Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 04:12:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332821 Posts in 13638 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Joe Satriani is suing Coldplay for plagarism.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Joe Satriani is suing Coldplay for plagarism.  (Read 6295 times)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2008, 05:55:26 PM »

LOLZ

You can hear the songs side-by-side here.

As much as I like Satch, I'm not sure he has a case here.  There's only so many chord changes and modes in Western music; you're gonna have some overlap here and there.  Hell, if we start down this slope, Tony Iommi is gonna end up with enough money to buy the entirety of England. :P

I would just like to say that this is the first time I've heard a Coldplay song.  The world seems a little darker now.

Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 08:11:56 PM »

That melody sounds like it could've been on hundreds of songs.  I'm thinking that's a really common chord progression so I too am not sure Satch has a case.  Regardless, Coldplay sucks. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 11:54:54 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 02:32:26 PM »

Y'know, Coldplay's last album wasn't all that bad. The song in this case is a bit poo, but they actually tried some interesting stuff on the album, with a few good results. Brian Eno did them some good.

As for the whole Satch thing, it does sound very similar, but it seems unlikely that it was an intentional plagarism.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 02:49:57 PM »

Regardless, Coldplay sucks. 

What?! I beg to differ...

Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 02:58:55 PM »

Beg all you want, Coldplay still sucks.  Their music is trite, lame, boring, soulless, listless, bland, completely forgettable, corporate drivel.  The band is neither interesting nor exciting.  Most overrated band to come out in the last decade.  EDIT:  And I can't stand that singer's soporific voice.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 06:22:13 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 03:07:31 PM »

I disagree, but I don't really mind much.

Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 10:34:39 PM »

Beg all you want, Coldplay still sucks.  Their music is trite, lame, boring, soulless, listless, bland, completely forgettable, corporate drivel.  The band is neither interesting nor exciting.  Most overrated band to come out in the last decade. 

Sorry man, but I won't have to beg. The adjectives you used describe X&Y but remain hyperbole when applied to their career as a whole. I bought into the whole Coldplay-hating thing once, but then I actually sat down and gave them a chance. Just because they happen to work with melodies and mostly traditional song structures (and that is mostly, not always; try Politik or plenty of Viva La Vida) doesn't mean they're corporate drivel.

I respect your dislike of the band. I can see why you don't like them. I, on the other hand, appreciate their sense of melody, their attention to songcraft, and their ability to self-criticize and know when something is wrong. The fact that they went to Brian Eno to help them get in touch with their strengths while branching outward shows they don't just belong to the corporate drivel. They honestly want to be a good band and write good music. Personally, I believe they have succeeded. People need to stop fucking comparing them to U2 and Radiohead. Coldplay is a very different band and I believe the comparisons only build a hype that cannot be realized.

Besides, I think Metal is soulless. I also believe Joe Satirani makes pointless, soulless music. I believe they both only focus on guitar heroics rather than actually conveying any emotions beyond base, simple anger. I can appreciate the incredible skill of these musicians, but Metal says nothing to me, and to me, has no real emotional power. I will never say Metal sucks, though, because I respect the fact that it does speak to a great deal of people, but I personally dislike it.

EDIT: but as for the specific topic at hand, I think Coldplay deserve credit for creating something listenable while (maybe) using the same chord progression as Joe Satriani's shallow noodling. I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but hey. Satriani represents everything I despise in guitar-playing. His music is the equivilant to the fucker who goes to a party with his guitar to get attention.

And also, maybe all blues musicians should sue each other. It's not like Blues is defined by various types of chord progressions or a common technique or anything.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 10:39:16 PM by Merkava » Logged
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 01:05:19 PM »

Beg all you want, Coldplay still sucks.  Their music is trite, lame, boring, soulless, listless, bland, completely forgettable, corporate drivel.  The band is neither interesting nor exciting.  Most overrated band to come out in the last decade. 

Sorry man, but I won't have to beg. The adjectives you used describe X&Y but remain hyperbole when applied to their career as a whole. I bought into the whole Coldplay-hating thing once, but then I actually sat down and gave them a chance. Just because they happen to work with melodies and mostly traditional song structures (and that is mostly, not always; try Politik or plenty of Viva La Vida) doesn't mean they're corporate drivel.

I respect your dislike of the band. I can see why you don't like them. I, on the other hand, appreciate their sense of melody, their attention to songcraft, and their ability to self-criticize and know when something is wrong. The fact that they went to Brian Eno to help them get in touch with their strengths while branching outward shows they don't just belong to the corporate drivel. They honestly want to be a good band and write good music. Personally, I believe they have succeeded. People need to stop fucking comparing them to U2 and Radiohead. Coldplay is a very different band and I believe the comparisons only build a hype that cannot be realized.

Besides, I think Metal is soulless. I also believe Joe Satirani makes pointless, soulless music. I believe they both only focus on guitar heroics rather than actually conveying any emotions beyond base, simple anger. I can appreciate the incredible skill of these musicians, but Metal says nothing to me, and to me, has no real emotional power. I will never say Metal sucks, though, because I respect the fact that it does speak to a great deal of people, but I personally dislike it.

I agree with you very much about Coldplay. X&Y was a pretty poor album that really deserved the U2 comparison, but otherwise they've put out some good material. Their first album contains some really beautiful songs, and as I said in my initial post their latest effort does show them trying to push their sound forward. They're not fantastic musicians by any means, but they're often damn good songwriters. I'd listen to Coldplay over Satch any day.

Naturally though, I have to jump to metal's defence a little bit. It really does depend what kind of metal you listen to. I agree that Satch is pretty soulless, but there are a lot of metal bands that are loaded with emotion, be it in a whole load of soul in the playing or the sheer twisted hatred of so many death metal bands. Like any genre, metal is full of crappy derivative bands, led by the few that make incredible music.

(Merkava, you may have dug an unpleasant hole for yourself in this topic, I fear :P)

I had a stupid dream

Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 07:48:32 PM »

Oh for sure. I just (sort of) dissed metal in a predominantly metal fan forum. I just want to say first that I will always give metal a chance, even if what I've heard I haven't gotten that much from. I respect your guys' music tastes, but will understand if you feel like I have attacked something you hold dear, just as I would react if people call a lot of the music I listen to "sissy emo shit." I even like some metal, and perhaps I was a generalizing because of the knee-jerk quality of my reaction.

Besides, musicians in metal band floor me. I don't doubt that any of those guys would kick my ass in a guitar battle.

Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 06:07:21 PM »

Regarding the case, could the fact that the Coldplay song has lyrics be a trump card in their favor for some judge to rule that it's not the same song?  On the other hand, wouldn't there be rights to protect the IPs of instrumental musicians' material? 

Perhaps the case needs the Vanilla Ice defense somewhere.

Vanilla Ice.  Yeesh.  That clown's on the abysmal level of suckitude with drivel like Michael Bolton, Celine Dion, and Barry Manilow.  As much as I hate Coldplay's music, I can tolerate it far more than the aforementioned paragons of ineptitude.

As for Satch, he's hit or miss with me.  I think his The Extremist album is excellent and "Cryin' " off of that album is one of my favorite songs of all time.  On the other hand, "The Mighty Turtle Head" off the following album is terrible.  Satch's guitar sounds completely out of tune on that song.  If that was the first Satch song anyone heard, they'd all be saying, "that guy sucks."  My all time favorite guitarist is still Eric Johnson.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 08:29:14 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 07:40:56 PM »

I really like Coldplay's first album. Rush of Blood to the Head was weak, as was the third one (which I listened to but didn't end up buying - or even downloading), each having two, maybe three good songs.

As for metal being soulless, you can go STRAIGHT TO HELL where the Metal Gods will shove METAL UP YOUR ASS.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 08:35:21 AM »

On a very loosely related note, I was selling some prescription medicine to a customer yesterday and had to take their address. The first line of their address was VALHALLA. How metal is that!

I had a stupid dream

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 03:20:28 AM »

First thought:

Who the fucks Joe Satriani?

* Wiki's it *

Second thought:

Who the fucks Joe Satriani?

Third though:

I really wish Porcupine Tree had more than one good album (although other than In Absentia, I've only heard Deadwing, which was... really crappy nu-metal that reminds me of Coldplay, doing nu-metal, Stupid Dream, which reminds me of Coldplay with Division Bell-era Gilmour guesting on it, and Signify, which... um... I can't remember any of the songs off of that, but I'm sure THAT one didn't remind me of Coldplay).

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Reives

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 10:07:27 PM »

I haven't really listened to the tracks (the linked video's now unavailable), and nor do I listen to Coldplay, but I imagine that the publicity the suing band has received from this is really something; wouldn't be surprised if that was the goal to begin with as I'm sure many suspects.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 05:28:25 PM »

I really wish Porcupine Tree had more than one good album (although other than In Absentia, I've only heard Deadwing, which was... really crappy nu-metal that reminds me of Coldplay, doing nu-metal, Stupid Dream, which reminds me of Coldplay with Division Bell-era Gilmour guesting on it, and Signify, which... um... I can't remember any of the songs off of that, but I'm sure THAT one didn't remind me of Coldplay).

As much as I do iike In Absentia... probably one of my favorites is Lightbulb Sun, the album that preceded it. Honestly, I really don't care much for PT these days. They're basically a washed up, slightly heavier version of Marillion. But after a while, Marillion learned that gloom and depression got boring, so they started branching out and doing other things like Marillion.com and some of the stuff off of Marbles. Steve Wilson (leader of PT) produced part of Marillion.com, and it was around that time that the bands sounded practically identical. Since then, Marillion's embraced a bit more variety of expression (except for their latest, which I heard was a lemon), and PT just got more gloomy and ansty as time went on. Now every time I heard PT I want to kill myself. No thanks, I'll take Marillion, even if they have a sight bit of cheese. Marbles fucking rocks.

As for Coldplay... if you want that kind of stuff done with an ounce of originality, listen to Radiohead or Muse. Hell, Radiohead sorta started that style anyway, and their still better at it.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: