Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 06:22:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318868 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Did FFVII ruin RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Did FFVII ruin RPGs  (Read 22241 times)
howitis

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 03:49:51 PM »

it seems my topic has been misunderstood.  now i have to admit i am a FFVII fanboy as i think its the greatest game EVAR.  but i didnt mean to get the FFVII haters all stirred up.

anyway,  before 7 i played FFVI (3)  FFV (2) chrono trigger, Phantasy Star (my first RPG ever)  on the psx some of my fave games are xeno gears, grandia, suikoden, Wildarms series.  but on the PS2 it seemed games started changing to the more cinematic route.  that being said there are still alot of great games.  SMT seriers even though its basically dungeon crawling (playing persona 4 now) wild arms 3,4,5 all pretty good imo.  but the quality seems to be declining to me because of the focus on cut scenes.  i just wish every RPG had a wold map that i could explore and find optional dungeons, towns, and then a great storyline on top of it all.  any game with a map that i just click on locations seems like it should be out dated, not the other way around.  we have went from openness and exploration.  to being closed in by a 2d map.
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 03:58:46 PM »

it seems my topic has been misunderstood.  now i have to admit i am a FFVII fanboy as i think its the greatest game EVAR.  but i didnt mean to get the FFVII haters all stirred up.

anyway,  before 7 i played FFVI (3)  FFV (2) chrono trigger, Phantasy Star (my first RPG ever)  on the psx some of my fave games are xeno gears, grandia, suikoden, Wildarms series.  but on the PS2 it seemed games started changing to the more cinematic route.  that being said there are still alot of great games.  SMT seriers even though its basically dungeon crawling (playing persona 4 now) wild arms 3,4,5 all pretty good imo.  but the quality seems to be declining to me because of the focus on cut scenes.  i just wish every RPG had a wold map that i could explore and find optional dungeons, towns, and then a great storyline on top of it all.  any game with a map that i just click on locations seems like it should be out dated, not the other way around.  we have went from openness and exploration.  to being closed in by a 2d map.
Ah I see. Well I understand what you mean totally. It seems that they started to focus more on the spectacle rather then length and maps etc. But I was personally very pleased with Final Fantasy X. On another note I believe that Final Fantasy II (Super Nintendo) was actually Final Fantasy IV not Final Fantasy V if I'm not mistaken.

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 03:59:13 PM »

now i have to admit i am a FFVII fanboy as i think its the greatest game EVAR.

xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 04:04:23 PM »

That's why I'd always keep the artifacts. :P
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 04:06:04 PM by xXMelancholiaXx » Logged

Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 04:14:08 PM »

"I hate.... so much about the things that you choose to be."
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 05:58:51 PM »

No, Final Fantasy VII didn't ruin RPGs. It just created a huge number of fanboys.

It's because I give you the shitty artifacts and keep the better ones, ISN'T IT!!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 06:01:22 PM by ShadowLaguna » Logged

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2008, 09:39:36 PM »

Why do I detect a lot of trolling from like every new member here lately.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2008, 09:51:05 PM »

It didn't ruin RPGs, but it took a bunch of people who might have bought other RPGs and made them put on their blinders, which is a drag.

The first disc is great, but kinda gets iffy after that.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Noobien
The Random Clueless Guy of The Forums

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2008, 10:06:04 PM »

-____- take it easy mate....

bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2008, 10:14:06 PM »

xXMelancholiaXx:

Well I can only really give one responce. Yes, FF7 was popular but is there any proof that JRPGs wouldn't be as popular as they are today? Even to this day the vast majority of JRPG are only popular with fans of JRPGs. Only a few series get even casual games to play JRPG suchs as the final fantasy series. All I see FF7 having done is make the Final Fantasy series popular and grow its fanbase even among casual games. The vast majority of JRPG are unknow to most casual gamers so I can't say that FF7 has made JRPGs as a whole anymore popluar then they ever were.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2008, 10:56:30 PM »

While your lack of a giant wall of text is refreshing, you should really just shut up about any perceived trolling.

bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2008, 10:57:47 PM »

OOOOOOOOOOOOOH, you were just pimp slaped by god. :)

*looks at his avatar* Hey, shouldn't I be named Rider?

And what was this topic about again?

could this be what trolling is? Oh well. Hopefully we learned the difference between trolling and a just a slightly annoying topic because of how many times its discussed on every rpg forum.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 11:23:23 PM by bigdeath » Logged
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2008, 12:12:28 AM »

Obvious troll is present, but I will post for great justice.
No, FFVII did not ruin RPGs. What It did ruin that year: Wild Arms.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2008, 12:15:27 AM »

Obvious troll is present, but I will post for great justice.
No, FFVII did not ruin RPGs. What It did ruin that year: Wild Arms.

I like this guy.

ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2008, 02:01:48 AM »

xXMelancholiaXx:

Well I can only really give one responce. Yes, FF7 was popular but is there any proof that JRPGs wouldn't be as popular as they are today? Even to this day the vast majority of JRPG are only popular with fans of JRPGs. Only a few series get even casual games to play JRPG suchs as the final fantasy series. All I see FF7 having done is make the Final Fantasy series popular and grow its fanbase even among casual games. The vast majority of JRPG are unknow to most casual gamers so I can't say that FF7 has made JRPGs as a whole anymore popluar then they ever were.

Exactly, that sums up the whole thing.

About fanboys, well, every game, franchise and what not has a bunch of them. The more popular the more fanboys it has, so there you go. I know some fanboys of old school RPGs that think every FF before 7 was "pure perfection" and that real RPGs are the ones where you grind for days and days until you have enough money to barely buy 10 potions. They just happen to be a smaller group, but that doesn't mean that they don't exist.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: