Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 07:19:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319731 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  White Knight Chronicles
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: White Knight Chronicles  (Read 6802 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2008, 08:52:43 PM »

So, uhhh, does anyone still care? Famitsu gave it a 7/7/8/7 according to this Neogaf post, and while they're scores I wouldn't worry too much over normally Famitsu tends to be VERY nice with their scores. Also saying it's 'just like any other Level 5 RPG' pretty much kills what interest I had.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 09:04:56 PM »

Well... they give all of the SE RPGs on the 360 high accolades, and a PS3 RPG comes along with some promise and it gets slightly above average scores... I guess Level 5 didn't pay the money they asked for.

Anyway, I could care less what Famitsu thinks about games anymore. Their opinion is most of the time pretty far off from what the US gives in terms of scores.

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 09:43:25 PM »

Famitsu gave Last Remnant 38/40, they can eat shit.

I'm still looking forward to this game.  I'm also looking forward to some reviews by people I trust.  IE -- This website and 1up.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 09:50:51 PM »

1up.

Aren't they getting the shaft here soon?

xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 09:51:41 PM »

Well I suppose I can relate. I've seen games like Legend of Dragoon and Tales of Destiny get really bad reviews and I totally ended up enjoying them a lot once I got them. Reviews definitely aren't everything. Very subjective I think or at least it's stating to seem that way to me.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 10:00:15 PM »

Rogue Galaxy sucked.  I remain skeptical.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 10:01:07 PM »

1up.

EGM's getting canned, but 1up.com's sticking around.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 10:06:28 PM »

1up.

EGM's getting canned, but 1up.com's sticking around.

Oh, alright then.

Anyway, I liked Rogue Galaxy and Jeanne d'Arc (one of the best games on the PSP easily), but other than that I haven't really played any games from Level 5 (DQ8 they had help from SE). I still am very much looking forward to this.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 10:14:25 PM »

Technically we don't know what will happen with EGM, but it doesn't look good.

Also: Losfer, I think we share the distrust of the scores, but have slightly different perspectives. You take Last Remnant's score to be an indication of how unreliable they are, but instead that raises this question to me: If they rated something like Last Remnant that highly, what does it say of White Knight Chronicles that it scored that much lower?

Plus I was disappointed by Rogue Galaxy so that makes me predisposed to expect the worst.
Kos-mos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 12:42:41 AM »

I'm still looking forwards to the game and I usually get what games interest me anyway regardless of reviews since there have been plenty of times I've enjoyed games that have gotten panned by reviewers, especially RPGs.  Importing to get to play atleast some of it early as well.

As discussed recently on GAF, PS3Forums and GFAQs, thanks to Kagari, apparently a translation of the actual text of the review paints a confusingly different picture from the score, other than claiming the combat is on the simpler side (not particularly shocking nor necessarily a bad thing for a JRPG and the excellent DC2 or flawed but fun RG weren't overly complex in fighting either) and may become repetitive because of it, all of the complaints were relegated to one aspect of the game, the problems of text typing while fighting in the totally optional online mode, the reviewer's big deal was asking for an auto-fight/auto-run feature to patched later.  Not only is the online mode a bonus to me since I'm much more interested in the single-player experience and narrative, but it could always be patched with voice chat later like everyone wants, I don't see how the below from the reviewers warrants -3 points when the real meat of this game is the big single-player JRPG experience it hopefully offers and there are no real complaints about the story, gameplay or huge customization options you supposedly have in the single-player.  I suppose those looking to this mainly for the online mode may see this as a lower-scoring title since chatting will be difficult during intense fighting/travel until they get enough pressure to add voice chat.

Apparently the single-player should be very good as it got virtually no complaints since the boss battles are good, no complaints about the story and while perhaps simple the fighting is supposedly fun:
Lots of optional content.
Big boss battles.
The combat system is simplistic.

Offline play is balanced.
You can create your own combos. Fighting is fun.

A beautiful world with huge monsters and intense battles.
Descriptive narrative and events in the single player mode.
The combat system can be repetitive.
Armor synthesis to easily strengthen weapons, is good.

Not complex, easy to get into.
Creating combos is fun, however, the way the menu works could be more polished .

I guess we'll have to wait and see how it turns out once it releases and people get to start playing it.

Also saying it's 'just like any other Level 5 RPG' pretty much kills what interest I had.

For me it's a plus, Dark Cloud 2 was excellent, Jeanne D'Arc was too though obviously an SRPG (and DQ8 as well, though I know a lot of people won't give them much credit since it wasn't only theirs so I'll leave that out) and while flawed I didn't get the hate for Rogue Galaxy though it could have certainly been better I still enjoyed it just not as much as I'd hoped nor as much as DC2 and Jeanne which were both really polished games. 

Though I can certainly understand how Rogue Galaxy might make you and others cautious since a number of people found it disappointing or totally disliked it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 01:16:34 AM by Kos-mos » Logged
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 12:51:03 AM »

The thing about famitsu is that they adore Japanese RPGs. They score them very high. Its shocking to see this game score so low, especially on famitsu of all places.
Kos-mos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 12:52:42 AM »

The thing about famitsu is that they adore Japanese RPGs. They score them very high. Its shocking to see this game score so low, especially on famitsu of all places.

I wonder what the reviewers rate online RPGs since the crux of their complaint is focused on that sadly and not on the "real game" (IMO) for some reason?

I would expect more complaints about the single-player based on that score and how they usually rate RPGs on the higher end but they don't even say the story is bad or that the combat (and customization options) isn't enjoyable and they seem to like the graphics as well, three of the main components to a nice JRPG, so I'm not sure where the main experience is losing that many points.

I can't say that they are wrong since the game isn't out yet and until some of us get to play it but to me who doesn't do much online gaming at all the score doesn't seem to fit the general praise in the review since, as you say, Famitsu has been pretty generous on average to RPGs.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 01:19:54 AM by Kos-mos » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 01:55:26 AM »

I wonder what the reviewers rate online RPGs since the crux of their complaint is focused on that sadly and not on the "real game" (IMO) for some reason?

At least wait until you play the game and can make a reasonable argument one way or the other before claiming some play mode is the "real game". You'd be an imbecile for saying the "real game" for Phantasy Star Online or Left 4 Dead was the single player, both games heavily driven by their co-op.

Anyways, I liked Dark Cloud 2 and Dragon Quest VIII, but not Rogue Galaxy. I'll get Layton soon, but it seems to me that the big action RPGs they put out really aren't my thing. Doesn't help that Rogue Galaxy had boring as hell environments.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 04:57:12 AM »

I don't see what's so bad about Rogue Galaxy. I liked it, aside the repetition...and the story during the end.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 10:12:52 AM »

Kinda disappointed to hear this since this was one of the games I was most looking forward to...but I take everything with a grain of salt these days.  I'll have to see more reviews before I make any decision, although, even if they are bad I'd stilll at least rent the game if I'm still on the fence.  I feel like with Level 5 it's hit or miss for me.  Some games have been pure love others have been extremely mediocre.

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: