Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 06:06:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334648 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What Final Fantasy DS game is best and why?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: What Final Fantasy DS game is best and why?  (Read 6525 times)
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 05:36:20 AM »

which one has the best story?

FFIV has a fairly basic, but brilliant story! It's definitely superior to FFIII's. And i'd imagine it's better than the other FF DS titles when it comes to the story.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Noobien
The Random Clueless Guy of The Forums

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 09:08:59 AM »

so in terms of plot, FFIV is better than FFXII?

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 10:00:11 AM »

is XII alright? from the trailers it looks ok
Revenant Wings? I haven't heard too much good said there and it is a direct sequel to a game that, I imagine, didn't actually need it.

And ugh. FFIV's story isn't brilliant, but it is important. It was one of the first RPGs to seriously attempt for a narrative and none had done as much as it had prior (though DQIV had an interesting scenario and III a novel plot twist at the end).
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 10:01:04 AM »

I thought FFXII's plot started getting really incoherent when every other word was "deifacted nethicyte" and it veered off into BS political intrique.

I think the phrase "highschool creative writing class" sums up my opinions on FFXII's story very well.

It was one of the first RPGs to seriously attempt for a narrative and none had done as much as it had prior

One of the first console RPGs to seriously attempt a narrative, as there'd been a couple of PC games prior to it that had been very narrative-focused, Ultima 6 probably being the most noteworthy, although saying FFIV was the first JRPG to seriously attempt a narrative still doesn't really sit right with me, because I'm not really willing to say it was THAT much more narrative-driven than something lik Dragon Quest 4, Seiken Densetsu 1 was very narrative-oriented and came out a month before, FFL2 was pretty narrative oriented and came out about half a year earlier, I believe? And even then, that's excluding things like Crystalis and a good portion of the Ys series. The Phantasy Star games also seriously attempted having a strong narrative structure, although it's very debatable if 2 and 3 actually succeeded at that.

And even then I don't know if I'd say FFIV was successful at it because its story wasn't THAT great and more importantly, its focus on narrative precluded any sort of exploration, sidequestry, or decision making on the part of the player.

Fans of FFIV responded to it very well. Fans of FFVII also frequently wrote Sephiroth/Cloud slash. I'm not sure what parallel I'm trying to draw here.

---edit---

lol i don't know how to use tags on the internet also I can't remember how to spell anymore!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 10:21:21 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 10:23:28 AM »

IMHO, FFT had a better narrative than FF12 - especially if you consider the cleaned-up translation in FFT for PSP - and that game came out WAY before FF12 did. Same universe, though. (That reminds me: must buy Vagrant Story off eBay!)
Noobien

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2008, 10:45:28 AM »

Code:
ok. seeing as i got halfway through IV on GBA

***SPOILER***
[code/] up untill cecil becomes a paladin
i suppose ive seen the biggest plot point so im just gonna go for RW

Noobien

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2008, 10:46:10 AM »

what the heck just happened to my post O_o

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2008, 02:57:09 PM »

Cecil becoming a paladin is even less of a spoiler than Aeris dying. Good god the DS version shows it in the manual and in the opening FMV.

Also, point taken on the narrative. Even if DQIV can be argued Ys is less debatable.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2008, 06:05:33 AM »

Code:
ok. seeing as i got halfway through IV on GBA

***SPOILER***
[code/] up untill cecil becomes a paladin
i suppose ive seen the biggest plot point so im just gonna go for RW

No, there a bigger parts of the plot than Cecil becoming a Paladin. Hell, I don't think that would even count as a spoiler.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2008, 07:29:24 PM »

Pretty sure it doesn't count when they show it in the opening CG.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2008, 07:46:36 PM »

There's some pretty key plot points you're going to miss if you never finish FFIV.  Really you won't ever fully understand the storyline without completing the game.  Trust me, I'd know.  FFIV DS was the first FFIV I actually finished up.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2008, 08:53:38 PM »

The DS version did add some stuff, notably near the end and pertaining to one of the major characters. Namely
Code:
the past of Golbez once the mind control is broken on the Giant of Bab-il. The original versions just had it laid out that it could have easily been Cecil mind controlled instead, while the DS version specifically stated Golbez was more prone to it by detailing his childhood history.
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2008, 12:05:18 AM »

Is FF3 really that great? I got it for Christmas last year and was bored to tears in the first two hours. Haven't touched it since. Maybe I should give it another chance?

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2008, 01:32:14 AM »

Is FF3 really that great? I got it for Christmas last year and was bored to tears in the first two hours. Haven't touched it since. Maybe I should give it another chance?

No, it's pretty much horrible from hour number one.  If you didn't like how it started, you damn sure won't get pulled into it later.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2008, 02:05:23 AM »

It's vastly superior to II and I thought it was decent, but if you got that bored that quickly I'd forget about it. Go play V or something, it's better in pretty much every regard.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: