Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 12:21:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334793 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  IGN ARTICLE ON SQUARE ENIX
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: IGN ARTICLE ON SQUARE ENIX  (Read 13879 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2008, 05:39:06 PM »

And Japanese developers don't make realistic games?  I mean, they have all those work-sim games, like the one where you have to be a rule and law abiding bus driver or you lose. 

Still there needs to be a balance.  Realism does not always equate to fun.  Look at ShenMue.  It was a relatively realistic game, but most of it was hurry up and wait.  Not fun.  On the other hand, some games that are more abstract may end up being too weird for people.  Killer7 anyone? 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 05:50:13 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2008, 07:13:29 PM »

It really all depends upon the game. And sure, for a lot of american made games, realism is what they're after... all I'm saying is that Western developers are kind of stuck in a rut, unable to branch out to more stylized games. Realism is only one style of games, just as realism is only one of many styles of painting. Only a small portion of paintings are "realistic", why is there such a huge emphasis on realism in games? There isn't in Japan, there isn't in many other parts of the world, but americans are kinda hung up on it.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2008, 11:07:34 PM »

It's the idea that games have the potential to be the most immersive art form, so developers believe that the more realistic they make games, the more they draw in the player. However, developers forget that players were plenty immersed in the old Mario games. It's not like we only enjoyed those games because we were able to put up with the hardware limitations. We can still play games on the Super Nintendo and have just as visceral an experience as any "realistic" game made today. I would also prefer more stylistic approaches to presentation in games. The more realistic games try to get, the more easily we see what flaws prevent the game from becoming totally realistic. Facial expressions, movements, physics, these can't ever be truly perfect, and while the more realistic approach may serve GTA IV well, it may not be as effective for other games.

For that matter, pre-rendered backgrounds were the shit. I miss feeling like I was playing a painting.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2008, 11:48:55 PM »

HURRRRRRRRR JAPANESE GAMES RULE AMERICANS DROOL DURRRRRRRRRRRRR
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2008, 12:18:17 AM »

*yawn*

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
cosapi
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2008, 09:55:52 PM »

Hey guys, I'm going to make a post about how I think others arguing on the internet is silly! I'll make sure to include lots of "hurr's" and "durr's" to reaffirm my point.

I laugh at this statement. Have you ever played a Valkyrie Profile game before? Or how about the other SO games that have some of the most fun battle systems I've ever played. Radiata Stories is also one of my favorite games for the PS2.

Valkyrie Profile was, simply put, given too much credit where credit was not due.

Then I'm pretty sure you haven't played very many.

Steambot chronicles is the closest thing to a good RPG which was in English on the ps2. Most of the jrpg, strat/jrpg games on ps2 are a burden just managing to tolerate getting to the first save point.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2008, 11:52:06 PM »

AHAHAHAHAHA

*gasps*

AHAHAHAHAHA

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2008, 11:57:31 PM »

I'm saying is that Western developers are kind of stuck in a rut
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2008, 12:23:50 AM »

Hey guys, I'm going to make a post about how I think others arguing on the internet is silly! I'll make sure to include lots of "hurr's" and "durr's" to reaffirm my point.

I laugh at this statement. Have you ever played a Valkyrie Profile game before? Or how about the other SO games that have some of the most fun battle systems I've ever played. Radiata Stories is also one of my favorite games for the PS2.

Valkyrie Profile was, simply put, given too much credit where credit was not due.

You should be crucified and your family emailed coupons for KMart.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2008, 12:25:50 AM »

ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2008, 01:48:03 AM »

Oh, this.....
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2008, 02:36:58 PM »

For that matter, pre-rendered backgrounds were the shit. I miss feeling like I was playing a painting.

Ya know, I totally agree. While I also like free camera games, the idea that I'm playing inside a series of still pieces of art is something I've always enjoyed. It allows the developers to really put exactly what they want in each scene. With real-time rendered 3D graphics, developers are limited to using the pre-constructed objects that their object artists create, and are unable to modify or touch them up, since there is no such thing as rastor graphics in that case. However, Okami was really able to capture that liquid painting feel, because they used a bunch of graphical programming to make all the 3D vectors blend and warp... they also used a lot of sprites placed on 3D planes, which made for some very sureal motion.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2008, 02:47:48 PM »

Most of the jrpg, strat/jrpg games on ps2 are a burden just managing to tolerate getting to the first save point.

Whut?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2008, 03:03:25 PM »

Most of the jrpg, strat/jrpg games on ps2 are a burden just managing to tolerate getting to the first save point.

Whut?

Allow me to translate.

"I have no patience, I like to complain about length, give me my instant gratification because masturbation is better than sex, wah wah wah fap fap fap waaaaaaaaah".

Or something to that effect. :P
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2008, 04:01:59 PM »

Ya know, I totally agree. While I also like free camera games, the idea that I'm playing inside a series of still pieces of art is something I've always enjoyed. It allows the developers to really put exactly what they want in each scene. With real-time rendered 3D graphics, developers are limited to using the pre-constructed objects that their object artists create, and are unable to modify or touch them up, since there is no such thing as rastor graphics in that case. However, Okami was really able to capture that liquid painting feel, because they used a bunch of graphical programming to make all the 3D vectors blend and warp... they also used a lot of sprites placed on 3D planes, which made for some very sureal motion.

I wouldn't be surprised if pre-rendered backgrounds made a small comeback. Developers have been messing around with 3D environments for a long time now, just because it's the most advanced thing at the moment. However, 3D isn't all that. Some developers went back to working with 2D graphics, acknowledging it as a full-fledged style instead; no longer viewing it as a result of hardware limitations. Maybe other developers will do the same with pre-rendered backgrounds. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: