Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 08:15:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331723 Posts in 13581 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Will Final Fantasy 13 redefine Japanese RPGs again?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Will Final Fantasy 13 redefine Japanese RPGs again?  (Read 9778 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2008, 05:52:45 PM »

I, personally, love random encounters and disc swapping, especially if they're done correctly. Now, disc swapping is simply a neccessary evil due to disc space. It may have lessened a bit from the days of CD-Roms, but it is by no-means dead. With the increase of real-time graphics in cutscenes, a lot less disc space is dedicated to videos. However, polygon maps, bump maps, and full voice-overs have increased the need for data storage quite a bit, so we're still seeing many multi-disc titles. I don't mind them in the slightest, as they serve to really highlight different acts of an adventure.

As for random encounters, depending on how their dealt with, I can absolutely love them or hate them. Some of my favorite games have random encounters. If the encounter rate isn't too high, they can be a very effective way of spacing out combat vs. exploration. Relieving the player of the choice of whether or not to avoid a fight sometimes makes the game a little less stressfull. On-screen encounters always force the player to have to decide whether to fight or not, which can be aggrivating after a while. You start to feel like you're cheating if you are just avoiding everything, you feel guilty, and start to not enjoy the game so much. That's not always the case. If the battle system is good enough, I love diving into fights, or dungeon clearing. Grandia II, I couldn't get enough of running into enemies and kicking their asses. But sometimes I just feel obligated to dungeon clear with boring battle systems. So I guess it depends upon the game.

I will, however, second the statement that if there are random enounters, puzzle rooms should NEVER have them. Skies of Arcadia did a great job with this, and the GameCube version recognized their high encounter rate flaw, and fixed the problem. Kudos to Sega for that.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2008, 06:26:01 PM »

I, personally, love random encounters and disc swapping, especially if they're done correctly. Now, disc swapping is simply a neccessary evil due to disc space. It may have lessened a bit from the days of CD-Roms, but it is by no-means dead. With the increase of real-time graphics in cutscenes, a lot less disc space is dedicated to videos. However, polygon maps, bump maps, and full voice-overs have increased the need for data storage quite a bit, so we're still seeing many multi-disc titles. I don't mind them in the slightest, as they serve to really highlight different acts of an adventure.

As for random encounters, depending on how their dealt with, I can absolutely love them or hate them. Some of my favorite games have random encounters. If the encounter rate isn't too high, they can be a very effective way of spacing out combat vs. exploration. Relieving the player of the choice of whether or not to avoid a fight sometimes makes the game a little less stressfull. On-screen encounters always force the player to have to decide whether to fight or not, which can be aggrivating after a while. You start to feel like you're cheating if you are just avoiding everything, you feel guilty, and start to not enjoy the game so much. That's not always the case. If the battle system is good enough, I love diving into fights, or dungeon clearing. Grandia II, I couldn't get enough of running into enemies and kicking their asses. But sometimes I just feel obligated to dungeon clear with boring battle systems. So I guess it depends upon the game.

I will, however, second the statement that if there are random enounters, puzzle rooms should NEVER have them. Skies of Arcadia did a great job with this, and the GameCube version recognized their high encounter rate flaw, and fixed the problem. Kudos to Sega for that.

Agreed with the random encounter bit, but I'll have to say I wouldn't call it cheating if you wanted to avoid the battles if given the opportunity. The game I loved that had the best random encounter was Wild Arms 2/3.

You were given the opportunity to fight any battle if you chose so in 2, or just cancel out. Only problem was that bosses were colossal pests if you weren't leveled properly.

The 3rd wild arms had a migrant seal system where you begin with a 10/10 random encounter counter (Dr., Dr., Dr., Dr.) that went down after every cancel until forced battle. You could level up the level of the migrant seal counter and pick up a booster to 20/20 also. The more migrant seals you had, the more chances where you could avoid a battle without diminishing your Encounter Counter. The bosses were pretty simple enough that I could avoid a good number of encounters.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

Back to the topic for me... I don't think FFXIII will redefine Japanese RPGs. If they did- wait one second let me go find it... *FACE PALMS*. I better see Red XIII in there for some kicks.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2008, 12:37:08 AM »

No, FF13 will just be a benchmark to not announcing a game four years before it's ready for release.
This post wins the thread.  We'll be seeing the game in 2010, for Christ's sake.

I don't think Japan will even see it until 2010 to be honest.
Goshogun9

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2008, 01:25:01 PM »

I sure hope it redefines the RPG genre again. The last RPG to really impress me was FF XII. None of the next-gen RPGs for 360 have awed me, so I think its long overdue. I hope those 4 years of production will really pay off, and we will see one of the most polished games in recent memory. I do have faith that my mind will be blown by FF XIII. 
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2008, 02:46:48 PM »

No, FF13 will just be a benchmark to not announcing a game four years before it's ready for release.
This post wins the thread.  We'll be seeing the game in 2010, for Christ's sake.

I don't think Japan will even see it until 2010 to be honest.

I highly doubt they will ever see a redefined JRPG game again.

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2008, 03:38:01 PM »

I'm guessing you never played P3 nor P4.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2008, 03:39:45 PM »

He means Persona 3 and Persona 4. If he never played the games then he wouldn't know what P3/4 stands for. And yes, they do redefine what makes a good JRPG.
Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2008, 03:49:24 PM »

Regardless of whether the next coming is FF or not, I think we're on the verge of an exciting time in RPGs.  In 2008 alone, I saw more independently developed RPGs coming out of the woodwork than ever.  And really original creative stuff too, like Iffermoon.  Maybe it's time to look beyond the McDonald's style game developers and see what the neighborhood diner or soul food kitchen is offering up.  There's a groundswell of creativity stirring out there, just waiting to bubble up to the surface and get gamers' attention.  

It could be argued that back in 1997, Panzer Dragoon Saga redefined what was capable in a Japanese RPG.  However, it was no match for the juggernaut that FF7 became.  I never played PDS, but from what people tell me, there hasn't been another RPG like it.  However, there's that old saying that if a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it, does it make a sound?  Even if a game like PDS truly redefined the JRPG experience, not enough people (particularly in the US) played it to know/perceive/realize that and put it on the pedestal that FF7 sits on. 

Maybe the next RPG "Coming" that will hit the gaming community like Jupiter-sized meteor won't be an FF.  Maybe it will be from an indie developer rather than one of the big guys.  Maybe it will come from a country other than Japan or the US.  There's a lot of maybes at work here.  You just never know.  Cultural revolutions simply cannot be planned or predicted. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 04:01:11 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2008, 11:49:47 PM »

He means Persona 3 and Persona 4. If he never played the games then he wouldn't know what P3/4 stands for. And yes, they do redefine what makes a good JRPG.

I'll check 'em out. I've never played the game, but I've heard plenty of grand and horrible things about the series.

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2008, 01:22:59 AM »

You been living under a rock since 2006 or something? P3 and P4 nearly have universal praise.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2008, 02:49:00 AM »

Yeah, if people complain about the series, it's usually about the older games. Namely the first Persona's localization and the lack of Innocent Sin.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2008, 11:49:22 AM »

I think they could build on FFXII's foundation a bit before trying to build a new one. Not the gambit system(Although I wouldn't mind it if they did it again and made it so you had to change your strats a lot. Being 'The General' was cool, but there wasn't enough emphasis on it.) or the bad 'take everything and call it customization' board system, but they really had something with the world itself. I'd like to see more of the console rpg, but with a MMO sized world concept.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2008, 01:19:19 AM »

You been living under a rock since 2006 or something? P3 and P4 nearly have universal praise.

Haha, fortunately I haven't been living a rock. I'm a mild RPG gamer and I unfortunately don't have the time to check out every single game :(. I'll check the game soundtrack to see if it's any good before I pick it up.

mizuki_no_beatdown
AMG A GIRL

Women are from Venus

mizuki_no_beatdown@yahoo.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2008, 02:47:21 AM »

Haha, fortunately I haven't been living a rock. I'm a mild RPG gamer and I unfortunately don't have the time to check out every single game :(. I'll check the game soundtrack to see if it's any good before I pick it up.

Persona 3 is definitely one game that shouldn't be judged by it's soundtrack.

Playing : Lunar the Silver Star
Recently Beaten: E.G.G.
Awaiting : Red Dead Redemption, Arc Rise Fantasia
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: