Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 09:54:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327288 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  New Star Trek Trailer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New Star Trek Trailer  (Read 2191 times)
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 18, 2008, 06:34:40 PM »

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrek/

Reminds me of Star Trek: Enterprise. And that show sucked.

Visually it looks stunning (What doesn't these days?), but I'm not too sure about this. It looks like it's just another movie to please the fans with canon nonsense instead of just being a good movie, which is what was annoying to me about the TNG movies.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 06:55:20 PM »

-shrugs- The trailer is, in a word, uninspiring. It looks like any other movie and that doesn't make me keen on it, neither as fan nor as a discerning audience member.

On the other hand, some great movies have downright awful trailers, so... Yeah!
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 07:12:29 PM »

What's Star Trek?

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 08:56:51 PM »

The thing is, the franchise has been in decline ever since TNG ended (For good reason- everything after TNG ended, including the TNG movies, were garbage), and I'd like to hope that the trailer is only the way it is because they want to draw in general audiences and a new generation that have never watched Trek before.

I have low expectations either way though- Star Trek at its peak was about the characters and a good story. The two writers for the film (Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci) have been known for all kinds of brainless action films like Transformers and Eagle Eye, and I doubt they'd be able to deliver the things that made Star Trek good in the first place.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 09:37:18 PM »

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

In reality, the decline of Star Trek only actually occurs with the advent of Voyager. Deep Space Nine was in fact an improvement on the franchise in many ways, whereas Voyager, despite being a show of quality, returned to far too many familiar tropes and began to overuse material. By the time Enterprise rolled around, it was more of the same, dressed up in widescreen and chrome. The TNG movies haven't been uniformly bad either. First Contact is an excellent movie. To some degree, Insurrection isn't completely bad either, but the Baku were unfortunately artificial.

The idea that all the old Star Trek movies were good is pretty shaky, considering the first movie was terrible, and the fifth is a perennial laughingstock of science fiction movies.

TNG is also rather hilarious in its first two seasons, so there's that to consider. It had to grow into the strong franchise it was for five of its seven years. That kind of magic was passed on to Deep Space Nine, which only faltered in its final few episodes due to rushing the ending. DS9 was a change of pace however, which alienated some fans, but looking beyond bias, it has some extremely strong storytelling and characterisation. People can make fun of Rick Berman all they want -- and yes, he has finally worn out his welcome -- but not all of his work with the series has been bad.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 09:44:27 PM by Hidoshi » Logged
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 12:18:15 AM »

Oh, I actually didn't include DS9 in the decline of Star Trek- loved DS9 myself, just was making a blanket statement since DS9 was kind-of running side-by-side with TNG, even though it started later. Voyager, to me, was a bad show. The problem wasn't in the conception of the show, but they didn't make good use of what they had established in the show, and they had a very bad writing team. Voyager was filled with the most irritating things of science fiction- they felt the need to remind us every 5 minutes that we're in the damn future. Not only that, they also had bad writing because they had an inconsistent portrayal of the characters, especially Janeway and her highly selective application of The Prime Directive.

And damn, I don't even want to get started on Enterprise. At least Voyager was a show that occasionally pumped out a good episode.

I hated the TNG film franchise, but I don't think it was all bad. The thing I didn't like about First Contact was that it was essentially an action movie; there were no ideas, short of the 10-15 minutes they spent talking about Cochran and the Phoenix. The rest of the stuff with the Borg Queen and the Enterprise E was just meaningless shooting at Borg. Insurrection was alright too- but it was an episode, not a movie. I'll even go as far to say I liked Nemesis because of a good concepts and interesting conflicts they set up- but none of the movies really paid off with their storyline. The TOS movies were half good- 2, 4, and 6.

And yeah, TNG got off to a bad start, but the thing that made it so strong from season 3 on was when Rick Berman got an amazing writing team, and the real reason Voyager suffered was because by TNG season 7, it was starting to suck. Voyager was just a continuation of TNG with a different crew, which is what made it a bad show (Which continued onto the crappy Enterprise)- DS9 succeeded because it was a completely different writing crew with fresh ideas.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 12:22:59 AM by Hathen » Logged
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 09:25:03 AM »

It looks like it's just another movie to please the fans with canon nonsense instead of just being a good movie, which is what was annoying to me about the TNG movies.

I understood this new movie to be a near-complete break with established canon, with
Code:
evil time-travelling Romulans and good time-travelling Spock.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 10:55:25 AM »

Star Trek canon has been revised so often it's not worth mentioning dude. :P I'm sure this will be baxplained with some contrived idea. "Oh this was just left out of Federation records because of blah blah blah".

And cheers, Hathen.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 05:07:03 PM »

I thought the trailer looked quite fun, myself!

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 02:16:01 PM »

I'm kind of meh about it. The bit with the car at the start was pretty ridiculous.

I'm fine with the casting but I find reboots, as a whole, are kind of pussyish.

Curious but skeptical.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 02:19:57 PM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 04:06:45 PM »

JJ Abrams is a hack.  His vision of Star Trek is worm ridden dog shit festering in the sun.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: