Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: Song of the Moment: The Original RPGFan Post Count +1 Megathread
« Reply #2295 on: July 21, 2017, 07:43:09 PM »
Song of the moment is another album of the moment.  And that album is "Godless Prophets & The Migrant Flora" by Darkest Hour.  I've always liked the band and feel every album they've done has been consistently good, but like Amon Amarth they've long been akin to a powerhouse weightlifter who's plateaued for a really long time.  However, with this album, they've finally broken the plateau, made muscle gains, and gotten stronger. 

This sonic onslaught is easily in the running for favorite album of 2017 and may possibly be the band's most powerful album.  https://darkesthoursl.bandcamp.com/releases
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 07:01:33 AM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Losfer

• The Pope
  • This guy are sick.
    • View Profile
    • Blackened Death Records
« Reply #2296 on: July 26, 2017, 07:42:15 AM »
The entire Owlcrusher demo.
BlackenedDeath.com

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: July 26, 2017, 02:35:23 PM »
Less than Jake - All My Friends Are Metalheads

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

D-Rider

• Former God of RPGFan
  • Rainbow Club Member
  • Giant Paraplegic Cock
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: August 15, 2017, 01:32:05 PM »
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - The Curse of Milhaven

The whole of the album "Murder Ballads" really, but this one in particular.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2299 on: August 16, 2017, 08:05:52 PM »
"My Demise" by Shadows Fall https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e9aILL_CF3E

Even though the song is almost 7 minutes long, it has tons of cool variations throughout its course and remains engaging to listen to from start to finish.  There is some wicked drumming, an intense guitar solo, myriad vocal styles... really good song.
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

D-Rider

• Former God of RPGFan
  • Rainbow Club Member
  • Giant Paraplegic Cock
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: September 01, 2017, 03:03:50 PM »
Arcturus - The Throne Of Tragedy

One of my favorites from an album full of greatness.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2301 on: September 03, 2017, 03:36:21 PM »
EDIT: New song of the moment is Signs of the Time by Sons of Apollo.  Who is Sons of Apollo?  It's Mike Portnoy (one of my favorite drummers), Derek Sherinian (one of my favorite keyboardists), Billy Sheehan (one of my favorite bassists), Bumblefoot (one of my favorite guitarists), and Jeff Scott Soto (one of the better singers Yngwie has worked with). 

Their debut album, Psychotic Symphony, comes out in October and I'm actually excited for it after hearing that song.  I can't stop listening to it and I may just preorder the album.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TLVWkqnN3Ck
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 10:50:19 AM by Dincrest »

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: September 20, 2017, 06:57:01 PM »
I'll check out that song, Dincrest. I liked Portnoy back in his Dream Theater days.

David Maxim Micic - 687 DAYS (Playthrough)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U81qBYvBmMM
Awesome song to close out the summer as we turn the corner to fall. Extra points for video creativity
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 06:59:13 PM by EmeraldSword »

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #2303 on: September 23, 2017, 11:01:09 AM »
saw Sleaford Mods last night and they were great

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: September 23, 2017, 11:56:27 AM »
You know how you sometimes hear something good on the radio while you're driving to work, but you don't quite catch the name of the song, and then when you get home nine hours later you google a bunch of half-remembered song lyrics and partial band names and eventually find a song that's different from what you remembered, but still pretty good anyway?

That happens to me a lot.

The Burning Hell - Fuck the Government, I Love You

This isn't my usual style of music, but I liked the lyrics.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2305 on: September 24, 2017, 02:33:18 PM »
Song of the moment is another Album of the Moment.  The album is "Reaching Into Infinity" by DragonForce, which came out in May of this year.  Reviews of this one have been mixed, but I absolutely love it.  From beginning to end, every song is an absolute winner and even despite being over an hour long, the album never wears out its welcome.  I haven't listened to a DragonForce album since Ultra Beatdown (which was an ultra yawnfest outside of maybe 2 songs), and this one was like a refreshing splash of cold water to my tired face.  The album has plenty of classic DragonForce hallmarks, but is very experimental (I love the album's occasional forays into thrashy stuff and occasional harsh vocals), which shows that the band is branching out and not staying rigidly within their little comfortable formula.  I believe their bassist did a lot of the songwriting here, which is cool. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl_p4Qqes2Y

I listened to it because my iPod randomly shuffled to Sonic Firestorm this past week and I thought, "This album is a lot of fun.  This band is a lot of fun.  I wonder what they're up to." 

My epic history with DragonForce:

Valley of the Damned is one of those mindblowing albums that damn near changed my life.  That album was a total gamechanger and still DragonForce's best. 

Sonic Firestorm was solid, but it adhered pretty much exactly to the formula precedent set by Valley. 

Inhuman Rampage was their breakout album, since it featured songs on Guitar Hero, and it had some enjoyable moments, but I found it to be a pretty mediocre album. 

Ultra Beatdown had the songs "Reasons to Live" and "Heartbreak Armageddon" which showed DragonForce's capability to wrote songs in between blistering speedfests and ballads.  However, those were the only two songs I liked and I found the rest of the album a formulaic yawnfest.  This was when I decided that the band has gone stale, they simply rehash the same formulaic drivel over and over again, and it's time to move on. 

After Ultra Beatdown, it seems they parted ways with their original singer (ZP Theart) and recruited a new one (Marc Hudson).  I didn't think much of it since I was "over DragonForce."  Ergo, I never listened to "The Power Within" or "Maximum Overload" albums.  I'm okay with this, because sometimes a band needs time (and a few albums) to really get their sea legs with a new lineup change like this.  Marc Hudson's voice is in a lower register than Theart's so the songwriting has to change in order to showcase his range and talents, and sea-legs aren't gotten right away.  Takes time.  I love Marc Hudson's singing on "Reaching for Infnity."  He employs a wider variety of dynamic vocal styles than I've ever heard from ZP and his timbre is more my style these days.  Hail Hudson!

So after being inspired to listen to "Reaching for Infinity" I was pleased to hear that bassist Frederic Leclerq had taken a lead role on the songwriting (I love the ballad "Silence" which was written about his friend who committed suicide), and I love how the music has classic DragonForce signature hallmarks, but also experiments with other styles of metal (e.g. thrash).  This is the most experimental and diverse I've ever heard DragonForce and I'm glad I gave the band another chance.  If songs like "War!" (with its amazing marriage of thrash and power metal) are hints of what the new DragonForce is going to be, I welcome it with open arms. 

So far, "Godless Prophets & the Migrant Flora" by Darkest Hour and "Reaching for Infinity" by DragonForce are my favorite albums of 2017.  And I can't wait for "Psychotic Symphony" by Sons of Apollo.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 03:07:21 PM by Dincrest »

D-Rider

• Former God of RPGFan
  • Rainbow Club Member
  • Giant Paraplegic Cock
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: September 26, 2017, 11:02:35 PM »
Fields of the Nephilim - The Watchman

Soooooo gooooootttthhhh

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2307 on: October 02, 2017, 08:28:21 PM »
Song of the moment is "Dare" by Stan Bush.  Many of you might recognize it from the 1986 Transformers movie... aka the best Transformers movie from the best Transformers cartoon series.  Gen-wunner for lyfe, yo!  That interlude about 2:20 into the song is always in my head whenever I feel like I'm that staredown before a battle life is throwing at me. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NouZB6QuCys

The reason it's my SOTM is not only because it popped into my head a few days back, but it seems like fate, karma, whatever put it in my head at the right time for the right reason to make the song and its lyrics more inspirational.  I could go into a long explanation as to why this is, but it would just come off as more sappy than truly heartfelt. 

Sometimes when your hopes have all been shattered
And there's nowhere to turn
You wonder how you keep going (going)
Think of all the things that really mattered
And the chances you've earned
The fire in your heart is growing (growing)

You can fly, if you try, leaving the past behind
Heaven only knows what you might find

Dare, dare to believe you can survive
You hold the future in your hand
Dare, dare to keep all of your dreams alive
It's time to take a stand
And you can win, if you dare

Everybody's trying to break your spirit
Keeping you down
Seems like it's been forever (ever), oh
But there's another voice if you'll just hear it
Saying it's the last round
Looks like it's now or never (never)

Out of the darkness you stumble into the light
Fighting for the things you know are right

The power is there at your command
It's time to take a stand
And you can win, if you dare

You hold the future in your hand
The power is there at your command, oh

Dare, dare to keep all your love alive
Dare to be all you can be
Dare, there is a place where dreams survive
And it's calling you on to victory
Dare, dare.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 09:35:49 AM by Dincrest »

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #2308 on: October 13, 2017, 03:09:24 AM »

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve