Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2014, 11:56:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337815 Posts in 13833 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  That new RIAA policy/action thing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: That new RIAA policy/action thing  (Read 2655 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« on: December 20, 2008, 06:04:30 PM »

I'm sure all of you have seen/heard/read on the news somewhere that the RIAA is going to stop suing individuals for downloading fileshared music.  Makes sense since all those subpoenas are time consuming, expensive, and have been fruitless.

However, what they're going to do is go in cahoots with ISPs and if they detect a user illegally filesharing music, the ISP will do a 3 strikes approach.  An email warning.  If that isn't complied with, the ISP will restrict the user's internet privileges.  If that doesn't stop it either, the ISP will revoke the user's internet privileges.

So basically, by bedfellowing with ISPs, the RIAA is bypassing the middlemen (the lawyers) and the subpoena red tape. 

Thoughts on this whole thing?  Is this a smart move?  Will it reduce filesharing? 

I'm unsure about this.  I mean, if lots of people are filesharing, the ISP cuts them off, wouldn't the end user then ditch that ISP for one that's not in cahoots with the RIAA?  If that happens, the first ISP will lose money and no one wants to lose money in these hard economic times. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 07:04:41 PM »

I'm not surprised but this is pretty odd considering the fact that a lot of people download music. I hardly believe that they're going to go after every single one since that would cut into the profit of Internet Service Providers.

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 08:24:45 PM »

The RIAA gets to save money. That's all they care about.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 09:12:58 PM »

Seems fine to me.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 04:27:24 PM »

Wait- so this is actually happening? I read about this months ago and thought it would die before it ever got off the ground. Like you said, people would just switch ISPs with no real penalty.

[/url]
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 05:37:17 PM »

Seems fine to me.

Aye.

Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 11:55:02 PM »

Sounds like an idea, not a good or bad one, but sounds like an idea.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 01:34:25 AM »

I've heard reports about people receiving a mail from their ISP about complaints from the RIAA for a few months on certain boards I visit, so it's not that new. And for them it's the logical thing to do.

They're still asses though.
Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 02:36:41 PM »

I'd be interested to know the details of how the major ISP's (or even if it's the RIAA) will define "file sharing." That, and I'm still not too sure what is truly illegal.  There's really too much heresay these days.

Will Torrents be monitored or is it just the user friendly sites like Limeware?

How legal are downloads if I already own the material?

If I download an AMV and then rip the music from the video, does that mean the whole AMV community would have to be shut down?

Wouldn't the same logic apply to huge parody sites like ytmnd.com? Many of the pages linked on there contain whole song files.

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 06:20:26 PM »

That's just the thing.  It seems like a good idea, until you think a little harder and realize that there are a whole slew of variables that haven't been accounted for. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 10:07:45 PM »

Honestly, I get the reasoning and blah blah blah, but in the end its only hurting the "relatively" innocent file sharing users, while the "bad" users will find ways around it.  I mean I guess it should work better, at least this way people get a warning that they are being watched, instead of just YOU ARE SUED.  Still I guess I just cant help but think its crap because of who is doing it.  Rich people wanting to get richer.  This isnt the musical artists asking for this isnt for the directors or the actors or the crew.  This is rich CEOs and shit, wanting more money because they need to replace their skeletons with gold and diamonds.  And I just cant feel any sympathy for those fucking twats.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: