• View Profile
Re: Song of the Moment: The Original RPGFan Post Count +1 Megathread
« Reply #2265 on: January 28, 2017, 01:19:32 PM »
Ayumi Hamasaki Sparkle CD

Track 1 - Very rock oriented and kind of attitude rich
Track 2 - Title track, dreamy and unique
Track 3 - Whoa! Sounds like an 80s video game song
Track 4 - Ballad and dreamy
Track 5 - Sudden change of pace, very upbeat and exciting.
Track 6 - Soft and fun
Track 7 - Very rock heavy
Track 8 - Sparkle instrumental, not bad.

Overall despite liking a few songs I wasn't really the biggest fan... maybe like a 7.1/10

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: January 28, 2017, 02:02:11 PM »
Namie Amuro Uncontrollable

Track 1 - Nifty
Track 2 - Calm and Cool
Track 3 - Cool
Track 4 - Super bouncy and fun
Track 5 - Quick and neat
Track 6 - Fun
Track 7 - Pretty nice, not my favorite though.
Track 8 - Regal
Track 9 - A pretty main track, nice and fresh
Track 10 - Yeah Oh a slightly variation, cool.
Track 11 - Whoa, haven't heard this one before... sorta interesting.
Track 12 - Sad
Track 13 - Epic and interesting!

Overall I'd have to give it like an 9.0/10
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

D-Rider

• Former God of RPGFan
  • Rainbow Club Member
  • Giant Paraplegic Cock
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: January 29, 2017, 12:04:58 PM »
Iron Maiden - 2 Minutes To Midnight

Thanks, Trump.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2268 on: January 29, 2017, 12:25:12 PM »
I think this 1977 Sex Pistols classic speaks to the times now as well, especially the opening verse, which basically sums up how I think Trump views himself:

I am an anti-Christ
I am an anarchist
Don't know what I want
But I know how to get it
I want to destroy the passerby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc89WTEh-jE
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: January 30, 2017, 03:38:56 AM »
Nami Tamaki Don't Stay

DVD1

Ok! So this one was pretty great, it was a compilation of Cross Season and a couple other videos, I liked pretty much all of them equally although I think my favorite was just the last half of the DVD which was interviews with Nami and her visit to Pacific Expo, as well as the making of "Heart and Soul" (Which is one of my favorite Nami videos)

Overall, I think Nami Tamaki is quite an amazing singer/personality! She always seems so down to earth and polite, and is quite the dancer/singer as well, so yeah this DVD was a lot of fun.

8.9/10

CD

This CD is composed of the songs in the Don't Stay Album and rather than go by them one by one I would like to single out a few "Station" and "Eden" which were two of my favorite tracks, both full of passion and excitement. That said the overall album was pretty impressive, I think it shows an evolution in Nami's style away from the more kind of overt ecstatic style of her earlier music to more of a calm and kind of cool style IMO.

Overall 8.9/10

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2270 on: February 02, 2017, 07:23:48 PM »
https://graveshadow.bandcamp.com/releases

This  EP by Graveshadow is my "song" of the moment.  I wanted to check it out because I loved vocalist Heather Michele's versatile performance on Helion Prime's self-titled album, but she left Helion Prime and Graveshadow is her new band. 

Well, although Heather's vocal performance is wonderfully dynamic with Graveshadow and the lyrics are solid (even if thematically kinda hammy), the songwriting sounds very by-the-numbers.  I feel like I've heard these riffs before and they feel phoned-in.  The music isn't bad, per se, and it's clear the musicians have solid chops, but there's no spark of creativity. 

I look forward to new Helion Prime material with new vocalist Kayla Dixon.  That girl can belt it out, and Helion Prime's music is just more imaginative and engaging to me than Graveshadow's, so I won't be buying any music from Graveshadow. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 04:55:47 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2271 on: February 09, 2017, 06:04:19 AM »
Timely songs that have been in my mind a lot lately:

"America" from West Side Story (and I love the whole Bernardo-Anita dialogue before the song.  "We had nothing!"  "We still have nothing... only more expensive."). https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy6wo2wpT2k

"Land of Confusion" by Genesis.  30+ years later and still so relevant, and one of the most creative music videos of all time.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QHmH1xQ2Pf4

I also really like Disturbed's cover of the song.  The heavy beats just give the song a more angry and ominous tone than just dejected, and the video is amazing in its own right; seriously, that video needs to be its own animated series and/or comic book: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YV4oYkIeGJc

"Cult of Personality" by Living Colour.  The quality of the recording isn't great, but the lyrics are where it's at.  History has seen the best and worst of cults of personality (shown by the mention of Mussolini and Gandhi in the same lyric) and we're seeing cults of personality emerge in a big way all over the world, and not necessarily for the better.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FKv5QLa8q8
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 03:49:35 PM by Dincrest »

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: March 08, 2017, 12:40:04 AM »
Suddenly had the urge to listen to some Therion for the the 1st time in years. 
Therion - Schwarzalbenheim
Therion - Muspelheim
Therion - Cult of Shadows
Therion - Call of Dagon

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2273 on: March 28, 2017, 07:47:46 PM »
My song of the moment is a very unorthodox and uncharacteristic choice for me.  It's "Heavy" by Linkin Park f/ Kiiara.  My punk and metal elitist friends be damned, I still think Hybrid Theory is one of the best rock albums ever.  I can get down with that.  So when I heard this new Linkin Park doing a pop song, my kneejerk reaction was to cry sellout because this wasn't the Linkin Park I knew and enjoyed. 

Then something compelled me to listen to the song again and pay attention to the lyrics.  And the song became very poignant to me and spoke to all the stuff still weighing heavily on my mind given all the difficulties life's dealt me over the past few years.  Stuff I don't really want to elaborate on because it still hurts.  Apparently, that's exactly what the song is about- struggling with all the internal conflicts regarding heavy stuff going on in your life.

So everything be damned, this is a good song and I really like it. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5dmQ3QWpy1Q
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 08:00:04 PM by Dincrest »

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: March 29, 2017, 11:09:54 AM »
^ Perhaps it's because the lyrics don't speak to me as they do you, but I could not get into it at all. Especially after the excellence that is The Hunting Party. I know that makes me sound exactly like one of those ding-dongs who proclaims that LP should "stay metal", but it can't be helped. It's similar to the letdown that is the latest Gojira album (in my eyes/ears, anyway). It's not that I think bands shouldn't experiment.. It's more like: 'You guys are capable of so much more than this...'.

While I'm here, I'll throw in Born of Osiris - Devastate. Haven't listened to them in forever, and I forgot how much this song rips. Not usually into deathcore bands, because I personally believe breakdowns are lazy and dumb, but these dudes put a nice spin on it.

D-Rider

• Former God of RPGFan
  • Rainbow Club Member
  • Giant Paraplegic Cock
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: April 21, 2017, 05:22:03 PM »
The Gathering - Leaves

This video always takes me down memory lane.  Those halcyon days of the early internet, when finding a video of an obscure band was like finding gold.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2276 on: May 17, 2017, 07:51:13 PM »
I still can't stop listening to Cyborg Octopus.  Their Learning to Breathe album has fast become one of the few I simply have to listen to in its entirety every single time.  As loath as I am to cherry pick tracks from it, here's the video to their song Data_M1nefield. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mJGbgnPI-s0

Lyrics:
https://cyborgoctopus.bandcamp.com/track/data-m1nefield

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile

Losfer

• The Pope
  • This guy are sick.
    • View Profile
    • Blackened Death Records
« Reply #2278 on: May 19, 2017, 08:09:29 AM »
Sodom - M-16
BlackenedDeath.com

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: May 28, 2017, 11:16:45 PM »
SMiLE. Never realized the 2004 version of Good Vibrations had different lyrics than the 60's one until like a week ago.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`