Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 03:48:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338002 Posts in 13838 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  IGN ARTICLE ON SQUARE ENIX
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: IGN ARTICLE ON SQUARE ENIX  (Read 13923 times)
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 08:26:10 PM »

I've been kind of down on S-E in the past, but they ARE responsible for my favorite RPG of the current generation (Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates), and DQIX is pretty much gonna be the best game ever, so they're redeeming themselves in my eyes.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 09:51:58 PM »

To be honest, most of the sites these days have such a huge hard-on for WRPGs it's getting ridiculous. WRPGs and JRPGs appeal to different people.

It's like telling a company that makes third-person shooters to make first-person shooters.

Really, who the fuck does IGN think they are in the first place?
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 10:42:46 PM »

A site that can sway a good deal of people when they decide on what game to buy?

Pretty much what I was thinking when I first saw the article, though.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2008, 10:05:44 AM »

Say what you will about the rest of it, but that last point was dead on.  JRPGs are too fucking long and have been for years.

Didn't a lot of folks complain that Xenosaga Episode II was too short back then :P?

Infinite Undiscovery indeed was not developed using the UE3. So far, Square Enix has only used it to develop The Last Remnant. Talking about UE3, I agree with the article's first point. Why not use the Crystal Tools (aka White Engine)? Unfortunately, that is not going to happen. After all, one aim behind the creation of this new studio in California is enhancing their knowledge of Western middleware.

However, as somebody said, IGN will probably shut up next year. tri-Ace should be able to please its fanbase with Star Ocean 4, and Final Fantasy XIII will most likely score a 9.5+ rating on IGN, whenever it comes out. Keep in mind that Infinite Undiscovery and Last Remnant were the first two RPGs Square Enix released on Xbox 360 (if we leave aside the Final Fantasy XI port). If you think back to the early days of PlayStation 2, sure, Final Fantasy X was available in Japan one year after that system's launch, but apart from that, Square Enix's initial offerings were not mindblowing back then either. Just think about The Bouncer, All Star Pro Wrestling, etc. In 2001 they only had Final Fantasy X, before Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy XI arrived one year later. Considering that the new technology (be it Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3) is apparently more difficult to master, their first really solid game (Star Ocean 4 or Final Fantasy XIII) will most likely only arrive in 2009. 
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 02:01:39 PM »

A site that can sway a good deal of people when they decide on what game to buy.

Does anyone actually go to IGN anymore?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2008, 02:13:55 PM »

Does anyone actually go to IGN anymore?

Well, we clearly wouldn't be talking about this if they didn't!

The idea behind this article is valid, even if I think some of the points are really crummy and some of those that are valid are really pretty universal. It's good for the games of other nations or genres to be analyzed in order to make something truly great, or at least refreshing - we wouldn't have gotten Valkyrie Profile without tri-Ace mashing up RPGs with platformers for example. Anyways trying to better understand western games and their appeal and combine that with JRPGs is the design philosophy behind The Last Remnant, even if it may not have quite succeeded.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2008, 03:07:21 PM »

To be honest, I'm not really a fan of Western RPGs. I find they tend to be more about grinding and equipment management than anything else. The last WRPGs I really played and enjoyed were the Goldbox SSI D&D games for the C64. I don't want JRPGs to be more like WRPGs. They've each got their own flavour and I like that they're different.

The fact that there's all this "Western developers are better now" from Japan talk is kind of depressing. Games like Persona or even Onimusha are why I like games from Japan.

I don't want squad based shooters from Capcom, I want Breath of Fire VI.

cosapi
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2008, 04:12:48 PM »

I'm pretty certain the past 6 years contained a large amount of JRPGs which had very few redeeming qualities, not nearly enough to justify actually playing through them.

Even though the article focuses on two poorly made JRPGs, the same article could easily be applied to the majority of JRPGs that came out in recent years. Because I mean honestly, no one would even give two cents worth of shit about tri-ace if it wasn't for star ocean 2 which was only worth playing back in the day.

When I attempt to tolerate a JRPG, I like to test it to see if it's worth my time. If I can skip the cutscenes through my first play through by pressing a button, that increases the tolerability 2-fold. Because honestly I don't give a damn about the story of FMV cutscene "neko-kun" aka some small kid with anime hair who's dealing with being a teenager and no one understands him while he saves the world.

Another thing I look for is if the game contains random encounters. If it does, that's a serious point off for me. Honestly, if I was playing a game made over 10 years ago, I'd expect random encounters, but not today. However, even if a game has random encounters, a game can make up for it by having combat like Tales of for example. But good lord even tales of games can fail hard sometimes. That's why you're only supposed to play eternia and ToD remake, because anymore than that is too much tales.

Like when I tried playing that gamecube tales, and at the beginning some priest guy was staggering down the stairs about to collapse and he was rambling on about some "evil" or some such. I just had to turn the game off there, it was just too fucking generic.

And one more thing which makes JRPGs tolerable would be if the game allows me to customize stats and possibly skills. Because that shit's just fun.

I could go on but this post is long enough already as it is.

Wait, didn't we go through the same phase in 2002 when Squeenix just merged? Everyone was complaining about lack of innovation, too much innovation, lack of worldmaps Enix was falsely accused of unleashing the abomination known as Unlimited Saga etc. Then some good stuff came out and everyone forgot about that.

lol wut?
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2008, 04:32:33 PM »

Because I mean honestly, no one would even give two cents worth of shit about tri-ace if it wasn't for star ocean 2 which was only worth playing back in the day.

I laugh at this statement. Have you ever played a Valkyrie Profile game before? Or how about the other SO games that have some of the most fun battle systems I've ever played. Radiata Stories is also one of my favorite games for the PS2.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2008, 05:35:26 PM »

I'm pretty certain the past 6 years contained a large amount of JRPGs which had very few redeeming qualities, not nearly enough to justify actually playing through them.

Then I'm pretty sure you haven't played very many.

And the Tales games *are* the most generic RPG around. No one can blame you for turning those off.

Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2008, 05:48:17 PM »

No, Final Fantasy is more generic than Tales.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2008, 06:03:15 PM »

But Final Fantasy does do more to vary the gameplay! Really though, Final Fantasy is the standard most RPGs follow while Tales is a detached, heavily inbred offshot of the JRPG.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2008, 07:08:40 PM »

Please tell me you're joking. At least FF tries to do something different with each game. Whether they're successful or not is subjective.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2008, 08:59:16 PM »

Oh no, does someone hate JRPGs on RPGFan.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2008, 11:14:27 PM »

To be honest, most of the sites these days have such a huge hard-on for WRPGs it's getting ridiculous. WRPGs and JRPGs appeal to different people.

Pretty much my feelings exactly.  I know some games like Mass Effect are decent games and people enjoy them, however I did not (Although I did enjoy particular aspects of it).  I understand people's complaints about JRPGs. For example, someone in another thread mentioned how Mass Effect's dialogue from different townsfolk was varied, pertinent, and interesting which made you WANT to talk to people in town and compared that with a JRPG where townspeople often say silly shit.  I agree.  Last JRPG I can think of that I really WANTED to explore the towns and talk to people was Final Fantasy 12 (and to some extent, Persona 3.  But the towns were small and the list of NPCs were short so I'm not counting it).

In the end I still prefer JRPGs.  Due to my job, I do have a tolerance for mundane tasks and doing the same thing over and over.  Maybe that's why I still prefer them.  And I do agree with D-Rider.  Games have been too long for awhile now imo.  If you're gonna keep me playing for longer than what it feels like a game should be (Tales of the Abyss and Twilight Princess come to mind), the content better deliver.

I'd perhaps be tempted to agree with you if FF12 wasn't so great.  I know a lot of people hate on it and that's fine, but I loved it (though another game a bit too long).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 11:19:56 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: