Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2016, 05:42:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
239123 Posts in 7107 Topics by 2358 Members
Latest Member: BeardyMcBeardface
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  MAR/18: Favorite VGM Songs (Character Pg 5)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: MAR/18: Favorite VGM Songs (Character Pg 5)  (Read 14131 times)
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

...AND STEVEN.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2016, 08:47:52 PM »

Okay, gonna edit in some other choices soon, but first I have to say:

Shame on you, Dice!

SHAME ON YOU!!

Argh.  I am so busy right now and tonight, and reviving this thread has been on my mind the last month.  My bad to forget this divine song.
But I stand by my earlier points, this thread would be less fun if I rmeembered all the best tunes. :)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Klutz64
I Like Wacky Hats

Tactically Engaged in Espionage Action

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2016, 09:07:14 PM »

Side note:

It was only recently that I learned the correct pronunciation of the name "Beatrix" is not "Bee-trix" like I used to say, but "Bay-a-trix"

Common knowledge, I'm sure, but it was news to me. Happy to have found this out, as the latter is a much more eloquent sounding name.

My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2016, 09:26:09 PM »

Persona 2: Innocent Sin easily had my favorite character themes, especially the sad variants on them.  

Maya's theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5fD08Udnus
Maya's theme sad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCyL7woseR0

Eikichi's theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpdib1Rfnv0
Eikichi's theme sad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArMyZkD0GX8

EDIT: Oh, and Dart's Theme from Legend of Dragoon is really good. Heck, I thought that game had a very good and very underrated soundtrack.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B8M8s2Y2yQ

I know the obvious contributions here would be the various character theme from FF6 and Chrono Trigger, so I thought I'd pick ones that were less obvious.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 02:46:05 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60
Klutz64
I Like Wacky Hats

Tactically Engaged in Espionage Action

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2016, 12:17:06 PM »

Okay, time for some picks from me...

Final Fantasy IV - Rydia's Theme: If I had to use one word to sum up Rydia's theme it would be "bittersweet," which is a word that works well with her character too. Probably one of the only FFIV character themes I find to be on par with the FFVI character themes.

Final Fantasy VII - Yuffie's Theme: It's just not a typical style you associate with a character theme. Most character themes tend to be very focused on evoking one emotion, and Yuffie's Theme is just very casual and easy listening. Special kudos to the Mahoroba Song Book adaptation.

Final Fantasy XIII - Vanille's Theme: One of the things I love that FFXIII's music does in both character themes and environment themes is creating this musical divide between Cocoon and Pulse with a very "man vs. nature" feeling between the two.

Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep - Aqua's Theme: Very tragic sounding, representing perfectly the outcome of BbS while maintaining that theme of Aqua being a symbol of final hope.

KH:BbS - Enter the Darkness/Heart of Pure Darkness: Badass villain theme doubling as a badass battle theme? Yes please! Also love that the main difference between this and Unbreakable Chains (Ventus' final battle theme) is a slower tempo and lighter instrumentation in UC and yet that's the one that sounds more intense.

Realization: Birth by Sleep is probably my favorite video game soundtrack ever. Still hits me crazy hard once in a while that I got to meet Shimomura in person.

.hack//GU - Because of Love!?: Though Atoli does have a distinct character theme, it doesn't actually have its own track, so this is pretty much the best representation of it. I just love these poppy, lighthearted character themes.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 12:18:52 PM by Klutz64 » Logged

My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2016, 10:53:43 PM »

Forgot if I mentioned this here but

https://youtu.be/86vH4YsgK2s?t=280

track that starts on this about a second after where I linked it. Should also be a longer version in there somewhere.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

Unlimited Insomniac Works

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2016, 02:28:11 PM »

I am a sucker for villan themes, the more ominous the better.
FFIV - Golbez
FFII - Sephiroth
FF VIII - Succession Of Witches (Edea's theme)
Lunar the  Silver Star Harmany - Magic emperor Ghaleon
Xenogears - The One who is Torn Apart (ID's theme)
Xenogears - Grahf Emperor of Darkness
I'll get around to commenting on the ones below don't really have the time at the moment. Putting this list together took longer then I thought it would.
Killer Instinct - Hinnamatoom Thunder's theme
Killer Instinct  Warlord Spinal's theme
Blaz Blue - Awakening the Chaos II (Nu 12's theme)
Guilty Gear x :overture -Holy Orders (Be Just Or Be Dead)
Blaz Blue - Gale 2(Bang's Theme)
Persona Arena - Sprited Girl (Labrys theme)
Grandia 2 - The Moon of Valmar (Millenia's theme)
PHYSIC FORCE 2 - Carry Away (Sonia's theme)
Saga Frontier -  Theme of Asselus
Shantae: Risky Revenge. she got the moves
Touhou 11 - Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion (Utsuho Reiuji's Theme)
Touhou 10 - Faith is for the Transient People (Sanae's theme)
Thouhou 10 -The Venerable Ancient Battlefield ~ Suwa Foughten Field (Kanako Yasaka's Theme)
Chrono Trigger - Schala's Theme
Parasite Eve - Theme OF Aya
Shadow Hearts - Alice Theme
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 02:34:14 PM by Chronix112 » Logged
Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2016, 04:42:32 PM »

CHARACTER THEME!!
It's been too long, old friend.

Once again, and in part due to how specific this topic is, go beyond RPGs if you need to.

Chrono Trigger - Robo's Theme
R66Y's theme is so good.  It's a shitty looking future, but he's optimistic and this tune keeps me happy every time I hear it.  One of my favorite party members to boot.  I think just about ANY CT character theme can get an honourable mention here...
...except Marle.

Unlimited Saga - Vent's Theme
I heard this song once during a bad time and it perked me up.  It's super simple, but not everything needs a big orchestra and a hip beat.  This song felt quiet, a little sad, but also relaxing.

Tales of Symphonia - Lloyd's Theme
I find the ongoing harpsichord way too rich for Lloyd's character, but the song is super sweet sounding... and I think it works for the 'idealist' the character is.

Final Fantasy VI - All of 'em. Here's the Distant World's Medley
I leave it to someone more calculated and picky than me to pick their favourite themes and say why.  I'm just gonna say they all completely rock...classically-speaking.

Chrono Trigger - Robo's Theme
*dances happily*
...*dance dance dance*.....
:D

Unlimited Saga - Vent's Theme
Oh dear...... solo acoustic guitar opening.... sorrowful minor key.... hints of tropical flavor to raise it up from "sad" to "melancholy".... ahhhhhh......  My only complaint is that it's too short.

Tales of Symphonia - Lloyd's Theme
LOL, yes, Dice I see what you mean about the harpsichord.  Really doesn't work for a character theme unless that character is nobility.  But the theme itself is strong and the melody at least fits Lloyd to a tee: "Let's go have an adventure!" is what it says to me.

Final Fantasy VI - All of 'em. Here's the Distant World's Medley
How the crapping crap did I not know that DW had a Final Fantasy VI Character Medley?
Of course, the only true answer to "Which one is best?" is Terra's Theme.  I don't care if it's overdone, it's one of the greatest pieces of VGM ever conceived in the mind of man.

SHAME ON YOU!!  ("Roses of May" from FFIX, Beatrix's theme)
Yeah.... yeah, this is definitely one of the all time greats.  Can't listen to it without Kate Covington's lyrics playing through my head, though.  Not a bad thing, certainly.  DAT MELODY!!
.........*ahem* I'm not too sure what happened to me, but I just randomly started crying at the climax of this rendition.

Okay, time for some picks from me...

Final Fantasy IV - Rydia's Theme: If I had to use one word to sum up Rydia's theme it would be "bittersweet," which is a word that works well with her character too. Probably one of the only FFIV character themes I find to be on par with the FFVI character themes.

Final Fantasy VII - Yuffie's Theme: It's just not a typical style you associate with a character theme. Most character themes tend to be very focused on evoking one emotion, and Yuffie's Theme is just very casual and easy listening. Special kudos to the Mahoroba Song Book adaptation.

Final Fantasy XIII - Vanille's Theme: One of the things I love that FFXIII's music does in both character themes and environment themes is creating this musical divide between Cocoon and Pulse with a very "man vs. nature" feeling between the two.

Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep - Aqua's Theme: Very tragic sounding, representing perfectly the outcome of BbS while maintaining that theme of Aqua being a symbol of final hope.

KH:BbS - Enter the Darkness/Heart of Pure Darkness: Badass villain theme doubling as a badass battle theme? Yes please! Also love that the main difference between this and Unbreakable Chains (Ventus' final battle theme) is a slower tempo and lighter instrumentation in UC and yet that's the one that sounds more intense.

Realization: Birth by Sleep is probably my favorite video game soundtrack ever. Still hits me crazy hard once in a while that I got to meet Shimomura in person.

.hack//GU - Because of Love!?: Though Atoli does have a distinct character theme, it doesn't actually have its own track, so this is pretty much the best representation of it. I just love these poppy, lighthearted character themes.

Final Fantasy IV - Rydia's Theme
I am no fan of the original FFIV, but its music is on point.  That being said, Rydia's theme is the NO CONTEST BEST TRACK IN ALL OF FFIV.  Fight me, dissenters.  This piece of music has been legendary longer than some of you have been alive! 
Dang I'm old.

Final Fantasy VII - Yuffie's Theme
Almost crying again.  But this time with joy.  Sometimes I think this theme reveals more truth about Yuffie as a character than any of her dialogue or abilities.  When all is said and done, she's just a young girl trying to be happy.  This theme is like... that entire concept condensed into some musical notes.
Mahoroba Song Book adaptation
Hmm.... what is this, exactly?  Definitely an adorable rendition.

Final Fantasy XIII - Vanille's Theme
This is beautiful.  Always one of my favorite tracks from XIII, partially because it reminds me of something from X-2, which is one of my all time favorite games and soundtracks.  XIII was underrated by fans all the way around (mostly), but at least its soundtrack tends to be universally praised (in my experience).

Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep - Aqua's Theme
Aqua was the only thing that kept me playing this game.  I really liked her.  Never even played Ventus or Fake Male Terra's sides of the game.  Yeah, yeah, I know.  Someday maybe I'll watch the story for this game on youtube.
Still, this theme is quite nice.  Probably.... probably one of the "darkest" character themes I've ever heard in a JRPG.  It's seriously a downer, but in a good way.  Makes you stop and think about what it's trying to tell you.
Skipping the villain theme you linked, though.  Not in the mood.

.hack//GU - Because of Love!?
This is exactly the kind of stuff I come to JRPGs for, really.  The unique sense of fun in the instrumentation and sound fonts just makes my heart dance.  This is a very nice theme from a game and franchise I have never touched.

Current RPG - Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2016, 04:48:57 PM »

An of course, my selection for this round of discussion:

Final Fantasy X-2 - Yuna's Ballad
Although this is not technically Yuna's Theme, it is a version of her theme, and one that speaks more to the game's overall plot, as well as to my heart.  Long live this beautiful, beautiful game.

Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2016, 10:36:52 AM »

Bonus Track: Atelier Rorona theme

Not sure if this is the theme for the character, but pretty sure this is what plays in her shop, and it's lovely.  How can you resist toe-tapping and smiling while listening to this?  This game has a very underrated soundtrack, overall.

Rook

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2016, 12:05:13 AM »

Well pg 5 just gives me a chance to repost my favorite VG song again:

Xenosaga 3: Godsibb, which is pretty much Yuriev's theme. Glad for the non ATB battle system because I just stopped and listened to it for like 20 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrBk3oZ2jc0

Xenosaga 2: Jr.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSK7TH0p770

Xenosaga 2: Sakura #2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lGnrpz5gNY

FF13-2: Crazy Chocobo - because it always cracks me up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxGjtfIF1oU&list=PLC89930BA5903B838&index=60

FF13-2: Noel's Theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMFaSuMIEko&list=PLC89930BA5903B838&index=65

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: