Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 03:54:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319774 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  Swap Magic for PlayStation 2
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Swap Magic for PlayStation 2  (Read 2424 times)
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 21, 2008, 01:57:53 AM »

Hi guys. I've been thinking about this one for quite a while, and I finally decided to stick such a question up today.

If you live in a PAL region like myself, then you know that it sucks to be an RPG gamer. They usually take much longer to release in a PAL regions, sometimes even more than six months after NTSC regions. Sometimes, we don't even get certain RPGs, if not games in general.

So, i've been wanting to get my hands on a "swap magic disc" for my 'big' PS2, so I can finally play games like Tales of the Abyss which still hasn't made it here yet, and it most likely never will, hence the 2006 release date in North America, and if i'm not mistaken, it's 2008 now, correct? I was wondering exactly how it works and if I need any other requirements apart from the PS2.

Also, will it play different region PS1 games, or do I need one for the PS1 as well? I'd quite like to play Chrono Cross too. I'd prefer not to mod my PS2, as i've heard pretty bad stories about 'em.

One more question. What about Memory cards? Would I need a US memory card to save a US game, or can I get away with using my regular cards?

Cheers!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 02:01:41 AM by ShadowLaguna » Logged

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 02:20:56 AM »

You won't need to get new memory cards, saved files are just data. The swap magic disc comes with a replacement frame for the top of the PS2, which allows you to open the system without letting the system know its been opened, so it doesn't re-check the disc before running the game. The frame is kinda crappy, depending on where you get it from- it certainly stains easily, at least.

The swap magic doesn't allow you to play PS1 games from different regions.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 11:43:15 AM »

And I'm not sure if they make a swap magic for the big old PS2s.  I could be wrong though.  We had a swap magic for our slim Euro PS2 while we were in the land of tea and footy and it worked great.

Just don't try to boot a Euro game with a preexisting NA game save or visa versa.  The data can remain on the same card, but if you try to load, we'll say, a save from an NA Digital Devil Saga with a European copy of DDS, that will probably corrupt that save.

So to reiterate, you can keep Euro and NA saves on the same card, just keep track of what save is what if you have multiple versions of the same game form different territories.

As for PS1 games from other regions, yeah, Howard's right, you're fucked.  :P

And if you're looking to import some RPGs, even some of the harder to find ones should be pretty cheap.  We got a copy of La Pucelle for about 12 quid.  :P

ShadowLaguna

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 08:25:24 AM »

We got a copy of La Pucelle for about 12 quid.  :P

Nice! I sometimes see it pre-owned at EBGames for silly prices, but 12 quid is pretty good. :)

Thanks for your help guys. I might look some more into the Swap Magic.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 03:55:59 AM »

Slide-cards are annoying, really annoying. Buy an American PS2/PStwo instead. They aren't exactly expensive and you can play PSone and PS2 games on 'm.

I own two big fat PS2s, one PAL, one NTSC U/C. Wouldn't want it any other way.
ShadowLaguna

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 07:05:43 PM »

Yeah, I was afraid I might have had to go for that. I have an original PS2, so I don't think I could use swap magic anyway. I guess looking for a US PS2 wouldn't be too harmful.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 08:26:52 AM »

Original PS2s have a SwapMagic. As to if they're still sold...

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: