Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 08:25:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331846 Posts in 13588 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Check out some of my ProgMetal (Icarus Rising)...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Check out some of my ProgMetal (Icarus Rising)...  (Read 3573 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: December 15, 2008, 11:25:18 PM »

Here's some of the latest from me & my band, Icarus Rising:

F.A.Q
Lust, Envy & Greed

Here's some more prog"Rock" oriented tunes:
Dirty Town
Chroma Key
Fall into the Sky

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 09:49:44 AM »

FAQ sounded like BGM from a '90s videogame, though the vocals turned me off from the song.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 01:52:27 PM »

Gonna have to agree on the vocals.

Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 05:16:38 PM »

I listened to F.A.Q. as well.  I dug the video game vibe.  As for the vocals, I thought the guy had a decent voice and he enounciated his words quite well (amazing how few singers these days don't know how to enounciate.)  I just thought the vocals were mixed a bit high (they drowned out the instruments) and were too clean/pristine/processed/pro-tooled in comparison to the dirtier guitars.  The vocals just didn't sound organic. 

As for Lust, Envy, and Greed, the main riff just sounded too familiar.  Like I've heard it before on many songs only I can't put my finger on what it sounds like.  And when the vocalist attempted to sound gruff on the "I don't knows" it just didn't sound genuine. 

I'm getting something of a Magic Pie vibe from the music in general. 

Your band has skill.  There's no doubt that they know how to sing and play.  But I wasn't really digging it.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 04:42:36 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 07:42:48 PM »

Dinc, thanks for the in-depth review. The vocals on FAQ and backing vox on Lust Envy & Greed are mine. Leads on Lust are my guitarist. Interesting thing about the FAQ vocals being too clean. Don't know exactly what to do more than I already have. I don't want to grit them up with distortion, but maybe an amp sim would help make them sound less clean. Or I could try running it through my old 1970s bassman tube amp and re-miking it.

To be honest, I'm not crazy about the first half of Lust Envy & Greed either. That was my guitarists song, and we've done what we can to make it interesting, but both the drummer and I aren't into it until the rap and metal sections come in. My drummer called it Coldplay once, almost drove my guitarist to tears.

Haven't listened to much Magic Pie, but I've been meaning to check them out for a while. I've been listening to a lot of Flower Kings, which are a bit similar (Magic Pie might have even taken their name from a Flower Kings song of the same name, but I'm not sure). In the past, I've been a big Dream Theater fanatic, but I haven't been crazy about most of their stuff since Six Degrees.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 10:25:04 PM »

I loved FAQ.  I thought the vocals were pretty good actually.  Well, for the main part.  There were one or two parts with the quick HIGH vocals where you sounded way too much like Charlie Dominici.  :P  The guitar tone was great, really crunchy.  Just what I like.  And the hammond gave off a total Keith Emerson vibe.

Didn't like Lust, Envy, & Greed too much...  And yeah, Coldplay, indeed.  :P

Keep posting more though, I liked your last batch too!

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 01:57:40 PM »

Charlie Dominici... HAH! You know, back in the day I used to prefer Charlie to James? I've always hated James LaBrie's delivery, he just sounds too damn full of himself. Charlie might have sounded like a wuss, but at least his delivery didn't make me want to reach through the speakers and slap him in the face. Now, I've learned to tollerate James's vocals, so I'd say that I slightly prefer him, but I have a lot of hate in my heart reserved for both. Funny, best vocalist that Dream Theater ever had was Kevin Moore. His solo stuff has worlds-better vocals than LaBrie could ever deliver, it actually sounds genuine, while having a really nice sound. In fact on, Space-Dye Vest, LaBrie is basically doing his hardest to emulate Moore's vocals. Moore has his own version, and he sounds very similar.

As for Coldplay, I've never really heard them, so I can't comment. I heard one song called "Clocks" that sounded pretty cool, but I'm not familliar with most of their work. Aren't they sorta like Radiohead? Funny thing is my guitarist, who wrote that tune, is a huge death metal fan, but so far, most of his own material has been pretty soft. I do really dig the mid section and the finally, though, which is why we've kept it.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 04:16:12 PM »

Well, James was only good on Images and Words, he's sucked ever since.

Yes, I'm one of /those/ DT fans.  :P

Although he's tollerable on most other releases.  I just wish he'd stop trying to sing outside of his register.  He can't do those super high falsettoes anymore.  ...AND HE NEEDS TO STOP TRYING.

Kevin Moore is an awesome vocalist, cause he knows what he can do.

Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 05:03:07 PM »

Interesting thing about the FAQ vocals being too clean. Don't know exactly what to do more than I already have. I don't want to grit them up with distortion, but maybe an amp sim would help make them sound less clean. Or I could try running it through my old 1970s bassman tube amp and re-miking it.

That would probably just make them mushy.  The vocals on their own probably sound great, but over the dirtier guitars, I just felt that clean to dirty contrast more.  Maybe all that's needed is to reduce the vocal volume a hair and it'll overpower the guitars less.  Simple fix.  But that could just be me and my aural tastes.  Good enounciation on vocals is an asset when playing live, because live mixes are never that clean, unless you luck out with a good FOH soundguy.

Recording is tough.  It's such an unnatural process of deconstructing the parts then reconstructing them so they sound cohesive (like the band was all playing together in one room) and have clarity yet still project the energy of playing live.  When my old band was recording our ill-fated demo, the process was not fun.

I listened to the other songs too.  Dirty Town is easily my favorite song of yours here.  It's just a fantastic song and I love the serpentine bassline.  The mix on that song is perfect.   No one element overpowers the other and it sounds organic and cohesive.  Icarus Rising's sitting with a winner in that song.  I'm putting that one on my 'pod, homey.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 05:25:29 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 07:00:52 PM »

I listened to the other songs too.  Dirty Town is easily my favorite song of yours here.  It's just a fantastic song and I love the serpentine bassline.  The mix on that song is perfect.   No one element overpowers the other and it sounds organic and cohesive.  Icarus Rising's sitting with a winner in that song.  I'm putting that one on my 'pod, homey.
Wow, thanks, that's kind of unexpected. Dirty Town is one of my favorites too, but I've just been ringing my hands with that mix. My guitarist thinks he's too low in the mix (and he's right, in just a few spots), and I'm rushing the bassline a bit in spots (yes, that's a keyboard bassline... live I just do it on piano). The drums are finally starting to sound good, and it has easilly the best tom sounds that I've gotten so far, but I'm still struggling with the snare. Dirty Town is, far and away, the most complex tune to mix because the guitar and piano end up competing in the same sonic space, and it needs to have energy while being fairly laid back. It was the very first tune that I had guys learn, but it's the newest mix of all of them.

I can't wait to get out the two ones we're working on now: "Icarus Rising", which is a moody, almost hungarian-sounding story ballad, and "Ride", which is a metropolitan 9-minute progRock epic in 11/8. Icarus Rising is sounding pretty good, but we're a long way from recording Ride, the guitar part is VERY tricky.

With the equipment I currently have, I'm able to record drums for $50 a session (renting tom and snare mics from a friend), since I already have overheads, a few 57s, and access to a good sounding space. And since I record guitars, vocals and keyboards in my cabin with my own equipment, this entire album will be very cheap to produce, and I'll be able to sink some dough into getting it mastered. I may hire an engineer to help do the final mix-down too. I'm working with a number of musicians around town to give me feedback on my mix and production.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 09:55:51 AM »

Faq was pretty catchy, and I've booked enough bands to know what's good, garbage and God awful. Keep up the good work.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 04:20:14 PM »

Faq was pretty catchy, and I've booked enough bands to know what's good, garbage and God awful. Keep up the good work.
Thank you very much. We have some epic goodies coming in a few months.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 09:57:15 PM »

Thank you very much. We have some epic goodies coming in a few months.

Definitely let me know your releases of songs, I'm always up for any type of music. I need to listen to much as possible so I can have a basic theme to start working with in my composition class next semester. :)

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: