Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 08:49:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327552 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  General Game Awards 2008 thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: General Game Awards 2008 thread  (Read 10301 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2008, 06:58:23 PM »

There'll be a bunch of best/worst lists coming out, so it's better to just do this. Wired.com's Game|Life seems to have completed their own if anyone wants to see.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 11:49:59 PM »

X-play gave GOTY to Fable II. I was quite surprised. I really liked that game, but GOTY? I don't know about that...

Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 02:45:27 AM »

Wow their top 10 disappointing games is terrible. Why are Dead Space and Prince of Persia on there? Hell, EndWar , TFU weren't bad games either.

But hey, at least they gave an honour to Sins of a Solar Empire, which I consider is the best RTS released this year.

I don't even want to bother reading the rest.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 02:08:04 PM »

You know X-Play: massive hardon for Western RPGs.
DM Kyle E. Miller
Administrator

foriamthedm@yahoo.com foriamthedm foriamthedm@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 03:35:07 PM »

Then it should have been Fallout 3.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 04:47:42 PM »

Kinda glad to see an Indie game like World of Goo was #5 on the top 5 games of the year list.  Really fun game.  It was disappointing though to hear how much the game is being pirated when it only costs $15-20.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 05:14:47 PM »

I agreed with X Play on Fable II. In fact, I said so on their message board and they put my post on Friday's Attack Of The Show because of the Periera/Sessler debate going on that day. When Kevin saw it he shook his head and said "Alright, alright. Lots of opinions out there. People with opinions. And people that are just wrong, like that guy". Hahaha...

I beg to differ about X PLay and Western RPG's. I've always thought the show, especially Sessler, are simply not fans of RPG's in general. They liked Mass Effect and Fallout 3 because both games had shooter elements. That's why I was surprised they picked Fable II as GOTY, as while it is still a Western RPG, it's not of the ilk they usually like. Some were saying they were biased, but I don't see how since they usually give games like that relatively low scores. 
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 09:12:37 PM »

In my opinion, Fable II may have been an honorable mention for GotY, but it simply wasn't polished enough to warrant the award. Lots of great ideas at work, but it was one of (if not the) buggiest AAA titles I've ever played.

[/url]
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 09:16:08 PM »

Yeah, I'll agree with honorable mention for GOTY for Fable II.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 09:34:28 PM »

My favorite part of Fable 2 is how it constantly crashes every time I try to go into the inventory screen.  I don't know what could possibly cause it to happen, but I really don't care.  Software that doesn't work is useless.

Anyways, my own personal list:

Best Overall: Gears of War 2
Best RPG: Valkyria Chronicles
Most Overhyped: Metal Gear Solid 4
Worst Use of Unreal 3 Engine: The Last Remnant
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 10:13:03 PM »

I agree with this, but Persona 4 is really giving it a run for it's money.  But for the amazing amount of originality in VC I'm leaning toward it being the best RPG of the year.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 10:52:28 PM »

I'm not going to put my list on here because it will be in our feature later, but I will definitely go with GTA IV as the most overrated game of all time.

everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 12:37:56 AM »

I'm not going to put my list on here because it will be in our feature later, but I will definitely go with GTA IV as the most overrated game of all time.
Not sure I agree with that one. It compares favorably to many other games with similar scored when judged on merits of content and quality. When you think of how revolutionary the series once was, the spotlight may diminish, but it's still a pretty meaty game.

I agree it was overrated; not arguing that. But not sure I'd say it was the most overrated game, ever. Wouldn't really say most overhyped ever, either. Maybe most overhyped/overrated for this year, but not for all time.

Also, my personal GotY award would go to Dead Space, because it is fucking phenomenal. The only game I think I can compare it to is Bioshock (another one I've played through three times), because of the similarities in atmosphere, presentation, and story. The story isn't as original and doesn't take advantage of the medium in the same way Bioshock did, but I think it's presented much better and more cohesively. Bioshock was absolutely brilliant until the halfway point, and then sort of slides away from its original greatness. Dead Space never does that. It is consistently engaging.

[/url]
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 12:55:09 AM »

My favorite part of Fable 2 is how it constantly crashes every time I try to go into the inventory screen.  I don't know what could possibly cause it to happen, but I really don't care.  Software that doesn't work is useless.

Best Overall: Gears of War 2
Most Overhyped: Metal Gear Solid 4
Worst Use of Unreal 3 Engine: The Last Remnant

You sure there isn't something wrong with your PS3. I put 30 plus hours into Fable II and it never crashed. A few times here and there there was a less than second paude/delay when opening inventory, but that's it.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 12:56:59 AM »

You sure there isn't something wrong with your PS3. I put 30 plus hours into Fable II and it never crashed. A few times here and there there was a less than second paude/delay when opening inventory, but that's it.

What crazy PS3 do you have, man? Not only plays Fable II, but runs it near-flawlessly?

[/url]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: