Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 06:43:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334756 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  One of those music recommendation threads, yo.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: One of those music recommendation threads, yo.  (Read 5043 times)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 10, 2008, 11:48:56 AM »

Okay bitches, I told Dade a week ago that I'd find him some music.  I'm coming up really short, so I'm passing my duties on to you.

He likes Muse.  He wants something with that "epic feel" that a song like "Knights of Cydonia" has.  Something a little more substantial than verse/chorus/verse or what have you.  The thing is, my definition of epic is shit like Symphony X, and I don't think that's what he'd want.  So start listing some bands here that a Muse lover might like and I'll direct him here. :P
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 11:54:04 AM by D-Rider » Logged

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 02:27:00 PM »

You've posed quite a tough question.

I hate to say it, but maybe Coheed and Cambria? They're similar to Muse insofar as they're sort of prog-lite. Definitely not your typical verse/chorus/verse fare, and they definitely have a sense of the epic. Perhaps The Dear Hunter as well.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 05:36:52 PM »

Coheed and Cambria

:(

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 06:34:25 PM »

I hate to say it, but maybe Coheed and Cambria?

I hate that you said it too, but you're probably right. :P

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 06:34:48 PM »

Definitely some Rush.  Though if he's not big on Geddy's vocals he won't dig Coheed either.  He may like Bubblemath.  "Miscreant Citizen" is my favorite Bubblemath song.  Direwolf is something worth checking out.  Direwolf is a side project of Mike Lerner (Behold... The Arctopus) so it's a bit out there.  Consider it jazzy space rock black metal.  Awesome stuff.  

It's tough since my idea of epic is stuff like Suspyre or Divinity Destroyed.  I love DD's soaring melodies. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 07:27:43 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 08:39:33 PM »

I know this is off topic, and if you feel I should make a new topic I suppose I can, but I must ask why so many people don't like Coheed and Cambria?  I never listened to them much because a lot of my friends just said they sucked, but after giving them a chance I've found that I do enjoy a bit of their music.  Is it the lead singer's voice?  I admit I know nothing about the story and don't really attempt to through the music but most songs stand well on their own and I do like their sound.  I admit I'm not very big into this genre of music and know nothing about it so maybe they are just mediocre compared to others so I am a bit curious.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 09:08:58 PM »

I know this is off topic, and if you feel I should make a new topic I suppose I can, but I must ask why so many people don't like Coheed and Cambria?  I never listened to them much because a lot of my friends just said they sucked, but after giving them a chance I've found that I do enjoy a bit of their music.  Is it the lead singer's voice?  I admit I know nothing about the story and don't really attempt to through the music but most songs stand well on their own and I do like their sound.  I admit I'm not very big into this genre of music and know nothing about it so maybe they are just mediocre compared to others so I am a bit curious.

Take one Queensryche, strip away anything remotely musically interesting, add a hint of ELP-like arrogance, steal Neal Peart's notebook of sci-fi lyrics that were too stupid for the '70s, simmer it in a little Green Day, kick it in the balls until it squeaks, and then market it as progressive rock.  That's Coheed and Cambria.

Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 09:26:13 PM »

I thought people were giving Coheed and Cambria a bad rap when I liked the song on Rock Band (the vocals were a bit much for me but I liked the music) so I checked out their other stuff and it was crap. That's why people don't like them, they are crap.

I have no musical suggestions for muse-esque artists unfortunately.

Losfer
The Pope

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 11:41:44 PM »

Take one Queensryche, strip away anything remotely musically interesting, add a hint of ELP-like arrogance, steal Neal Peart's notebook of sci-fi lyrics that were too stupid for the '70s, simmer it in a little Green Day, kick it in the balls until it squeaks, and then market it as progressive rock.  That's Coheed and Cambria.

Quote from: Adapheon
they are crap

One eloquent and one to the point.  Give these men medals.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 07:31:06 AM »

Another band to suggest may be Thrice.  I know their first couple of albums are straightforward rock, but their more recent stuff has been more conceptual/prog-lite.  I wouldn't have even thought of them had an old buddy of mine on the boards not brought it to my attention a few weeks back.  Their lyrics are good and they are trying to do new things as a band. 

As for Coheed, for me it's the vocals.  I'm not a big fan of Geddy's voice either, but I LOVE the song "Roll the Bones" because Geddy sings it in a low register. 

http://www.cdbaby.com CD Baby is all music by independent artists in all genres.  And there are samples.

Here's the Bubblemath one I liked: http://cdbaby.com/cd/bubblemath

Here's Direwolf http://cdbaby.com/cd/direwolf (I don't care if it's heavier and more bizarre than what your boy's looking for, that's what makes it cool.)

And I did a search on CD Baby for artists that sound like Muse and here's what I came up with.  Can't say I've listened to all of it, but there may be something there worthwhile.  The Riot is very Muse-like. http://cdbaby.com/found?artist=&soundlike=Muse&style=&album=
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 07:42:51 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Losfer
The Pope

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 11:38:12 AM »

What was that website that allows you to put in three band names and after you do that, they provide you a list of similar artists?  That might be helpful.

Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 12:35:11 PM »

Interesting responses to my question. 

Both Last.fm and Pandora do something sort of like that.

Last.fm may get somewhat skewed but I find their recommendations to be fairly good based on similar artists.

Pandora is also good, but annoying since you can't really browse through the different artists, they just play whatever music station and you can only skip so many songs.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 03:12:23 PM »

What was that website that allows you to put in three band names and after you do that, they provide you a list of similar artists?  That might be helpful.

No, you can only put in one "sounds like" artist.  CD Baby's an online store that only sells CDs by independent artists in all genres from Disney to Death Metal.  They have tons of stuff by indie artists in countries all over the world as well. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 03:18:51 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 04:48:58 PM »

DR summed up my feelings about Coheed and Cambria pretty well. I don't like the vocals (despite loving Geddy), and they always sort of come across as a pretty talented straight-rock band that see themselves as something more...which they aren't. I'm not very eloquent today. They're one of those bands you can't help but resent because all of their fans go on about how they're super complex and out there, when actually Coheed is a very, very light prog band.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 03:42:47 PM »

I'd actually recommend the album Source Tags & Codes by And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead. It's a bit harder than Muse, but it's very, very epic, and very, very awesome. They also stray from the verse-chorus-verse structure and tend to mix prog elements as well.

If he hasn't listened to Radiohead's OK Computer yet, that may also work, since Radiohead is, to understate it, a major influence on Muse.

That's all I can think of for now.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: