Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 10:51:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335177 Posts in 13724 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fabula Nova Crystallis project.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Fabula Nova Crystallis project.  (Read 7227 times)
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 13, 2006, 09:23:23 AM »

First off, it all looks gorgeous. FF XIII could be the long-awaited 'spiritual successor' to the Phantasy Star legacy that PSO never was. <RANT>And before this gets derailed into a topic about PSU, it's looking more PSO with every announcement! I'm talking about a stand-alone RPG, not a hybrid online/offline title that has the near-impossible task of trying to be both Final Fantasy and World of Warcraft in one package! (But I'll reserve proper judgement until it's out!)</RANT>

Agito XIII has a lot of potential. With Sony keen to make the PS3 the centre of peoples' electronic lives, mobile phone connectivity seems like an obvious route to go along, and what better way to do this than by making portions of one of its flagship title's content only accessable if you have the game on your mobile and your PS3?

But the we get to FF Versus XIII. Looks stunning. I mean, looks really stunning, if that's in-game, real-time graphics we're being shown, and not FMV, which, unfortunately, is highly likely at this point. My concern stems from this picture and the phrase "featuring an 'extreme action' bent." How so? Because it reminds me the hell of Drakengard, that's why! And what the PS3 does not need is another Drakengard.

Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 10:11:50 AM »

Isn't it headed by the Kingdom Hearts team? That has already eased my worries, at least for now.
RequiemofaDemon
Banninated

AWholeNewVivi
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 12:09:51 PM »

While FF Vs. XIII looks good, the PS3 does need another Drakengard. Drakengard 2 is absolutely amazing.

Ban evader.  Nothing to see here. :P
Malevolent_Angel

Magun246@hotmail.com Magun246@hotmail Magun246@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 01:58:12 PM »

All  three games look really cool, I'm just not sure about the cell phone game. I mean, so far, it looks pretty cool, I just can't see myself playing a serious game on a cell phone.

We hold in our hearts, the sword and the faith. Swelled up from the rain, clouds move like a wraith. Well after all we'll lie another day. And through it all, we'll find some other way. To carry on, through cartilage and fluid. And did you come to stare, or wash away the blood?
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 03:18:30 PM »

Final Fantasy Versus XIII is indeed developed by the same team that did Kingdom Hearts 2, with Tetsuya Nomura producing/directing. Also, that screenshot is from a FMV. The video sequences in FF VS. XIII will be produced by the same unit that did Advent Children. Without having seen any ingame screenshots it's really hard to say anything about the game, but as Merkava said, just the fact that it's headed by Nomura should mean that we'll get a solid action RPG if nothing else.
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 07:10:16 AM »

Quote from: "Evil Gately"
Agito XIII has a lot of potential. With Sony keen to make the PS3 the centre of peoples' electronic lives, mobile phone connectivity seems like an obvious route to go along, and what better way to do this than by making portions of one of its flagship title's content only accessable if you have the game on your mobile and your PS3?

If Square Enix requires that you get the mobile game in order to fully enjoy Final Fantasy XIII, I will never buy another Square Enix game again.  They should not pull any of those kinds of fucking stunts.  I have no interest in ever owning a cell phone and if they require that you buy the cell phone game in order to enjoy the main title, then they are basically fucking the consumer over.

That kind of shit will piss me off enough that I would boycott the company.  Do not cripple the gaming experience in order to make people buy another game (that they are not necessarily interested in) in order to fully enjoy a game they actually want.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 07:13:50 AM »

MonCaptain: I think it's 'getting the most out of' in the same way you 'get the most out of' Matrix Revolutions by playing Enter the Matrix. Side story that might explain some things, but nothing a quick faq wouldn't answer, let alone anything really /need/ to know about anyway.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 07:17:04 AM »

Capitan has a good point here. I have nothing at all against Squeenix creating these universe-specific mini-series (or what the hell you should call them), as long as they're all stand-alone products. If I am required to play Agito or even Versus XIII in order to fully enjoy Final Fantasy XIII then I'm going to think really hard before I get the game.

So sure, it's fine if all games share the same universe (like the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII stuff), but they'd better not share the same storyline.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 07:20:45 AM »

The thing is, what's 'fully experince'? You could say that you'd need to play through the Compiliation of FFVII to 'fully' experince FFVII, but you've got the core game there, you played from beginning to end, and basically experinced all that really mattered. Admittedly, FFVII was meant to be a single, stand alone game while games like FFX and FFXIII didn't have that plan in mind... But even then, FFX was perfectly enjoyable on it's own outside of a tidbit at the end, and fuck it, I can just ignore that. :P

Though, I have to agree that I'm not fond of this movement. I prefer each FF to be it's stand alone game, and that's that. But ultimately, they need to do what's profitable... Meh, I'm probably just being an ass who's being nostalgic about older times. :P

Edit: Though thinking about it more, there was Chain of Memories that was pretty damn important between KH1 and KH2... But, again, faq.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 07:30:13 AM »

Fully experience the game = no unresolved story threads that are continued in stand alone games. You could claim that Compilation of FF VII games does this, but those were developed after-the-fact and thus the main game does not suffer from it. I could see them pulling crap like having a side character mysteriously disappear from the main game, and then be all "If you want to experience ANGSTY HERO #10's full story, go get Final Fantasy XIII-V now!!"

If they instead use every game in the Project to flesh out other parts of the Universe that wasn't in focus in Final Fantasy XIII, then that's perfectly fine. Sounds like Squeenix are doing a good job of this with Crisis Core. While Zack was indeed a character in FF VII, you never got to play as him and he was basically a supporting char. Crisis Core will flesh out his story, without it ever having an impact on FF VII per se.

That gives me a thougth. Squeenix should totally develop a Final Fantasy VIII-2 in which we get to play as Laguna.
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 07:31:43 AM »

You misunderstand me.  What I mean is that if you need this cell phone game in order to unlock content in the main game, I will be seriously pissed off.  It is one thing if the game has background information that can be found in an FAQ, it is an entirely different thing when the game is crippled if you don't by the cell phone game.  That is what I am referring to.  If you need the cell phone game in order to unlock content in Final Fantasy XIII, I will be furious with Square Enix.  All the content to be had in Final Fantasy XIII should be available to the player without him/her needing to buy another game to access it.  That is what I was referring to in my post.

Quote from: "Cauton"
That gives me a thougth. Squeenix should totally develop a Final Fantasy VIII-2 in which we get to play as Laguna.

THat would rock.  With a prequel game, they could flesh out a lot of backstory in the main game.  There are plot holes that could be filled if they did one.

Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 12:12:30 PM »

FF13 needs to start off like FFX in FUTURE WORLD. Except it needs to stay in FUTURE WORLD because that place looked fucking awesome. Similarly FF7  started out in TECHNO-FUCK LAND but then became "lol trees". I liked Midgar.

FF13 shall hopefully fit, TEH_BILL.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 03:01:00 PM »

Ahh, unlockable content. Even then, they'd /have/ to make that something trivial that doesn't matter, and not something required to beat the game. at most I imagine a secret dungeon or maybe an extra character; it's not like Metroid Prime suffered for you needing Metroid Fusion, a GBA, and a GBA Link cable just to unlock Metroid 1 and the Fusion suit.
Ventrue

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 04:43:18 PM »

Or FFVIII/SaGa Frontier 2 and its Pocket Station adds :P
CarpeNoctumXIII
Banninated

CarpeNoctumXIII
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 09:37:37 PM »

How much of the E# trailer was real-time, and how much of it was just CG? Some people say all of it is CG, some say all is real-time, and some say it's both. Any facts?

--Oh, please. Warping the minds of men and shepherding the masses has always been your Church's domain. You lure sheep with empty miracles and a dead God. ...Or perhaps you, too, are a sheep, Samantha. A poor little lamb, bleating for your faith as though it were milk of the poppy. Yet mark your savior well, for he is one of the demons you so fear, Samantha--
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: