Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 05:38:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330171 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Site Related & More
| |-+  RPGFan: The Site
| | |-+  No faqs or guides?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: No faqs or guides?  (Read 12561 times)
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 02:35:27 PM »

We've got RPGFan Mountain Dew.  Just crack John's head open and slurp away.

lavarock

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 02:24:21 PM »

Totally agree with most editors here, I come to this site only for reviews, which are what I consider the best review for RPGs anywhere, they are through, detailed, by fans who have COMPLETED the game (I swear guys over at IGNs and other game sites don't complete rpgs when they review them).

FAQs are better suited for GameFAQs, their review section is not that good but they do what they do best, offering user-generated great FAQs.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 03:22:48 PM »

Hey guys, why isnt there an RPGFan Brand Cola drink?

Dade, you are the RPGFan Brand Cola drink.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 09:14:55 PM »

wait Dade...you have carbonated seme--

nevermind!

also, awesome thread resurrection! :P

lordyuanshu
Walkthrough FAQ Guides

TecmoSuperBowl
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 10:12:28 AM »

As much as I love my boys at RPGLand...RPGFan is probably #1 for RPG Reviews. That's not just kissing ass, I always read the import reviews of the games I want before they get to the US, and I appreciate that the people here go out of their way to make that happen. More importantly the reviews are written well and I tend to have the same viewpoints as a lot of the reviewers here.

But...you guys are wrong about walkthrough faq sites. Yes, Gamefaqs has a ton of content, they're ballers. I don't blame you for not hosting faqs.....But that doesn't mean you can't get a piece of the pie if you felt inclined to do so. I'm sure the 3500-4000 uniques a day I bring in ain't shit to them, but I'll take the passive 60-80$ daily garnered from my traffic, to do something I love. Granted I'm an internet marketer / web designer for a living so I know how to hustle the SE's, namely Google, but there is FAR less SE competition for walkthrough guides compared to reviews. Every RPG / video game site and their mom do reviews, whether they are good or not.  I've done searches to see how RPGfan ranks for certain game reviews and it's generally pretty high (and I doubt you guys do a lot of extra work in the form of links coming in with review keywords), but it's a saturated market to try to get SE traffic. That said, SE's aren't everything. I'm sure you guys get a lot of direct hits because people have learned since the 90's that quality reviews can be found here.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 10:29:12 PM »

IMO, a good dedicated walkthrough is only worth doing if you can make it far better than the text-only GameFAQs reviews. Which, it seems, you ARE doing, so kudos to you.

But again, the time and determination it takes to do a GOOD walkthrough is so far above and beyond that of a review...RPGFan could *maybe* etch out 2 good walkthroughs per year. And none of us want to do it. So thanks for not blaming us.

Anyways, again, love the reviews you got posted.

Patrick

PS - is there anyone you could get me in touch with at RPGLand? There is one publisher that sends me games all the time but has me listed as a staff member for RPGLand, and I've been worried that I've been inadvertently snagging all their press releases because of the name mix-up (I've contacted said publisher about this before and they haven't responded with anything except more games...)

Zetsuei
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2009, 10:48:27 AM »

No, honestly, when there's a site as large as GameFAQs that provides multiple walkthroughs for most major titles, why would we expend effort when our writers can write things that actually matter?  A FAQ or Walkthrough takes tens of hours to write, and provides little in regards to potential advertising income in comparison to a review or preview.  There's no reason we should be providing walkthroughs when the cost in effort and time doesn't match the reward.
You seriously believe a single person's opinion is worth more than a free guide?
Last time I checked, people do not pay a single cent for a review, but easily dish out 25$ for professional guides. And the only thing gamefaqs guides lack are the pictures, the content is sometimes even more detailed and better than in professional guides.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2009, 06:30:14 PM »

As comrehensive as GameFaqs is, I don't see why any other site would feel the need to have walkthroughs on their site.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2009, 07:01:07 PM »

You seriously believe a single person's opinion is worth more than a free guide?

When you factor in the time and dedication required to do a guide, yes, the opinion piece seems more worthwhile to me. If people need help with a game, our reviews staff is generally active on the message boards and could probably help out another person playing the game.

Oh wait, you got banned. Why am I answering this stupid question? Maybe for the sake of posterity.

bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2009, 08:00:33 PM »

Lol, nice one, Ramza.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2009, 09:10:48 PM »

While I'm not sure I'd argue that one or the other is outright more valuable, I don't think you can just treat (well written) opinions as something to not pay for. Seriously, the internet has spoiled people too much.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: