Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 10, 2016, 03:21:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
377165 Posts in 15097 Topics by 2334 Members
Latest Member: Malekoth
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 1083 1084 [1085] Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 1189271 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16260 on: February 08, 2016, 06:35:12 PM »

Iiiii'm noticing that I don't judge political candidates strictly on their merits but on who their strongest supporters are. Like if there are two candidates and I agree with both of their platforms, I'll go for the one whose supporters I feel the most empathetic towards. I'm assuming this is normal?

It's just like the phenomenon I always talk about: You like a thing but you find that thing's fanbase insufferable so you end up disliking that thing because you don't want to be seen as "one of those" (referring to the insufferable fans.)  

I think my issue with /insufferable fandoms/ is the groupthink and tendency to lock out any even moderately dissenting discussion? Also if we're talking for TV/videogame fandoms, the tendency to start replacing canon with fanon and getting upset when fanon gets violated because they thought their fanon was canon.

Also I think I mentioned this before, but the thing that's sitting weird about Bernie's campaign for me is that the middle-class, youngish, college educated white kids that are really backing him aren't really the people hardest hit by the wage inequality he's championing against, and I'm not sure it's entirely altruism that's leading them to back Bernie (although this is less turning me off of Bernie's campaign/platform and more just deepening my alienation towards Young Millennials).

(also fwiw the OMG IF MY CANDIDATE LOSES THE WORLD WILL LITERALLY END mentality gets kind of adsfasdofu to watch once you've grown out of it.).

-- edit --

oh that reminds me

I saw some superbowl ad I think and it was about gay people doing gay things but like
it made too little fucking sense to be offensive for perpetuating stereotypes?

also maintenance said they were gonna install new outlets last week so I cleaned my apartment
but then they didn't get to it today and now I have mountains of trash everywhere because I haven't been taking it out do to ankle being fucky
sooooooooo

-- edit --

just got the puppybabymonkey commercial on youtWHAT IS THIS HORSESHIT. ARE THESE JOKES? THERE ARE NO PUNCHLINES. IT'S JUST A FEVERISH COLLECTION OF DISJOINTED IMAGERY AND APHASIC MENTAL VOMIT. WHAT THE HELL ARE THESE EVEN ADVERTISING.

-- edit --

I like when I'm on tumblr because there are some comics I read that are hosted there and I stumble on stuff like this that really makes me wonder about my parents' mental states :SSS

Being abused can seriously affect your ability to distinguish between “not obviously pleased” and “obviously displeased” because abusers go from Neutral to Hostile for absolutely no discernible reason, and eventually you start worrying that everyone is going to be like that and you start feeling this urge to make absolutely sure that the people you actually care about aren’t mad or upset, because to you, “there’s no evidence that they’re not angry” is the same as “there’s evidence that they are angry”

Unrelated but I really hope that disc-only copy of Seven Swans I ordered doesn't get broken in the mail because then I'll need to get a complete copy, and those are expensive and I mean it's fine, I have more money that I know what to do with, but let's just try to pretend that I'm a responsible adult okay.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 07:15:56 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Arvis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16261 on: February 09, 2016, 10:27:49 AM »

(also fwiw the OMG IF MY CANDIDATE LOSES THE WORLD WILL LITERALLY END mentality gets kind of adsfasdofu to watch once you've grown out of it.).

it's funny, because every 4 years in the US, half of the country thinks this, and yet the world never ends and we all muddle through.

Current RPG - Xenoblade Chronicles X
natros
Pizza Enthusiast

Right! I'll do you for that!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16262 on: February 09, 2016, 11:52:06 AM »

I think someone is remotely accessing my Roku box, or something. I'm not sure what the hell is going on... It started about a week ago. I will be right in the middle of watching something, and the screen will flash over to what looks like a desktop screen (of sorts - doesn't look like a Windows or Linux desktop - admittedly, I'm not too familiar with Mac desktops). A mouse cursor will appear, and will start moving around. I see the name of my Roku box on the screen, among a list of other things. It looks like my Roku is being accessed (a progress bar will appear next to the name of my Roku, and fill up). Then, the cursor will typically move around some more, and then select some kind of weird icon. Usually, it leads to a music streaming service (Like iHeartRadio, etc.). The last time, it selected a nearby radio station in Milwaukee (I live in northeastern Illinois). Once the service starts playing, the mouse cursor stops moving, and screen will reset back to the Roku main menu after a few seconds. It doesn't seem like anything malicious is going on (from what I can see, anyway).

...I've tried to search for it online, but can find no instances of this happening to anyone else. That in itself is irritating.
After the first few times it happened, I changed my router's SSID and password. It still continued to happen afterward, so either someone that lives near me is VERY good at hacking wifi routers, or the issue isn't related to said router. It doesn't seem like anyone is hacking my actual internet service (as far as I can tell, anyway). None of my other devices (phones; laptop; PS3) have been exhibiting strange behavior.
It happened again last night while I was watching something, so I then changed my SSID and password again, and made the network hidden. I turned off screen mirroring on both my TV and the Roku, and changed my Roku box's name. It didn't happen again after that, but that's not saying much. Sometimes there would be a day or two in between. I'm also getting into the habit of leaving my Roku unplugged when it's not in use.

Now that I think about, what I see when it happens reminds me a lot of when people from our corporate office's IT dept will access our desktops with PC Anywhere. It's similar behavior, but.. is that possible with a Roku, if someone doesn't have my internet password? I'm wondering if Rokus have their own accessible IP address...

Annoying...

EDIT: Managed to find a few very small pages on the subject. In similar cases, it seems to have been a case of screen mirroring. Problem is, if that's the case with me, it could mean someone is hacking my wifi network - apparently repeatedly. From what I understand, that's the only way to have access to local screen mirroring.
I admittedly forgot to check the history of connected devices when changing settings on the router last night. I'm going to check that tonight, and change the wifi password to some ridiculously long and complex string of random crap while I'm in there. I'm also going to change the password for the actual router.
Hopefully, all of this will help... Don't like the idea of someone having free access to my shit.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 12:14:56 PM by natros » Logged
Arvis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16263 on: February 09, 2016, 02:46:18 PM »

That's pretty nuts, natros.  Even if it's not "malicious", I would feel violated by that.

natros
Pizza Enthusiast

Right! I'll do you for that!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16264 on: Today at 10:02:30 AM »

Yeah...
I took every precaution I could think of after I got home last night. Hopefully, it'll be the end of that. So far, so good.

Meanwhile, my car has developed one of those mystery sounds that no one can figure out. It's like a rotational rubbing/grinding sound. Directly related to how fast the car is rolling. Talked to various mechanics. Sunk a few hundred replacing parts (wheel bearings; brake parts; etc.) that I myself was sure were the culprit at the time.
I can't afford to put any more money into fruitlessly chasing something. I'm going to get a tire rotation this weekend, and ask them to balance said tires as they go. That's as far as I'm gonna go with it. Otherwise, I'll simply have to wait for it to get worse... or straight up fail. Fun stuff!
Arvis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16265 on: Today at 10:14:09 AM »

I know that pain, bro.  I spent hundreds on my Neon when it started vibrating like a Cessna taking off.  Sound freaking loud in the cabin.  Nobody ever found out the problem.  Then I spent THOUSANDS on my Altima when it just stopped going at all, only to find out that it was just the alternator preventing the accelerator pedal from telling the car to go (a $300 fix).

That's why I now recommend ponying up the dough to have a dealership do the inspection.  It's expensive, but they're obligated to find the real problem.  I never got around to having a dealership check my Neon.  Wish I had.  I'll never know what the issue was.

Pages: 1 ... 1083 1084 [1085] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: