Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 12:00:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319709 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Eternal Poison
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Eternal Poison  (Read 14613 times)
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2008, 08:20:43 AM »

Holy, it's $19.95 today!! I wonder if they still ship with the art book? And why is it 50% off so soon?

I was pretty stunned by that, too. No art book, I think, but $20 for a game that's probably going to become _exceedingly_ rare soon? That's a pretty good deal. I certainly jumped on it.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2008, 09:07:56 AM »

Truuuueee...but Persona 4's only gone down to $35. And it's not like these're common games...I can imagine that Eternal Poison's supposed to be be pretty rare...so even despite Black Friday, I'm still pretty surprised.

They also put Personal Trainer: Cooking at $5 and Left 4 Dead PC at $20, even if the latter basically sold out instantly. Black Friday really is THE reason.
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2008, 09:29:36 AM »

I got my copy of Eternal Poison from Amazon last week, and it _did_ include the art book. :)

I'm a little undecided about how much I like the actual game. I get the impression that I'm missing something when I play it, so maybe I just haven't keyed in on one of the game mechanics yet.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2008, 09:49:23 AM »

You know what I really like about this game? The difficulty feels just right to me. I never played a SRPG from start to finish so maybe it's just me though. Usualy I'm really close to seing the game over screen but most of the times I pull through with just 2 or 3 characters left. At the end of every battle I really feel like I overcame a real challenge. There's just this sense of satisfaction that you get for having made the right choices. I suppose that happens in most games of this genre though :-)

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Madoka

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2008, 11:48:50 PM »

You know what I really like about this game? The difficulty feels just right to me. I never played a SRPG from start to finish so maybe it's just me though. Usualy I'm really close to seing the game over screen but most of the times I pull through with just 2 or 3 characters left.

Thank God. I thought I just really sucked at this game. I usually don't play SRPGs, but I find it really hard to get through a battle with all my characters alive, so I thought I was doing someting wrong.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2008, 04:47:23 AM »

You know what I really like about this game? The difficulty feels just right to me. I never played a SRPG from start to finish so maybe it's just me though. Usualy I'm really close to seing the game over screen but most of the times I pull through with just 2 or 3 characters left.

Thank God. I thought I just really sucked at this game. I usually don't play SRPGs, but I find it really hard to get through a battle with all my characters alive, so I thought I was doing someting wrong.

LOL, maybe it's both of us but I sure as hell can't keep everyone alive in most battles. If I have a lot of monsters to summon it helps, but always sacrifice a few to gain abilities. I'm still not sure what PP is though...

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2008, 10:05:41 AM »

PP = Poison Points. Every monster requires a certain amount of PP each turn they are availible for use on the field. So, if a Glade Sylph's PP stat is, say, 76, then 76 PP will be subtracted from your overall amount every turn. Boss monsters seem to require a lot more PP than normal monsters, so I don't really tend to use them all that much. Then again, I don't really summon monsters at all, so my stockpile of PP is insanely large. =P
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2008, 11:28:51 AM »

PP = Poison Points. Every monster requires a certain amount of PP each turn they are availible for use on the field. So, if a Glade Sylph's PP stat is, say, 76, then 76 PP will be subtracted from your overall amount every turn. Boss monsters seem to require a lot more PP than normal monsters, so I don't really tend to use them all that much. Then again, I don't really summon monsters at all, so my stockpile of PP is insanely large. =P

Thanks. It was probably explained in the beginning but after starting the game I spend a few days without playing it and forgot a lot of stuff. I had a feeling it was related with summons. They safed my ass a few times, even if you just use them as punching bags they can be very useful since they will take the damage instead of the normal characters. You really have to be careful with the main character though, I'm tempted to push her to the front line because of her powerful spells but if 2 or 3 enemies decide to attack her/him consecutively it's game over.

Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2008, 01:25:30 AM »

Okay, so I just got to the final battle in Olifen's storyline. I've spent the last two days (ten hours) of my life grinding my way up there, only to find that the final boss has a dark Demon Aura, and lucky me, I have ZERO dark attacks within my entire arsenal. I've searched through every single weapon and every single character, but there is absolutely no way for me to beat the final boss, which is the biggest load of horseshit ever. How could the game makers overlook something so game breaking? I mean seriously, I'm beyond pissed at how close I got, only to get shot down by something so minescule.

Is there any way to fix this? I'm going back to one of my previous save files on Ashley's story to see if I can do the Artifact thing that the instruction booklet talked about, but if that doesn't work, then man...what a load of crap.

Edit: Alright, false alarm. The artifact trick worked, thankfully, so all I need to do is redo the second to last battle. Thankfully I keep two save files for my current game. =P
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 01:33:37 AM by Sketch » Logged
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2008, 04:38:12 AM »

Okay, so I just got to the final battle in Olifen's storyline. I've spent the last two days (ten hours) of my life grinding my way up there, only to find that the final boss has a dark Demon Aura, and lucky me, I have ZERO dark attacks within my entire arsenal. I've searched through every single weapon and every single character, but there is absolutely no way for me to beat the final boss, which is the biggest load of horseshit ever. How could the game makers overlook something so game breaking? I mean seriously, I'm beyond pissed at how close I got, only to get shot down by something so minescule.

Is there any way to fix this? I'm going back to one of my previous save files on Ashley's story to see if I can do the Artifact thing that the instruction booklet talked about, but if that doesn't work, then man...what a load of crap.

Edit: Alright, false alarm. The artifact trick worked, thankfully, so all I need to do is redo the second to last battle. Thankfully I keep two save files for my current game. =P

Wow, I gotta be careful with that. But everything is on hold because of P4 so it wont be anytime soon.

Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2008, 08:20:44 PM »

Wow, I gotta be careful with that. But everything is on hold because of P4 so it wont be anytime soon.

Oh yeah, for sure. I highly recommend keeping two separate save files. Any time you need to do two consecutive battles (aka, stratum boss maps), save onto the second file, just in case you need to do what I do. =P
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2008, 12:37:52 PM »

Anyone else catch on IGN's review?

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/939/939462p1.html

They loved the game. And, by loved, I mean HATED TO DEATH.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2008, 04:37:29 AM »

Holy crap! 3.5? I'd never have tried the game based on that review. I know that he's right in some of his complaints but that was way too harsh.

erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2008, 08:40:32 AM »

Holy crap! 3.5? I'd never have tried the game based on that review. I know that he's right in some of his complaints but that was way too harsh.
I personally don't think the game is all that amazing, either (like the reviewer strongly implies, it's like they totally ignored the improvements Disgaea made to the genre), but I thought his critique of the artwork was completely wrong and off the wall. The art style is very much NOT generic - if he's thinking that's generic, he needs to go look at Ar Tonelico first and then tell us that. (Note: I liked Ar Tonelico.) If it looks not-so-amazing, well, welcome to the PS2, pal. They're not going to all look like God of War.
Madoka

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2008, 12:54:10 PM »

His one comment that I have found true for me as well as that my weaker players keep getting killed early and never level up. But I like the art style and atmosphere of the game.

But now that P4 is out, I haven't played it since....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: