Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 03:10:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341038 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Time's Top 10 Games of the Year
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Time's Top 10 Games of the Year  (Read 7623 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 08, 2008, 02:52:35 PM »

1. Grand Theft Auto IV
2. Braid
3. Little Big Planet
4. Rock Band 2
5. Gears of War 2
6. Dead Space
7. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
8. Hunted Forever
9. Fieldrunners
10. Spore

What the hell is Field Runners?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 03:26:04 PM »

A quick Google search reveals that it's a game for everyone's favorite gaming platform: The iPhone.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 03:41:35 PM »

A list like this without Metal Gear Solid IV and Super Smash Bros. Brawl....seems weird.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 03:49:16 PM »

It's because you're not considering the Time audience. :P

The fact is that the readership of Time is not the "informed" audience (bloggers, review-readers, forum lurkers, etc), nor the "hobby" audience (sometimes erroneously called 'hardcore' gamers). They would be chiefly composed of recreational gamers (erroneously called 'casual' gamers), and sports gamers (not to be confused with gamers who play sports games).

Recreational gamers play games just to relax or distract themselves. These are the people whose chief preoccupation at one time was playing Minesweeper or Solitaire. They have since expanded their repertoire. Sports gamers are people who play fitness games like Wii Fit, or mind challenges like Big Brain Academy. They don't have any interest in narrative or competition, which means games like Metal Gear Solid and Super Smash Bros. may be on their radar, but they don't care about them.

Sports gamers probably enjoy games like Spore, Fieldrunners, and Rock Band 2. Recreational gamers would be into Braid, Hunted Forever, and LittleBigPlanet. Grand Theft Auto IV, Gears of War 2, and Dead Space are on the list by being big-box promotions this year. They're in the public mindset as "general media". Star Wars: the Force Unleashed is like this too, only it differs slightly in that it is not "new" general media, it's a derivative property. It's a good game in the realm of Star Wars as a property, which gives it plenty of general exposure.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 03:52:51 PM by Hidoshi » Logged
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 04:05:50 PM »

The Force Unleashed sucked.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 04:29:11 PM »

That list blows. How a game like Force Unleashed, with it's lackluster reviews across the board, gets on there over so many more worthy games, proves it.
Bad list or not, it's good to see Braid and Dead Space on there.
I haven't played GTAIV, but I still laugh at it's #1 spot. Can you BE more original please?
No MGSIV is odd.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 04:31:11 PM »

I didn't know Time did video game lists.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 04:40:21 PM »

That list blows. How a game like Force Unleashed, with it's lackluster reviews across the board, gets on there over so many more worthy games, proves it.
Bad list or not, it's good to see Braid and Dead Space on there.
I haven't played GTAIV, but I still laugh at it's #1 spot. Can you BE more original please?
No MGSIV is odd.

It's not odd at all. The people interested in this list and the people making it have no investment in a property like Metal Gear Solid IV. The long cutscenes combined with the embedded need to understand the mythos would keep it from the recreationists or the sporties. It makes no sense for them to invest in that kind of game; it's not built for them.

A game like GTAIV requires no such investment, and it's largely pick-up-and-play when you want it to be. The Force Unleashed may be mediocre in terms of reception, but it's one of the most heavily marketed Star Wars derivatives in years, and it helps that this has been a big push year for Star Wars-related products (hi there Clone Wars).
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 04:52:29 PM »

GTAIV seems surprising more due to the backlash it seems to be receiving post-release. But then this is the community at work, it might be different if I wait for the GotY awards. And Force Unleashed is baffling given the quality of some of the other entries.

On the plus, Braid! Nice to see that get such a high level of recognition.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 05:56:36 PM »

HAHAHA!...What-ever!  That list is all over the place. And where is THE game of the year...Fallout 3??? 
Actually, Left 4 Dead should be acknowledged as well. It's head and shoulders above something like Force Unleashed.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 05:59:16 PM by Esper_Crusader » Logged

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 05:56:50 PM »

That's the other factor at work. In order for this kind of article to attract attention with a "Time" crowd, you need to cater a little to the populist crowd. The fact is that GTA IV and The Force Unleashed do that. Whether they're good or not is entirely besides the point; they attract attention. It's obvious said listmakers aren't devoid of taste, considering their choice in Braid, nor are they unconscious of the market seeing how they unearthed relative unknowns. But they are having to compromise with their audience and give them a bit of what the general readership would know.

Esper Crusader - It's not backwards, but it is undoubtedly not for "you". You represent an invested gamer, probably the hobbyist demographic. Fallout 3 may be an absolutely fantastic game, and yes, for a certain crowd it IS game of the year. But again; think of the source. This is Time we're talking about, not EGM or a similar publication. Time is probably well aware of Fallout 3 and other such games (Fable II for instance), but it has no reason to present those on its top 10 list. It's not a magazine focused around teen culture nor gaming.

Amazingly there are people who live outside our demographic and still play video games. :P
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 05:58:59 PM by Hidoshi » Logged
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 06:01:09 PM »

Yeah, I realize what you're saying. That list was obviously not created "by gamers for gamers" at all. I just thought I'd scoff at if for a bit:p

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 07:55:59 PM »

Holy crap gaming really IS dead.

(or)

Holy crap Time Magazine really IS dead.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 03:21:10 AM »

A url for the list really should've been supplied! So here it is. At least now I can see why, say, Force Unleashed is on there.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 07:59:06 AM »

What the... in their bit about Fieldrunners, the iPhone "will soon be serious competition for the Nintendo DS and Sony's PSP."  Yeah, I don't think so.  It's going to sell games, but serious competition?  It's not the same kind of thing at all.  It's better than an N-Gage, but that's not really too much of a stretch.

Of course, I will say that I love Desktop Tower Defense (which I believe is the original version), which Fieldrunners appears to be a blatant copy of.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: