Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 10:50:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319313 Posts in 13037 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Valkyrie Profile DS and Devil Summoner 4
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Valkyrie Profile DS and Devil Summoner 4  (Read 2107 times)
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2008, 08:02:05 PM »

Still no confirmed release date outside of Japan, but is anyone looking forward to either of these?

If you aren't, you should be. I'm working on one at home and the other on the subways.  Both surpassed my expectations so far.

Tri-Ace basically combined VP1 with Disgaea (player and enemy phases system, over the top special attacks) and it works in a weird way. Most of the music is recycled from the first game and it sounds kind of crappy on DS, but the story is really depressing and good, and it's cRaZy hard if you want to get the good ending. It's short, but there are at least a dozen different routes through the game, all of which lead to different characters (huge cast). At the end of chapter 1 there is a choice of three locations representing an easy, medium, and hard path through the next section.

You have an item called the goddess feather, and if you use it on a character, they become god-like and can just win the fight for you. The catch is, they die permanently at the end of the fight in a really dramatic story scene, and it affects the main character's personality and creates different story branches. You have to not use it at all to get the best ending, but it's fricking impossible on a first playthrough. By chapter two you're outnumbered 2 to 1 by enemies with higher stats and good AI. It's do-able if you abuse formation techniques and are a strategic genius, but seriously, the game pretty much forces you to use it. Most people use a new game+ to get the good ending and seraphic gate. Fortunately there are enough characters (and some of them are so annoying that you want to kill them) so you can usually use it if you want. Abuse it too much and the game ends early.

Raidou Kuzunoha vs. Abbadon O is also vastly superior to the previous game. Way better combat (rolls, back flips, evasive techniques, three different melee weapons), dual demon summoning, demon conversations and a better fusion system. The music is also off the chain. There's a remix of the detective agency theme from the very first Devil Summoner game, and a lot of good new songs with all the songs I liked from the previous game returning. It's tied with Persona 4 as my favorite MegaTen game of all time.

Anyway, I'd be extremely shocked if either game did not see international release.

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
Der Jermeister

G'day, sport!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 09:01:55 PM »

I think Valkyrie Profile DS will probably get a U.S. release, as "Covenant of the Plume," which was copyrighted by Square-Enix some time ago, is likely its English subtitle. And I want Abaddon King, as well, since I enjoyed the first Devil Summoner.

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 09:06:03 PM »

Devil Summoner 3 was my 'This game sucks, but I love it anyway' game. Awesome setting and style carried clunky and simplistic gameplay. That setting won't be able to carry it a second game for me, but if they really kick it up they could make something awesome. But it won't be a game I buy blindly, I'll have to wait until it eventually does come over and see what the majorities consensus is on it is.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 09:16:58 PM »

I think Valkyrie Profile DS will probably get a U.S. release, as "Covenant of the Plume," which was copyrighted by Square-Enix some time ago, is likely its English subtitle. And I want Abaddon King, as well, since I enjoyed the first Devil Summoner.

Though that will likely be the case, but no guarantees.

The "Covenant of the Plume" name is all over the packaging for the OST and Arrange Album (released a few days ago), but then, the same was done for Subarashiki Kono Sekai. They put the words "It's a Wonderful World" all over the packaging. But then, with the English release, they renamed it "The World Ends With You." So you NEVER know...but I'm betting Covenant of the Plume will be the English subtitle.

Ramza

HeeHo

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 09:47:40 PM »

I was skeptical on the need for grids but the impression sounds awesome. I like the incentive to play through more than once and the need placed on the goddess feather. Reminds me of BoF:DQ actually.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 10:21:49 PM »

Glad to hear Devil Summoner: long subtitle about Abaddon is good.  I'm quite pleased to hear that demon chit-chat is back; that's one aspect I loved in old school MegaTen and have sorely missed in the series lately.  Devil Summoner's always been hit or miss with me.  The original Devil Summoner on Saturn was annoyingly difficult; demons became disloyal too quickly.  Soul Hackers was f'n AMAZING and still remains one of the best PSX RPGs I've played (I know it was originally a Saturn game, but I played it on PSX.)  Raidou Kuzunoha...Soulless Army had a great sense of period and a sweet storyline, but the combat was horrible. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 10:30:15 PM by Dincrest » Logged

I approve of this nonsense!
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 11:07:16 AM »

I'm glad these games turned out well, I know a lot of people have reservations about them for some reason or another. I look forward to playing them both next year, especially VPDS since my DS is begging for some good SRPGs (the games currently out are pretty easy aside from Front Mission).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 11:12:36 AM by jj984jj » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: