Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 03:52:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338641 Posts in 13862 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  What console for Fallout 3?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What console for Fallout 3?  (Read 3376 times)
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: November 10, 2008, 12:57:08 PM »

Hey guys,

I'm getting Fallout 3 for Christmas, but I'm not sure what console to get it on, PS3 or Xbox. I've read that the 360 version is superior graphically and with less glitchiness. The sticking point for me is, I assume there'll be downloadable content somewhere down the line. I've never taken my 360 online. Is it as easy to do so as the PS3? I do I need to pay just to have it online, even if just to download content rather than play online games?

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 01:01:14 PM »

I'd go for the Xbox 360 version. That will have the DLC while the PS3 won't, and either way you won't have to pay just to go online. You'll have a Silver membership rather than Gold, which means no online play unless you're playing a fee-based game (PSU, FFXI, future MMOs), and waiting a week on demos.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 01:05:43 PM by Eusis » Logged
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 02:14:06 PM »

I'd also go for the 360 version. The DLC will probably be some sort of nifty, plus it's a bit more stable graphically (i.e. it has 4x anti-aliasing making for a very smooth picture while the PS3 version has no AA, the frame-rate is a lot more stable on the 360 end, etc). For more a more in-depth graphical comparison, check out this article. Also, 360 has achievements whereas the PS3 version does not currently have trophies.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 02:26:40 PM »

I only chose the PS3 version over the 360 version because I hate the 360's controller. But yeah, the 360 has the DLC (don't know how important that is to you) and the PS3 doesn't have the trophies yet, but I -think- I read somewhere they might get a patch for that in the future.
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 08:34:38 AM »

Hmm, despite all your sound advice I'm still leaning toward the PS3. This is simply because I turned on my 360 for the first time in months last night to play Fable II and it red-ringed 3 times before it worked properly. I wouldn't want to get something else on the system just to have it die for good on me.

I had a stupid dream

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 08:57:53 AM »

I think it may be worth it to look into actually repairing your machine then. I'm mystified why my 360 behaves so well (*knocks on wood*) but were mine to, I like its features way too much to neglect repairing it immediately.

Also, in addition to the above DLC stuff and whatnot, the PS3 version has a number of bugs that people have complained about, so that's something to factor in.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 11:34:06 AM »

If you can get the free repair (I dunno how that is in England, maybe our bitching was only enough for America) then do that and stick with the 360 Fallout 3. If you can't or don't plan to immediately replace the 360 then just go for the PS3 version. If you either get a PC upgrade or a new 360 later on, and still want to buy/play the DLC, the game will probably have become much cheaper by then.
Lord Dorkus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 09:06:00 AM »

Hmm, despite all your sound advice I'm still leaning toward the PS3. This is simply because I turned on my 360 for the first time in months last night to play Fable II and it red-ringed 3 times before it worked properly. I wouldn't want to get something else on the system just to have it die for good on me.
I say play the system until it RRODs for good. RROD is covered. So just get it repaired. Keep the box that it comes back in just in case it happens again then you won't need to wait for them to send you a box next time. I bought a 360 at launch and have been through 3 of them and haven't paid for a single repair. Every time it gets repaired they extend the warranty so when you get it repaired you get a full 3 year warranty against RROD. Last time I sent one in, because I used the box and packaging they used to return that XBox to me in, I got a replacement in less than a week. Just printed the label they emailed to me, taped it to the box, wrote the repair number on the box, taped the repair number onto the console, taped the box up and shipped it out via Office Depot...not sure what they use in Europe though. Just follow their instructions and you should be fine.

Another thing about repairs. They rarely you send your old system back and when they do chances are it doesn't have the same old board in side of it.
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 12:46:11 PM »

Well, I'll see how it goes with Fable, and if it seems healthy enough after that, I'll risk it.

I don't like to send consoles away for repair after what happened with my Wii. It died for some reason or another, with my Zelda disc trapped inside. I sent it off to be repaired, with big note warning them about the disc inside. When the console came back a few weeks later, it included the Zelda disc, absolutely ripped to pieces. I sent e-mails, phoned, and wrote a letter asking for reimbursement, both for the disc and my postage costs, and got nothing.

I had a stupid dream

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 12:03:17 PM »

Well, not all repair places are equal, nor manufacturers. I usually hear good shit from Nintendo, but who knows with the European branch? Give it a try though. Just don't leave a disc inside? :P
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 10:18:35 AM »

I'd say the 360 version as well. Fallout 3 is so kick-ass that you'll really want the DLC and it doesn't sound like the PS3 is going to have it. Word is that the DLC will most likely be a full fledged expansion pack.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: