Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 03:39:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330048 Posts in 13524 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Official U.S. Election Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Official U.S. Election Thread  (Read 18788 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 05:42:06 PM »

I'm voting for Barack so I can say I voted for the first black president.
Really didn't expect to see it in my lifetime.

Second black president.  Bill Clinton was the first black president... or at least he said he was:P

As for who I'm voting for in both the presidential and state elections?  No comment. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 09:21:36 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 08:47:45 PM »

If you live in a state where the electoral college doesn't need to follow the popular vote your vote for president doesn't matter. Sorry, but it doesn't.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 08:53:07 PM »

Barr/Root!  Whoo!

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 09:13:43 PM »

Barr/Root!  Whoo!

Hey, that's who I'm voting for!  I think, anyway.  I'm not 100% sure he's on the ballot here.

I wish it were so clear cut on my state's Senate race.  The political machine is spending way more money on this race than I ever remember, but all it's led me to think is that both candidates are giant fucking douchebags. :P

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 09:54:59 PM »

I want to vote, but im not good waiting in line in large crowds.  I get anxiety attacks and stuff, and this is my first year voting so im not sure if its like that or not, ill just have to see.

I wouldn't sweat it, those lines of people are full of rednecks and idiots who make me glad the election process isn't truly democratic.  Or maybe that's just Georgia.

It's too bad I couldn't vote in my old state since my vote sort of counts there, whereas here it's just another vote since the conclusion is already decided here, but at least once the crap hits the fan and the ideal crumbles before reality, I can say that I supported the guy  I think should have won (if McCain had defeated Bush, I don't think we'd have gotten into nearly the crazy, half-baked schemes Bush came up with the last eight years).  I guess my fear is that ultimately this election is just going to set up some horrible Republican nominee for president in 2012 who will win with ease (the mere thought of a Palin presidency is absolutely terrifying).

I think some people take voting too seriously though, my entire family voted for the other candidate and is mad at me now.  Lol.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 10:54:40 PM »

I want to vote, but im not good waiting in line in large crowds.  I get anxiety attacks and stuff, and this is my first year voting so im not sure if its like that or not, ill just have to see.
I guess my fear is that ultimately this election is just going to set up ... president in 2012 ... (the mere thought of a Palin presidency is absolutely terrifying).

They're already talking about her running.  Whether it'll happen or not in 2012, who knows.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2008, 04:20:04 AM »

I like how, as a Canadian, our election is the equivalent to the "Thanks for Coming Out" Award when compared to the States. x)
Rightfully so, though. 

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2008, 11:41:56 AM »

I like how, as a Canadian, our election is the equivalent to the "Thanks for Coming Out" Award when compared to the States. x)
Rightfully so, though. 

I remember getting to work one afternoon and checking cbc.ca.  ...I didn't even know the election had come and gone.  There was just a sad picture of Stephane Dion and a chart showing how the Tories crushed him two to one.

I then went to digg.com and read /fifteen articles/ on Sarah Palin.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2008, 12:18:02 PM »

every vote helps in eliminating our two party syster

No it doesn't. More than two major parties existing viably in our government isn't likely just given how the government is set up, UNLESS you somehow end up with a very left, very right, and strictly moderate party.

Simplified explanation why: The US electoral system is a zero-sum game. One person wins it all, one person wins nothing. In in a parliamentary system, on the other hand, any party that gets a minimum vote percentage wins seats.

Additionally, in the United States, the country is roughly half liberal, half conservative, with most people leaning moderate. Political parties all tend to be left leaning or right leaning. So, consider this scenario. You have three parties -- one right, and two left. If you divide the votes up roughly by how people align themselves, the right-leaning party will get fifty percent of the votes, and the left leaning parties will get fifty percent of the votes. And the right leaning party will win every time, as the left-leaning side will always be divided between the two parties, so you'll get a 50-30-20 breakdown by default, every time. And then the two left leaning parties merge and you have a two party system again.

Now, saying this, it LOOKS like Obama's going to win, so if he does, I'll say his methods are effective (and even if he loses, they've still been really effective. Just not as effective). If you consider the methods he used, they're the sort of methods that an independant candidate could probably use to get elected -- be competitive in every state, have a strong fundraising organization to STAY competitive, keep up a large ground-game, and most importantly *form an emotional connection with the people you're trying to organize to vote for you.*

Ron Paul couldn't really do the last one because of his pedosmile.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 12:22:08 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2008, 12:49:58 PM »

Yeah, if it wasn't for a third party taking away a huge chunk of Republican votes, Clinton never would have been president.
Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2008, 07:01:08 PM »

Didn't feel like making a topic, but Palin made a fool out of herself after being prank called by French Canada radio hosts : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADKXGWaTmTw

I uploaded that personally XD
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2008, 07:38:23 PM »

Eh, I don't think Ralph Nader will be stealing any votes this cycle, despite being on the ticket again.  We got the hint.  I don't think he does, though.  :P
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 11:02:57 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2008, 10:27:39 PM »

Definitely voting on Tuesday between classes. I'm really glad I changed my polling place this year so I don't have to drive back home like I did last time I voted (This will be my first Presidential election though--I missed the last one by a few months).

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2008, 12:52:53 PM »

im not sure i like all the attention my state is getting >_> (ohio)

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2008, 01:21:32 PM »

Yeah, I live in Ohio too. Well, whoever gets Ohio and/or Florida always wins the election.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: