Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 03:00:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330170 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  IGN ARTICLE ON SQUARE ENIX
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: IGN ARTICLE ON SQUARE ENIX  (Read 13804 times)
soulslayer89

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2008, 10:41:06 AM »

Hey guys, just wondering of any of you have read this article? http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/933/933825p1.html

IGN supposedly talks about ways on how SE could improve their production of RPG's because of all their recent "failures."

I, for one, think this article is full of bull. I will admit that it does make some points correctly, but the whole thing about making it more similar to WRPGS is kind of ticking me off. First of all, there wasn't even a WRPG or JRPG term till just a few years back. I can't understand why we can't all just simply call it an RPG, because it is what it is.

Also, there is a reason, at least for me, that "JRPGS" should never be like "WRPGS." The reason why I enjoy JRPGS so much is because it is not like WRPGS. If I want to play WRPGS, then I will. I like Fallout 3, Mass Effect, KOTOR. But not by any means do I want JRPGS to be like them.

Yes they are linear and often times repetitive. Yes, they don't present to you choices that can shape the balance of the world.  But so what? People may argue that JRPGS worlds are mundane and repetitive, but when you take a look at WRPGS, aren't there towns just as dull, if not duller? They look the same, obviously having been cut and paste, although I will give them credit on creating vibrant personalities for each member of a settlement. That is just fabulous.

Just to sum up my ranting, all I want to say is, let's just enjoy RPGS for what they are. Yes JRPGS have flaws, but if you were to make them something like a WRPG, then that would be like forcefully changing a culture. Let's just wait and see if they can make any improvements(I'm sure they will) in the near future. After all, patience is a virtue right? Anyway, let me know what you guys think about IGN's article. Thanks! :)
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 11:11:22 AM »

I love their ignorance. IU is a tri-Ace game and TLR is a game made by ONE of many development teams in S-E. Once FFXIII comes out, they'll shut up.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 11:20:50 AM »

I agree with some points. The stupid character animations are already being discussed here in the last remnant topic. The interaction with NPC's is also a valid point. You can't deny that they could learn a few lessons from western developers.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 11:32:47 AM »

Some points are good, others are not.  Characters in towns are a good point, since I talked to everyone in Mass Effect that I could (though there's technically only one, very freakin' large "town" in Mass Effect).  Every character had their own agenda, motivations, whatever... and the writing was always top notch.  Playing through The Last Remnant, all town NPCs so far have been boring with typical JRPG dialogue.  Tales of games are the worst at this, where NPCs will have one liners like "I love the beach."  I think the last JRPG I played where I went out of my way to talk to every NPC was Grandia 2, because the writing was phenomenal and the dialogue would further supplement character personalities since your party would be a full participant in these interactions.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 11:41:00 AM »

I love their ignorance. IU is a tri-Ace game and TLR is a game made by ONE of many development teams in S-E. Once FFXIII comes out, they'll shut up.

Also, they said IU was made on the Unreal Engine 3 which I'm pretty sure it wasn't made on.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 11:49:16 AM »

I think the last JRPG I played where I went out of my way to talk to every NPC was Grandia 2, because the writing was phenomenal and the dialogue would further supplement character personalities since your party would be a full participant in these interactions.
Not only that, but the NPCs in that game would say different things each time you spoke to them.  Too bad none of the other Grandia games were ever as good as 2.  Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana also did a great job with NPCs, particularly with following the storylines of the shopkeepers.

I still posit that though Square Enix has had an incredible year this year for RPG releases, both for original IPs and remakes, the best Square Enix RPG released in 2008 was The World Ends With You.  It seems to address every complaint these writers have about SE RPGs.    Beautiful presentation, cool storyline, great engine, innovative, had creative ideas that were beautifully fleshed out, was not dragged out too long, and had killer replay incentive.  

Pretty much anything I'd have to say on this subject is here: http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=4965.0 and it's about the genre in general and not any specific developers per se.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 04:58:25 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Antizerg

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 01:48:20 PM »

what square is giving us right now is crumbs before the big meal, the people who are bashing square right now will be most likely hanging posters of their future games and wanting to rake their yards.
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 02:01:44 PM »

First of all, there wasn't even a WRPG or JRPG term till just a few years back. I can't understand why we can't all just simply call it an RPG, because it is what it is.

Indeed. First it was casual vs. "hardcore" games, now it's jRPGs vs. wRPGs, what's next?
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 04:31:18 PM »

Wait, didn't we go through the same phase in 2002 when Squeenix just merged? Everyone was complaining about lack of innovation, too much innovation, lack of worldmaps Enix was falsely accused of unleashing the abomination known as Unlimited Saga etc. Then some good stuff came out and everyone forgot about that.

Taking two games from the same publisher, but different developers and calling it a trend is idiotic. Want a Squeenix trend? Final Fantasy ports and remakes are a trend. Disappointing Mana games are a trend. Square Enix unwillingness to use the Virtual Console is a trend. But  I guess that isn't flashy enough to write about.

You know what? I predict that 770 days after the gaming gods give birth to their new offspring, the nerd s will rage again and the digital lands will be consumed by their tears. From 4chan four annons will rise to lead the armies of the undead to do battle against the vocal fanboys who defend the old beliefs on Youtube. Few will survive the end of the old days and the new generation will be blessed with obliviousness. However, this unawareness will be a curse as well and history will repeat itself.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 04:42:46 PM »

The thing I like about entertainment (gaming being one of its medium's, or movies to say another) is that it doesn't necessary direct my life and change its outcome in some grand way...Unless I choose to direct movies or make games.

A good game comes out.  A bad games comes.  Who cares.  So long as a gem comes out every so often that I will thoroughly enjoy playing, I'll be happy.

Even with this, sure Squeenie has released a few shit games, but so has every major developer.  And the fact remains that Square has been responsible for a few of "Steph's Top 14 Favourite Games Ever" list.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 04:48:18 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 04:47:02 PM »

IGN = Lulz.

Teh end.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 04:56:07 PM »

Say what you will about the rest of it, but that last point was dead on.  JRPGs are too fucking long and have been for years.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 05:02:28 PM »

JRPGs are too fucking long and have been for years.

And RPGs from other countries aren't?  Some of the most annoyingly long RPGs that I got burnt out on did not come from Japan.  Still, these days my tolerance is 25-30 hours before something feels really stale and burnouty, especially since I only play 1-2 hours a day at most.  Exception to that is Persona.  I could play a Persona game for 75+ hours and not be sick of it.  15-20 hours with high replayability= awesome. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 05:05:51 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 05:10:21 PM »

Many of the acclaimed western RPG's are extremely lengthy because of the amount of material stuffed in. I guess the players has the freedom to rush through it, but most of these games encourage the gamers to stretch the experience/replay the game and choose a different path. The only difference is that Japanese RPGs are usually more linear. In both cases large amounts of time are spend killing stuff and micromanaging.

From my experience Japanese RPG's are getting shorter. A lot of the ones (50%?) I played were less than 30 hours long, which is usually a good length.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 06:38:12 PM »

20-30 hours is ideal for me, but I can tolerate 40-60 hours as long as the game is good (like a FF or SO game).

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: