Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 12, 2016, 09:48:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
377380 Posts in 15102 Topics by 2334 Members
Latest Member: Malekoth
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Your Top Five Releases In The Year Of Our Lord Two Thousand And Fifteen
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Your Top Five Releases In The Year Of Our Lord Two Thousand And Fifteen  (Read 931 times)
natros
Pizza Enthusiast

Right! I'll do you for that!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2016, 11:17:07 AM »

Natros- since we were talking Slipknot, what's your favorite Slipknot album? Mine is probably All Hope is Gone.  Gematria (The Killing Name) is my favorite song from there.  I used to be a metal elitist who was anti-Slipknot, but that song completely changed my mind.   https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hhKZaLAnVHg

Not trying to antagonize you, but AHiG has to be one of my least favorite of theirs (the other being Vol. 3). Something about it... I couldn't even listen to it all the way through. One song kept asking me if I was ready for the time of my life - Apparently, I was not.
Perhaps I should give it another go, though. I just checked out Gematria, and it is admittedly a nice, heavy head-banger. The Sevendust album I mentioned (Kill the Flaw), I didn't like at first, either. After several listens though, it could very well be my favorite.

My favorite of Slipknot's would have to be Iowa. It captures their early youthful energy, without being quite as over-the-top angsty (although still plenty angsty) as their big label debut. People = Shit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRf8Fg0GFg8) is such a strong opener, and being an introvert with misanthropic tendencies, it speaks to me. I also really like Left Behind (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1jQKpse7Yw).
I admit some of the lyrics on that album are terrible [especially the chorus in/of/to(?) The Heretic Anthem], but rarely is any album completely perfect. I saw them live around the time they released this album (Ozzfest '01), and they are still to this day one of the loudest bands I've ever experienced.

By the way, have you ever listened to their very first release, Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat? It was before Corey joined the band. I wouldn't say it's great, but knowing it's Slipknot, it's an interesting listen. It's actually a rather experimental and diverse album. Full album here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLVhOCORMcg.
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2016, 07:36:42 PM »

I haven't heard Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat in its entirety, but what I have heard, I liked.  It reminded me of old Sepultura.  And this brings me to why I've grown to like Slipknot and think they're underrated in the metal (or should it be metal elitist?) community.   I really like how different all their albums are. It's never the same album twice.

Slipknot is wild 'n out armageddon

Iowa is controlled chaos (in the days following my dad's death, the cadence of "My Plague" is what helped me keep my head straight.) 

Subliminal Verses is very experimental.  I feel like I need to listen to that album more and let it grow on me. 

All Hope is Gone takes the best of Subliminal Verses' experiments and refines them into a behemoth monster. "Gematria" is my favorite Slipknot song.

The Gray Chapter isn't the fastest or heaviest album, but it shows that you don't need to be heavy to be powerful.  Like I said, "XIX" perfectly encapsulates my immediate feelings when my dad died.  "Skeptic" was another song that helped my healing.  And "If Rain is What You Want" is a great example of a powerful song that isn't heavy. 

"Me Grimlock not nice dino!  Me Jecht!"
natros
Pizza Enthusiast

Right! I'll do you for that!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 10:21:29 AM »

^ I agree with your assessment, sir. They are dismissed by many too easily. I can sort of understand that though, since their major label debut was right in the heart of numetal's reign, and has plenty of numetal elements in itself.

Do you like Gojira? I've really gotten into them within the last few weeks. I love their diversity, and their drummer is sick. I'm not much an environmentalist, but I appreciate their passion for it. Emphasis on "passion". Something SORELY lacking from much of today's music...
Anyway, I had listened to From Mars to Sirius back in its day, and just couldn't get into it, so I didn't bother listening to any of their other stuff since. ...Until recently, when I gave The Way of All Flesh a listen on a whim. I was blown away. Especially by "Toxic Garbage Island" and "The Art of Dying". I then checked out their next release, L'Enfant Sauvage (which I keep wanting to read as Elephant Sausage) and was equally as impressed, if not more so. So, it goes without saying I am anticipating their upcoming release. If it's anywhere near as good as the two albums I just named, it will definitely be on my Top Five Releases of 2016.
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2016, 10:54:32 AM »

I haven't actively listened to much of Gojira's music, but what I have heard, I liked.

Another band like that for me is Amon Amarth.  I've heard a bunch of their songs but still don't own an Amon Amarth album.  I really felt a good vibe from the songs in Twilight of the Thunder God so I'll buy that.  Oh, and I really liked the new song "First Kill" from their upcoming 2016 album Jomsviking, so that's something I'm looking forward to this year.

"Me Grimlock not nice dino!  Me Jecht!"
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: