Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 31, 2014, 12:26:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329985 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fallout 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Fallout 3  (Read 28032 times)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 04:53:25 PM »

Okay, you girls who have the PC version can probably shed a little light on something for me.  Word on the street is that Fallout 3 shipped with a particularly strict version of SecuROM.  I can't decide if it's just a matter of the internet getting up in arms over something minor or not.  Have any of you had any problems with this shit?

Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 06:52:13 PM »

Well I know several people with the pc version and there have been 0 issues with it so far from them. From what I read, specifically joystiq, the version of secrurom on the pc is just for cd checking and all the other features of secrurom were not enabled. At least that's what Bethesda is telling them.

PS: Crab-people suck.

Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 08:46:44 PM »

Yeah, I decided to grab the PC version, and I havnt had a problem.  And ive got nerosoft or something like that on here.  *shrug*

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 01:53:50 PM »

This game is amazing. I wasn't much into it at first, but it has grown on me like a mutated hand.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 04:36:54 PM »

Okay, you girls who have the PC version can probably shed a little light on something for me.  Word on the street is that Fallout 3 shipped with a particularly strict version of SecuROM.  I can't decide if it's just a matter of the internet getting up in arms over something minor or not.  Have any of you had any problems with this shit?

What Adapheon said. This isn't like EA's games or stuff like Bioshock and Far Cry 2 where you have install limits and that garbage. It's pretty much BECAUSE of those examples that people are now overly sensitive to SecuROM. Personally, I just wish they'd take it out of Steam where it comes off as completely unnecessary, but I bet there's some technical issue that keeps them from doing that (Switching out a Steam .EXE for one in a regular install perhaps?), and speaking of Steam the Fallout 3 page on that doesn't list DRM at all while it does for FarCry 2 and Crysis: Warhead.
Adapheon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 09:32:38 PM »

People may say this game isn't a fallout-y as they like but i will give it this, much like the old ones you die A LOT.

or at least I do...and I'm going to stick by my earlier sentiment, those crab people do in fact suck.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »

I rarely die in this game. I've died like 2 times in 10 hours or so.

Adapheon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 10:58:18 PM »

I've died two times in the last 10 minutes. Stupid floating robot shooting this green crap at me

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008, 06:43:29 AM »

I only played 3 hours. Left the vault, found a nearby school and killed the raiders inside. I wish you could carry an infinite amount of equipment but otherwise the game is fantastic. I can't wait to explore the damn thing.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
mizuki_no_beatdown
AMG A GIRL

Women are from Venus

mizuki_no_beatdown@yahoo.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2008, 01:41:27 AM »

I've died two times in the last 10 minutes. Stupid floating robot shooting this green crap at me
  Mister Gutsy! I've had the same experience with him. What a bitch.

I've died a total of five times so far, an' I'm at level 14 now. I think the insane amount of stimpaks I use is the only thing that keeps me from dying much. Atleast it seems like I've used more than what'd be considered average.

The enemies in this game are great. It never gets old facing them. And some of 'em genuinely freak me out. I'd say Yao Guai scare me the most, but I'm also very afraid of dudes with missile launchers. 

I'm so addicted to this game at the moment. It's the only Fallout I've ever played, makes me wanna check out the earlier games, though I'm sure the gameplay's different. Mainly, I just wanna play more Fallout 3, though.

Anybody here have a favorite weapon?

« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 01:46:11 AM by mizuki_no_beatdown » Logged

Playing : Lunar the Silver Star
Recently Beaten: E.G.G.
Awaiting : Red Dead Redemption, Arc Rise Fantasia
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2008, 08:39:29 AM »

I'm at around lvl 14 now and i'm  stressing out about finishing the game too soon. You really have to get out and explore to find quests which is really cool. I hope Bethesda is hard at work on some expansion pack material because I have a feeling i'll have this game finished up by Christmas. As for the mister Gutsy bots, pulse grenades take care of them real quick.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2008, 06:05:59 AM »

I've played 7 hours and haven't done almost anything related to the main story. I get into the sidequests and forget that there's a main story to play. There's just so much to do and so many choices to make.

The game is hard though, you're really fighting to survive all the time. Ultimately the word that I think defines this game best is fascinating. That's the feeling I get when I'm exploring that world.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
mizuki_no_beatdown
AMG A GIRL

Women are from Venus

mizuki_no_beatdown@yahoo.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2008, 09:19:59 PM »

Ultimately the word that I think defines this game best is fascinating. That's the feeling I get when I'm exploring that world.

^ Exactly this. I've been playing around 40 hours and have yet to pursue the main quest myself, but instead of feeling bogged down by too many additional quests or places to explore, I still feel like I'm making progress. Heck, just journeying back and forth between locations I could fast travel to keeps me entertained.

One thing though... I'm having way too much trouble when it comes to making decisions. I can't seem to do anything evil! I feel too guilty. 

Like:

Code:
In Megaton, after talking to Mister Burke, I ran and told Lucas Simms about what he said and ended up getting the sheriff killed. Now when I visit Megaton, if I bump into his kid I feel compelled to talk to him. Like that'll make up for getting his pops killed. I even refrained from stealing the Sugar Bombs on his shelf. Heh heh

Ever since then I turned into a total saint. Maybe with my next character I'll go for the bad karma. Being neutral seems tough.

Playing : Lunar the Silver Star
Recently Beaten: E.G.G.
Awaiting : Red Dead Redemption, Arc Rise Fantasia
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2008, 11:17:07 PM »

I wind up getting it for 360. I rarely get into western RPGs to be quite honest. Yes, customization and freedom of exploration kicks ass, but I tend to prefer to have some structure and get more into the visual novel type of RPG gaming, but that is just a matter of personal taste. A lot of friends I talked to hyped it immensely, and I felt impulsive to give it a shot without much research just to get myself surprised. I find it kind of bland, and got into the same feelings I felt about Morrowind (which I got real bored of within days), but Fallout 3 is clicking with me well. I guess I simply like the world and characters moreso than all those fantasy worlds.

I decided to screw around and go the evil path and give myself high speech skill and charisma to bs my way through some things, which does get amusing. Currently clocked in at 20ish hours, lvl 13 and just slowly doing the main quest while doing a much of other sidequests. I did not think I would get this hooked honestly. ;p

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
beans
Cool Hand

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2008, 09:50:35 PM »

I've preached Fallout goodness since forever, it feels like now.  I've been waiting for this, for SO long, and of course when it came out I was swamped with work and barely have played it.

I was going to write a longwinded rant over how much crap Ive seen in print about the game.  I'll pass though, anyone whos played it and hasnt formed their opinion before playing the game knows.  It's good, Fallout good.

In fact during my first real in depth time with the game, I'll share a little something.

I'm half deaf, and have been since I was 3, I'm slowly going closer to full then half too and I imagine I have a few good years of decent hearing left.  I was maybe an hour in, and just about to see the wasteland for the first time.  At this point I didn't know there was an in game radio (was just messing around and forgot most of what I'd read in the manual) so I had my stereo on and was just listening to some classic rock station.  As I approached the little door that led me out into the wasteland the first time, After the gold rush by Neil Young started.  It just fit... perfectly to the next moments of the game, and just ingrained itself.

I moved down the deserted road into a burned out little town as the second verse started, I just got this overwhelming sense of sadness, how bleak it was.  Depressing, and amazing at the same time.  I think this will stay with me, and be one of the things I remember looking back at this game 10 years from now.

Some of the things I've seen in the game, are subtle but powerful, and it's pretty sad when some people who powered through the game then spout out about how bad it sucked and was soooo linear compared to the old games will never see these little things that make you really think.

Oh and on another note, I think most of these guys are tagging big guns or energy weapons and speech/science then just plowing through the game.  probably the same build good and then evil ways.

Sneak, Unarmed, Explosives.  Let the fun ensue! >:)

ps, I apologize for the small wall of text.  this is fallout however, those that know me know this is something I pop out of the woodwork for.

Still trying to shoot the damn dog in Duck Hunt.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: