Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 03:24:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330170 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Site Related & More
| |-+  RPGFan: The Site
| | |-+  No faqs or guides?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: No faqs or guides?  (Read 12558 times)
avalanch

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2008, 08:00:30 PM »

I noticed that there is alot of news, reviews & such for RPG's... but seriously.. why not add some guides/walkthroughs for some of these?
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 08:09:52 PM »

www.gamefaqs.com, there you go.

avalanch

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 08:15:31 PM »

lol nevermind i even asked... what a sad response lol..
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 08:22:15 PM »

No, honestly, when there's a site as large as GameFAQs that provides multiple walkthroughs for most major titles, why would we expend effort when our writers can write things that actually matter?  A FAQ or Walkthrough takes tens of hours to write, and provides little in regards to potential advertising income in comparison to a review or preview.  There's no reason we should be providing walkthroughs when the cost in effort and time doesn't match the reward.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 08:30:05 PM »

RPGFan actually did have a FAQs/Guides section back in the '90s when the site was still fledgling, but it was rather quick to go by way of the dodo.  Seriously, I'm sure even folks who've been around the 'Fan longer than I likely don't remember it. 

Lack of hits compared to other sections of the site, therefore a lack of reader interest, minimal motivation to write those dissertation length behemoths, and a more comprehensive FAQs site like GameFAQs where people frequently and more willingly write FAQs = cut the fat, axe the section, and save the bandwidth. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 02:38:29 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
avalanch

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 08:32:30 PM »

I don't see why not, also rpgamer doesn't seem to have a problem with user submitted & staff written FAQ's for games.  Proof

No, honestly, when there's a site as large as GameFAQs that provides multiple walkthroughs for most major titles, why would we expend effort when our writers can write things that actually matter?  A FAQ or Walkthrough takes tens of hours to write, and provides little in regards to potential advertising income in comparison to a review or preview.  There's no reason we should be providing walkthroughs when the cost in effort and time doesn't match the reward.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 09:23:40 PM »

User submitted FAQs/Walkthroughs tend to be pretty hit and miss in quality. Thus any user submitted FAQ would need screening before posting, not only for quality, but also to check for plagiarism. Allocating staff members to go through the process of screening FAQs that could be hundreds of pages long is simply implausible.

Furthermore, asking voluntary staff members, which, as far as I'm aware, includes all of the RPGFan staff, to write walkthroughs for games that could possibly last upwards of 80 hours is like asking them for hundreds of hours of their time they simply can't offer due to personal lives and responsibilities.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 10:24:21 PM »

I read the thread title as: No fags or guidos.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 10:53:07 PM »

I don't see why not, also rpgamer doesn't seem to have a problem with user submitted & staff written FAQ's for games.  Proof

That's... fantastic. But the fact is it's a waste of time and resources to create FAQs when GameFAQs does the best job ever due to the sheer amount of information available therein. If not for the fact some people enjoy pictorial strategy guides, publishers of printed guides might well be out of business thanks to GameFAQs.
DM Kyle E. Miller
Administrator

foriamthedm@yahoo.com foriamthedm foriamthedm@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 11:24:03 PM »

I can't imagine how many hours I'd put in if I had to make an faq for every game I reviewed. It'd take a lot to buy me into something that time consuming. I always have had a certain respect for those that do make them, especially the really in depth ones.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 01:47:43 AM »

You do know people usually make FAQs on a second playthrough. Most games these days take 40-50 hours just to complete the main story. Throw in a second playthrough, probably twice as long to make sure certain strategies work against bosses, finding all those unnecessary items, sidequests, etc.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 11:43:01 AM »

I've actually written a couple of FAQs.  One for a game I liked and one for a game I hated and couldn't play through without a map.  They do take a long time, and with a great resource out there like GameFAQs, I don't see any reason for us to try to compete with them.  As has been said, we keep our focus tight so that we can keep our quality to the maximum.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 10:30:14 PM »

Here's what this comes down to.

1) GameFAQs is a place for walkthroughs. It's a GREAT place for walkthroughs. Tons of awesome user-generated content there.
2) RPGFan is a place for news/reviews/media content. We excel at it.

In turn...

3) the reviews on GameFAQs suck.
4) any site like RPGFan that attempts a comprehensive walkthroughs section will fail, especially compared to gameFAQs.

Congratulations to RPGamer for having a FAQs section but...guess what? It pales in comparison to GameFAQs. There's literally *no* purpose to RPGamer having the section. I bet there isn't a single FAQ in there that is significantly better than what GameFAQs has to offer. End of story.

I mean, look at the big guys. Magazines like GameInformer, at most, do like a 2-page "hints" section where they talk about neat little tips and tricks for recently released games.

So when a whiny person like yourself comes back with:

lol nevermind i even asked... what a sad response lol..

I can't help but wonder...who do you think you are, and do you really believe your visions and expectations of what this site should have are in any way indicative of what the majority of people are looking for?

Ramza

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 06:18:18 PM »

You could always make a link saying "FAQs" on the menu, but then when clicked, it could redirect the user to GameFAQs. :P
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 06:19:50 PM by ShadowLaguna » Logged

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 01:53:15 PM »

Hey guys, why isnt there an RPGFan Brand Cola drink?

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: