Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 07:14:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319731 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  question about the DS FF4
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: question about the DS FF4  (Read 3503 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2008, 11:37:31 AM »

does the DS version do something about the "i'm on the world map and i dont know where the fuck to go problem" i never finished ff4,5,or 6 on gba for this reason.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 01:09:52 PM »

I never had a problem of not knowing where to go. 

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 03:23:37 PM »

I didn't have a problem with that in the original.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 03:33:14 PM »

I'm not really sure how it can be that hard, but there is an automap feature and you will always see it on the other screen. On the other hand you go way slower because Matrix and/or Square Enix are a bunch of fucks.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 09:08:11 PM »

How do you get lost in FFIV :|

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 10:32:48 PM »

I never had troubles getting lost on the original FFIV, so can't help you sorry.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 11:09:22 PM »

It sounds to me you can't handle any kind of game with any free space, because FF4 is incredibly simple as far as these kinds of games go.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 04:11:11 PM »

It sounds to me you can't handle any kind of game with any free space

FFIV doesn't even HAVE any free space. I'm sure there ARE more linear RPGs but I can't think of any.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 04:31:25 PM »

FFIV doesn't even HAVE any free space. I'm sure there ARE more linear RPGs but I can't think of any.

Old ones only or any? And in story progression or character progression too? Because I'm sure there's plenty of newer RPGs that are even more linear by merit of not providing you an overworld or freedom to backtrack when it's technically possible, and that did let you go off on side quests of your choosing further in.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 11:38:34 PM »

I vote Grandia games for being more linear :)
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 05:36:20 AM »

http://rafb.net/p/nUW5j350.html

Eusis ask me that question again when I've forgotten that I just spent the past five hours writing the thing I just linked to*.

So what are some of the worldmapless RPGs that don't allow for backtracking? Illusion of Gaia comes to mind, but that's kind of it. Truthfully I've probably never played most of those cause that generally doesn't appeal to me so I don't remember them when I say I can't remember anything more linear than FFIV asI never palyed them in the first place.

what sidequests  did FFIV have too?

Also I'm not really sure how you could get more linear in character building than FFIV as it's completely linear. Equally linear yes. FFIV also doesn't let you pick who's in your party. The DS and GBA version's change these both in various regards.

* I'm not even sure what I just made there but it works.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 03:10:33 PM »

i don't think i've ever played an rpg with a worldmap where i didn't get lost at least once unless ffxi and ffxii count. the problem usually stems from the game not being clear on where to go next. or it does tell you and despite going northeast i'm somehow not finding the town.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 03:15:03 PM »

i don't think i've ever played an rpg with a worldmap where i didn't get lost at least once unless ffxi and ffxii count. the problem usually stems from the game not being clear on where to go next. or it does tell you and despite going northeast i'm somehow not finding the town.

In addition to the always visible world map you complete as you go along, any time you access the menu you will see what the character is currently thinking, which is usually about recent story events and where you need to go next. Sometimes it's stupid as hell (A character wondering about how an event occured even though it was just explained to him), but if you're that easily lost then I'd make an exception in your case and recommend the DS version.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 07:01:06 AM »

I don't see how you can possibly get lost in any RPG now that you've been able to navigate through FFXI. It takes like 10 minutes to run straight across a single area in that game if you KNOW the way. Finding a town in FFIV even with a vague direction takes like 5 minutes.
Goshogun9

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 01:29:35 PM »

If there was any RPG where you wouldn't get lost on the world-map it would be FF IV. Assuming you talk to everyone in town you shouldn't have many issues about finding your way, or at least having a basic idea of where to go. I always thought getting lost and finding your way eventually was one the best elements in RPGs.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: