Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 31, 2015, 05:47:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Have a great 2015 from all of us at RPGfan. :)
349677 Posts in 14265 Topics by 2246 Members
Latest Member: ksunstar
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread  (Read 120999 times)
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

I'm really feeling it!

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #1050 on: February 18, 2015, 01:15:34 AM »

Dankest Dungeon is actually a thing, and it's a demake of Darkest Dungeon.
edit: 3DS is considered mobile?

You're blowing my mind right now.

And personally, I don't think 3DS is considered mobile, I think it's considered 'handheld,' but maybe those are arbitrary distinctions in 2015. Mobile makes me thing smart-devices, handheld makes me think "dedicated handheld gaming console."

"Steb I'm always channeling my inner rage. I'm basically a tall, skinny, pointy-eared, pale she-hulk with a giant stick." - Liz

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1051 on: February 18, 2015, 01:56:45 AM »

I heard you point that out after posting it, but yeah I feel similarly, it's a handheld or portable.
Also to answer Rob's thing about a game he should be playing with changing into a persona and Digital Devil Saga etc: Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 say hi.
edit: Also also, an interesting interview to add perspective.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 02:13:47 AM by insertnamehere » Logged

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1052 on: March 03, 2015, 10:50:34 AM »

Catching up on podcasts and listening to 88.

Thank god you guys brought up Grandia 3 when talking about aerial attacks.
Those were by far one of the best thing in the game.
They felt so awesome.

Yuki with Flash + Berserker into aerial attack just feels so powerful.
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1053 on: March 03, 2015, 03:22:16 PM »

Re: Mickey and the Haunted House,

I had this book as a kid too...is this the one you were talking about?

Here's the narrated version on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IznDzYDTNFE
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

I'm really feeling it!

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #1054 on: March 03, 2015, 03:30:53 PM »

ermegardaads... YES THAT'S IT. Although for some reason I don't remember Dolan and Pulto being there. The fog of memory I suppose.

A true classic, though.

"Steb I'm always channeling my inner rage. I'm basically a tall, skinny, pointy-eared, pale she-hulk with a giant stick." - Liz

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: March 10, 2015, 11:35:36 AM »

Episode 92 is live.  Enjoy!!!!
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1056 on: March 21, 2015, 03:03:59 AM »

I'm probably the only person that didn't get it, but about THAT game people kept telling Rob to talk about in the FF15 demo stream; what game?

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: March 27, 2015, 12:13:35 PM »

I was in the process of reviewing Bloodborne but couldn't even mention it. 
ksunstar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1058 on: Today at 12:53:20 AM »

Hello,
Kristina here. I really love the podcast. I think Derek and I are children from another mother because he likes almost every game that I like and we have other stuff in common too like pumpkin spice lattes!
I do have a question for him though. I am playing Atelier Shallie and I have played all the PS3 and Vita iterations as well as Atelier Annie for the DS and I think these might be my favorite games of all time. However, Atelier Shallie is really confusing me for one major reason. The life tasks system is doing something that I don't quite understand. Instead of telling you what your current objective is, it shows the objective that you already completed and then you have to press square or something and it shows the new objectives with a square box unchecked if it isn't done. While you are playing, if you do something that goes towards that uncompleted objective, a box pops up and instead of saying what you are working on, it says the completed thing so you have no idea what you just did and what it went towards.
For example, and I don't have the game up to give the exact thing but this should help, my objective is to open 3 treasure chests and it is under the heading swing 100 times which I already did. So when I open a chest, it says Swing 100 times and it shows 33% completion because I opened my 1st chest out of 3. I find this very confusing because I have to go into the menu and look up Swing 100 times to find out that I opened a chest towards the next goal. I wish it would just say Open Chest 1/3! I feel like I'm missing something because this is totally new to Atelier Shallie. The other games in the Dusk series didn't do this and it is extremely confusing.
It is starting to ruin the game for me because I have to keep going into life tasks to find out what I am working on and there are tons of them so of course, it is hard to keep track of them.

My other comments about the game is that I do like the removal of the time limit although I have always felt that the Atelier games should make you play with a time limit on the first playthrough and then remove the time limit for New Game+.

Other than that, keep up the good work. One thing that would be extremely helpful is maybe making a note as you go through the podcast about what games you talked about and putting all the games you talked about in the show notes. For example, I just started playing Dragon Age: Origins and I know there are a few shows about it where it's listed but I would like to pull up every show where you talked about it and that isn't as easy. And right now I am listening to #13 and someone is talking about Chaos Rings but that isn't listed in the description so I would never know which episode to listen to if I was playing that.

Just a small nitpick. Thanks for reading! I'm a 40 year old female gamer and sometimes I feel like the only one around so I love hearing the podcast so I can feel less alone!
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: Today at 01:05:42 AM »

Welcome to the boards, Kristina!  Thought I should comment to let you know you're not alone.  I'm not a woman, but my wife is.  I'm 40, so feel free to guess at her approximate age. ;)  She loves games too, although I'll admit they're not generally her primary hobby.  Still, she loves 'em!

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Embryon
RPGFan Editor

Achieve enlightenment.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1060 on: Today at 01:23:21 AM »

Hi Kristina! Thank you so much for listening to the show, and kudos to your clearly excellent taste. ;D

Regarding the weird text for Life Tasks in Shallie, I honestly think that's a bug/localization error. I also encountered instances where I'd get progress on my task bar for, say, "Swing 100x" even though it was clearly going up whenever I jumped. It's kind of confusing, but like you said, you can usually check what the actual task is by going into the menu and pressing square to see a detailed rundown of any given objective. I didn't see that sort of issue pop up too often in my playthrough, so hopefully it doesn't cause you too much more trouble!

Incidentally, who did you pick as your heroine? I went with Shallotte. Y'know, if you're in Shallistera's story, that may actually explain why you've seen more weird Life Task errors, assuming they occur more frequently on her side. I just penned my review of the game this afternoon, so it should be up on the main site in the next couple of days. (Spoiler: I really liked it.)

Thanks for your feedback, by the way. I'll pass it along to Rob as well (although I'm sure he'll see the thread). And welcome to the boards!

"Man up and take your handjob." - dyeager
ksunstar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1061 on: Today at 03:52:55 AM »

I am playing Shallotte although I was considering restarting as Shallistera to see if it was better but maybe I shouldn't now. I'm in Chapter 4 and I think their stories are converging anyway. I'm sure I will play as both. I do really love the game but I really hope they fix this in the Vita version. I am a sucker and I will buy it for my Vita because I just love to give them money! I have bought each game twice now and it was probably only really worth it with Rorona Plus but I just love playing on my Vita. It's okay on my television but even though I have an enormous television, it is quite old and the words aren't quite as sharp on the screen so it is just easier to play Atelier games on a handheld.
I'm sure once I get used to it, it will be fine and I am more motivated to do it since you think it is really good.
My husband plays games too but more like Saint's Row and Skyrim and not so much the RPG's. I've been playing since Final Fantasy Mystic Quest on the SNES when I was 17 and I subsequently bought Final Fantasy 6 - 13 minus 11 as well as Chrono Trigger, Robotrek, Lufia: Rise of the Sinestrals, Lunar Silver Star Story, Shadowhearts, Xenogears and Xenosaga, Persona 1-4 to name the best ones. I took a small break when my daughter was born and sold almost all of my PS2 games and then 3 or 4 years ago, I missed them so much that I repurchased Shadow Hearts 1-3, Xenosaga 1-3, Dragon Quest 8, Final Fantasy 10 and 10-2 and Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2. Of course, I should have waited on the Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts as I didn't even have a chance to play them before the HD collections came out which I of course bought. I bought a PS3 to play Final Fantasy 13 a few years after it came out and I was a bit disappointed that I did that until the HD remixes came out and the Atelier games. Now I love my PS3 again. Of course, there is also the PSN store which I am seriously loving since Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 came out.
I also own a PSP, of course the Vita, a Nintendo DS, a Nintendo 3DS and the new Nintendo 3DS (that I bought solely to play Xenoblade Chronicles 3D) and a Wii U that I mostly play Wii games on. I'm sure I will not buy a PS4 until FF15 and Persona 5 come out.
I really do have other hobbies such as Scrapbooking and painting but when I just went to sit down and chill there is nothing like a role playing game.

Okay, last thing and then I will be out of your hair. I don't know if this is a topic for the show or what but my 8 year old daughter is really starting to express an interest in role playing games. I am trying to decide which one to start her on but I'm having a hard time deciding. She can read but not as well as most 8 year-olds her age. I considered Pokemon but I'm not sure if there is something even more basic than that. I am open to anything on PC, any Nintendo system from the Gameboy to the 3DS and any Playstation game as long as it is available in the PSN store. I almost considered Final Fantasy Mystic Quest but I haven't played it in a very long time and I have heard a lot of people laugh about it in retrospect saying it isn't very good and I wonder if I just have retro nostalgia. I will probably emulate it anyway and see what I think but I would really like some other suggestions from people who have kids, nieces, nephews, etc. She is not like most kids nowadays who can play DS games before they can walk practically. She has severe ADD so it was hard until recently to even sit her down and get her to focus enough to even learn how to play Cars on the Nintendo DS where you just have to hit one button and move around the racetrack in a circle. She can read if the text stops but not if it moves too fast so it has to be turn based for sure. We play Disney Infinity together and that is fun but she really wants to play a game like the ones I play.

Okay, sorry for blabbing. Thanks for listening!
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: