Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 07:24:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338664 Posts in 13863 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Eternal Poison
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Eternal Poison  (Read 15459 times)
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 09:52:31 PM »

Two reviews up.

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3171286&p=2
http://www.destructoid.com/destructoid-review-eternal-poison-111327.phtml

B- & 80%.

Looks like I'll need to pick this up.  Hopefully it doesn't disappear before I get around to it (I might not get to it until January).

Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 02:16:49 AM »

I'm surprised. I really expected the game to get horrible reviews.

I ****ed up the shipping options on Amazon so I'll get the game when Persona 4 will come out so  they send me both at once. Damn it -_-
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 11:25:59 PM »

Crap. other sites beat me to it. :P

well anyway, review up:

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Eternal_Poison/index.html

enjoy :)

sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 12:21:19 AM »

Definitely getting this after reading your review and some others. The game looks sick.

Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 11:00:04 AM »

I got mine winging it's way to good 'ole Blighty from your neighbour to the north.

Damn being English.

Damn it to Heck.

Mind you, waiting a few days for it to arrive form Canada is better than waiting (read: HOPING!) for a PAL release is better!

Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 05:44:56 PM »

It'll be a lot quicker, Gately.  When I lived in the UK, I'd import games every now and then.  And the shipping from Canada is pretty good.  Whenever I mail anything to or from the UK, usually gets where it's going in a week.

Better than waiting for months and months...  If it even comes out over there.  :P

Madoka

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 05:46:46 PM »

My copy just arrived from Amazon today. Took a few extra days as my cheap ass chose Super Saver shipping.

The art book is really nice. They are already on eBay, listed as OOP. The Gothic Loli Thage character really is a loli!! I'm used to really young looking Japanese character designs, but they mean it this time. I thought she'd be listed as 20, but no. (I hadn't read much about the game beforehand).

Well, I'm off to getting my ass kicked, as Pat's review mentioned it was hard, and I'm not that good at SRPGs.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 11:47:57 PM »

Yeah. This game was kicking me in the mouth every day for the last week or two. It got to the point where I felt my day simply wasn't complete until I saw at least one Game Over screen. :P

But I have to emphasize that, in every sense of the word, the game is balanced. The key is to study up. You are given a taste of omniscience, in that you can always hit triangle on an enemy to see ALL their stats, including their magical/physical strengths and weaknesses. I didn't mention this in the review, but there are six elemental magic types, and then three attack types (the standard bash/slash/pierce paradigm). You can see every single enemy's stats in this regard. So as long as you keep a balanced party to guarantee that you have at least one person who is proficient in each of those categories, you can't go wrong. And if you fail a mission, but during that time you learn what the strengths/weaknesses of those enemies are while in battle, you can go back in with a party that's customized for that particular battle by switching up skill sets and equipped weapons. Being able to hold multiple weapons is a big help too. :)

And yes, Madoka, the artbook alone is reason enough to spring out the extra $$ for the LE set. The soundtrack is good too, but it'd be nice if we got full prints of the Japanese version (which was three discs instead of one).

Glad people are getting mildly excited about this one. After talking with my good friend (and board member) SilverwolfX, I had worried about how good this game was. In his opinion, Poison Pink (Eternal Poison) couldn't stand up next to Dragon Shadow Spell. Which may be true...but we didn't get DSS, so we'll settle for this. Hopefully we'll get more Flight-Plan games in the future. And hopefully Flight-Plan will get the balls and/or budget to publish on a next-gen console.

mizuki_no_beatdown
AMG A GIRL

Women are from Venus

mizuki_no_beatdown@yahoo.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 12:32:08 AM »

But I have to emphasize that, in every sense of the word, the game is balanced. The key is to study up.

This's what I wanted to hear. Even after reading your review, I wasn't sure. The last two purchases I made, Ar Tonelico & Romancing SaGa, were pretty much based off your reviews and I was really happy with 'em, but I don't like cheap games. I have a tendency to assume that's what people mean when they call a game challenging.

Gawd, now I gotta buy it!!! Damn you! .. In a good way, man.

I gotta say, I love this site, and it's forum. Before I started checking up on different titles here, I never would've bought some of my favorite  games(Odin Sphere, Persona 3), or looked into older titles (Riviera, Saga Frontier 2) I might've missed. And although I don't post much, I check the forums out everyday, like I'm reading a newspaper. Good stuff.

Playing : Lunar the Silver Star
Recently Beaten: E.G.G.
Awaiting : Red Dead Redemption, Arc Rise Fantasia
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2008, 05:39:42 AM »

I'm still on the fence, I really don't have the patience I used to have in the 16 bit days. I look back at those times and I can't believe how persistent I was.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2008, 05:46:59 AM »

It sounds like a combination of some of my favourite SRPGs. I hope my local gamestores have it in stock or I may have to consider importing it myself. (Though I wouldn't be surprised if Koei licensed it.)
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2008, 11:11:17 AM »

Ramza, as always your reviews hit the spot!

Granted, I've only played the first of Thage's stage but this is the type of game that requires a lot of thought.  Not just for keeping your characters alive, but for Overkilling Majin if you want to do so to every single one.  It's definitely not the type of game for those who just want to sweep over the map in one turn. :P

And might I add for a 14-year old goth loli, Thage is BADASS!  She's probably one of the most badass female protaginists in a JRPG in recent memory.  Maybe it's just the crap that I play, but one doesn't see characters like her very often.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Wilsongt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2008, 06:48:13 PM »

There's a bit of tranny surprise in Ashley's story. XD
Viarca

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2008, 09:07:14 PM »

I found my copy in the mail today when I got home, and Madoka is right, the art book is much nicer than what we usually see for bonus offers (though I don't know about all the animal characters...).  The number of games I still have in sealed in factory packaging pretty much guarantees this isn't getting played anytime soon, but I still have a bad habit of ordering anything that looks even remotely interesting.  Glad to see the positive feedback on it though.
darkphoenix3001

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2008, 06:48:26 PM »

I'm currently undecided as to buy it or not.  Too much to play and not enough time and the fact there is at least 3 games on my must get hit list over the next 3 month comming out is not making it any easier to decide.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: