Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 06:43:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334518 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ys The Ark of Napishtim difficulties
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ys The Ark of Napishtim difficulties  (Read 2065 times)
Caine

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 22, 2008, 05:07:13 PM »

hey!

wanted to start the above mentioned game and normally they only have 1 difficulty. before i play 1-2 hours normal or hard i wanted to know if this game is too easy on normal or too hard on hard?

what can you recommend?

thanks
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 08:36:41 PM »

Play it on hard if you love a challenge.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 12:02:39 AM »

It's been a while, but I remember it being fairly easy on the easy or normal setting, whichever was the least difficulty setting. I heard the hard difficulty setting is challenging. I'd keep it on easy.
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 09:16:40 AM »

MAn, I must have played this game wrong... I bought it when it came out and played about 2 hours of it. I can't remember if it got too hard or not, but I quit playing because it either got too hard or it got too monotonous because of the enemies respawning everytime you left and reentered an area.
Caine

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 10:21:25 AM »

ok i played on hard cause i read it is for long time gamers a small challenge but not too hard...

well i'm playing rpgs etc. nearly 15-20 years and just finished the first boss,

SPOILER

but then the small bugs are not easy to hit and when there are 3-5 of them you cannot really stay alive :/
guess i gotta play normal.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 01:13:35 PM »

I played the demo of the game, boss was crazy hard in it. I was in anguish the whole time, but it felt refreshing. I felt I actually accomplished a huge feat, when really I spent an hour on my couch staring at moving pixels on a screen.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 11:46:37 PM »

I played the game for a couple of hours, to to the... second or third town, I think. I wasn't really getting into it. I found it fairly easy, but not very well balanced, as a lot of the enemies at a certain point can poison you, poison kills you rather quickly, and you have a limit on how many antidotes you can carry. It seemed rather grindy. I found the whole game pretty monotonous, and the controls felt really slidy. The flaccid smooth jazz soundtrack didn't really help things.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 01:28:43 AM »

I played it start to finish on normal. I watched my roommate (who had never played an Action RPG, let alone an Ys game before) struggle through Nightmare difficulty (unlocked after finishing the game) but somehow he did it.

So none of it is impossible. I'd do NORMAL for first playthrough.

Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 03:31:44 PM »

Random question, has anybody tried playing this game on a backwards compatible PS3 yet? I tried it maybe a year or so ago and it loaded fine, but froze if I tried to load any save data whatsoever. Kind of a shame, especially since I'm playing on a 60 GB PS3 which was apparently the model with the least issues regarding BC.

What I'm wondering is if it's an issue with the model, or my PS3 specifically, although all my other games work, and the only issues I've experienced otherwise were occasional corrupted data in Persona 3 and 4.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: