cheat devices.  If I have to use a cheat device to make a game fun, THAT is poor design. 

So, yeah, semi-tangential nutshell: FAQ/strategy guide and cheat device usage as a mark of poor game design?  FAQ/strategy guide and cheat device usage as a mark of gamer laziness?  Everything on a case by case basis? 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 09:02:03 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: