Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2014, 07:21:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337886 Posts in 13833 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Just Beat Fable 2 *my small review*
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Just Beat Fable 2 *my small review*  (Read 3019 times)
Antizerg

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2008, 06:33:44 PM »

Before I go on with my rants, let me just say I personally give Fable 2 a 7 out of 10. The game had excellent graphics, a decent story that brought us great presentation. This game will probably be on most people's top 10 list of best RPG's for the xbox 360 lifespan. Most games that I classify as being a Class A rpg ussually ends up getting better as you go along the story. But Fable 2 failed to do this for me. The game started off with a bang, but after exploring the first several towns/camps it just continue the same excitement for me. I felt the game left alot of RPG basics out of the equation. The game was designed to not have alot of enemies in general areas, pretty much preventing grinding/leveling. 70% of the Enemies you encounter are ethier hobbes or bandits, which also turned me off of the combat. The magic spells had a poor selection, and the way you use magic pretty much makes you use one spell. Yes you can have different spells at different charges, but why settle for a weaker inferno when you can have a stronger shock. Personally this game could of used a skill tree based system and really made you work for stronger spells. The Strength and Skill had only 3 categories of upgrades? Thats sort of weak if you ask me. The games loot system was horrible. There was only a handful of "unique" weapons you could choose from, most treasures you find or dig up are completely useless. The gargoyles and silver key idea was cool, i wish they would of implemented more stuff like this to give it a more adventure feel. But my biggest complaint of all about this game is the world itself. I was hoping this game would have vast fields you could just keep walking through. Everytime i tried just exploring mindlessly, minutes into the journey i hit a road block of some sort. They claim "paths are for wimps" but most of the areas only include a dirt path for you to follow. I hope Fable 3 goes back to the RPG basics of leveling/grinding/ enemy variety. I also hope Fable 3 is really much bigger, and doesnt constrict you to so many linear paths. Overall i recommend anyone to play this game, its a good refresher for action RPGS. I dont regret my purchase.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 01:16:17 PM »

You wanted grinding? I don't think that's ever been a staple of Western RPGs. If you wanted to grind, you could keep moving into and out of caves and surrounding fields, as enemies respawn. Some areas have more than 100 enemies in a confined space.

I agree with some of these points, but I don't understand some of your others. You say the loot system is terrible and that most items are useless, but why? Most items I've found are books or documents that provide more insight into the story or different regions and characters in Albion. Much of it is food, which affects purity and corruption levels, provides experience, and heals you. I haven't found many weapons, but all but two of the ones I have found have been very useful, through either their augmented abilities or attack power.

And you say that most enemies you fight are either bandits or Hobbes, but this changes by about halfway through the game. Hobbes stick around, but new types appear, some of which run at you and explode, and some which cast magic, including summoning skeletons. And highwaymen begin to either lead or replace bandits, and they are more interesting to fight because they're faster and can quick draw revolvers to shoot you in the middle of a sword combo.

The charging for the spell system allowed less of a charge time for weaker spells and longer charge times for stronger ones. For your weak Inferno, if it was at level one, you'd only have to just tap B. If you wanted to cast a top level Shock, you'd be holding B for six seconds.

I haven't finished the game yet, but I'm nearing the end of the
Code:
Hero of Skill
section, and I'm assuming I've been to nearly every area. There hasn't been even one yet that's confined me to just a dirt path, so I'm not sure where you found those.

My problems with the game don't lie in its content. What's there is fantastic to me. Everything drips of atmosphere and it all makes sense within the world. But the technical problems are what drags it down. Fable 2 has crashed on me more than any other game, ever. It locks up sometimes when I try quick traveling, sometimes during a save, and sometimes when I'm scrolling through items. It chugs along most of the time, like the engine is collapsing under its own weight. NPCs often get trapped in scenery and sometimes fall through the ground or get stuck in walls and disappear completely. I had a little girl named Nora following me around asking for an autograph after I bought her family's house. Nora was invisible. She also spoke the same lines with two distinctly different voices, at the same time. After I locked onto her and named her "Creepy," she loaded two character models, both of which were different and mapped on top of each other. Nora had two heads, one with pigtails, and the other looking like it came off a porcelain doll. I lead Nora to a field and shot her in the back.

[/url]
Antizerg

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 04:33:42 PM »

Bandit Coast is just a simple trail, Wraithmarsh is a simple trail just more widened, Brightwood is just a simple trail. When i complained about the loot system, it was mainly item based. For my personal experience getting a book was worthless, id rather have a bad ass sword that i dug up. Grinding was possible, but i failed to make the point of why grind, there was no reward, you could easily max your skills/str/will. I wish they could of let you become like a God if you choose to grind enough.
Antizerg

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 04:35:30 PM »

lets face it, fable 2 maybe only had like 10 different enemy designs. The average rpg should have over 20-30.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 05:45:05 PM »

There are 12 basic enemy types, plus 2 (villagers and guards) if you choose to be evil. Most types have variations in mages, melee fighters, ranged fighters, kamikaze, etc. Some are simply stronger than others, some take longer to put down or are resistant to certain attack. There are between 20 and 30 enemy models total.

Bandit Coast is the only area that's really just a trail with some extra padding. Wraithmarsh and Brightwood are both fairly wide open areas. I can see where you're coming from, but I can't concede that they're simply trails, because there's a lot of real estate to both that's off the beaten path.

And I understand your complaint about grinding a little better now. Would you agree that the game is too easy? You made that comment about becoming like a god, but I think you're like that from the outset. It's awfully tough to lose in this game.

[/url]
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 06:12:31 PM »

Play Disgaea if you want to grind.
Antizerg

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 03:04:57 AM »

yes i would agree that this game was too easy, but the way its fighting is, it sets itself up for that. Its not as fast pace as per say diablo. So being sort of  dumbed down speed wise, and having your char overpowered from the start does put a easiness involved. I was hoping for a challenge, and thus if you put the time into it, you could make your char a God. But as you said, your char already is lol
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 02:03:35 PM »

I actually really liked the fact that my character became powerful early on. It helped add to the feeling that your character is a legendary hero from an epic poem or something similar.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 09:09:18 PM »

Noticed a full review of this game's been posted here. I agree with most of the points it made about gameplay, but I disagree with two of its major focuses:
1.) Technical hitches are not rare in this game. They're very, very common. Some are literally game-ending bugs that involve autosaves, totally fucking up save files and requiring players to restart the entire game. I can expect to see a very obvious bug every ten minutes or so. Some are random, some can be reproduced. For those that have unlocked the last Demon Door, try walking toward it again. You'll see it spawn locked, yawn, and then immediately return to being open. Now try walking into the purple swirl. Don't hold A. You can walk right through it and end up in an untextured box.

That's just one example. In Westcliff, you can swim to the edge of the water. Turns out Albion's world is flat. Again, something small, but these things break the immersion. I guess that example wouldn't be considered a bug, really, but it's a definite flaw in the game.

How about the menu screens locking up or slowing down the more items you collect? NPC textures not loading so the player is followed around by ghost characters? Dog or golden trail tripping up and pointing you in the wrong direction? Camera freak outs when your character passes through confined spaces?

Tearing is a huge deal in the childhood section of the game, and there are instances and circumstances which will trigger some in-game loading and cause the frame rate to drop, sometimes into a slideshow. These circumstances could be anything from sleeping in a bed with too many NPCs around to using a high-level magic spell against more than ten enemies.

2.) Co-op really isn't all that bad. It works as advertised, minus one thing: you can't use your character if you're playing in another player's world. Well, that's not exactly correct; you still get spoils, just like you would if you were going solo, but you can't use the model you've customized. You choose from a preset. If you're using your save file, that preset retains all spells and abilities you've previously learned.

The camera isn't too bad, either. The host can center it at will, but it usually does a good job of keeping track of both characters. Whether or not confining both players to a shared screen is a good idea is arguable, but what we've got is done well. In wide open areas, especially, the game does a good job of giving a much wider view of things. And although the players share a screen, they can be a hundred feet or so apart (maybe more). Like solo play, the only time I ran into much trouble with the co-op camera was when I was playing in a confined space or when there was a large group of enemies on screen. I have to say, though, that the frame rate is always slower in co-op combat than it is when playing alone. This isn't always the case when in towns, but as soon as a battle is initiated, it drops.

Anyway, that's my small argument.

[/url]
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 09:21:29 AM »

Sounds like the mentallity of PC game development has finally hit consoles.

cosapi
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »

Just so you know, things like "tons of enemies to kill", "grinding/leveling", "magic spells", "the strongest spell possible", "loots", are not the basics for an RPG.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 12:40:41 PM »

Gotta ask the question... so what do you feel IS the basis for an RPG?

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Antizerg

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 12:58:47 AM »

Everyone will have their own opinion of why they play a RPG and what they feel it should obtain. Me personally i want a option to grind if i choose, i want massive choices of weapons/armors. I want tons of side quests(which fable does have) I want some badass endgame boss that is hard as hell and if you choose to beat him you get some badass item. If your gonna have online capabilites, make it to where you can trade items, and duel. If your gonna have a hack n slash game, that has online co-op, why not make a arena to duel in? Of course fable wouldnt benefit this because there is poor selection of weapons/spells/char builds. Personally you qouted some things i said and pretty much stated that those dont make a rpg. But in my views of what i play, YES that does make a rpg. THATS WHY i do play rpgs. No i am not a WoW fanboy that loves to grind loot and duel all day. My favorite rpgs couldnt even dream of a online benefit.

Take enchanted arms for example, a simple rpg with many different types of enemies to choose from, you could take your team on xbox live and face another team.

Final Fantasy 6, there was a character selection to choose from, many different items, a grinders galore, a beautiful story that unfolded one of the best games in our genre.

Why didnt fable just do a traditional level up system along with the skill point system, made the enemies a lil bit harder or more quanity. I am not bashing Fable 2 at all, i loved the game, but it could of been so much more.

How can you question someones view on what a RPG is? You take 20 people in a room who love rpgs and ask them all why they love rpgs and what should be in a RPG, they all will answer similiar i bet. Please Do tell what a rpg really is. A level up system is major, enemies are major, the world is major, the story is major. Yes my friend being able to grind and level up and loot and fight different enemies and find a godly weapon/spell is the basics of a rpg!
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 11:13:18 AM »

The RPG genre, especially the JRPG genre, has started to become stale (see the Tales series.) You're condemning Lionhead Studios for doing a RPG differently and you're mad that they didn't fall into the conventions of all the other RPGs out there?

Go and play a game from the past if that's what you're looking for.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 11:27:02 AM »

If your gonna have online capabilites, make it to where you can trade items, and duel. If your gonna have a hack n slash game, that has online co-op, why not make a arena to duel in?
You have all these things. If you meant a PvP arena, then yeah, that's absent, but you have a seven floor arena for folks to play through together, with leaderboards and everything.

[/url]
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: