Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 05:08:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329776 Posts in 13518 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Breath of Fire fans, got some bad news.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Breath of Fire fans, got some bad news.  (Read 6413 times)
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: December 22, 2008, 06:44:04 PM »

Breath of Fire is dead.

In fact, expect no more RPGs from Capcom.  Ever.

...Save for a "low possibility" in the future.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 06:46:49 PM »

That makes me sad inside. I seriously hope this doesn't happen to more companies.

Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 06:55:43 PM »

Loved 1.  Loved 2 even more.  3-5, however, paled in comparison to the original two, imo.  So, I'm not particularly saddened by this announcement.

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 07:05:19 PM »

This is pretty bad..... I enjoyed 3 & 4.... well it's time to move on.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 07:26:19 PM »

Yeah, I saw that. Considering the kind of generic shit they're making nowadays (Anyone even remember Lost Planet?), and the Western influenced style of things like the upcoming Bionic Commando, it seems Capcom is willing to sell its soul for a few extra profits.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 07:30:41 PM »

Well, Capcom could still crank out more and more installments of the Mega Man Star Force (formerly Mega Man Battle Network) RPGs:P

Still, I never really thought RPGs were Capcom's strong suit.  Their trump card has always been fighters in my mind.  Not only Street Fighter but the Vs. games and even stuff like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure as well.  Now if Capcom were to bid farewell to fighting games, THAT would be a reason for me to get all emo.  After all, I'm almost as much a fighting fan as I am a fan of RPGs and graphic adventures.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 07:38:40 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 07:31:58 PM »

Yeah, I saw that. Considering the kind of generic shit they're making nowadays (Anyone even remember Lost Planet?), and the Western influenced style of things like the upcoming Bionic Commando, it seems Capcom is willing to sell its soul for a few extra profits.

Haha, they had souls?

How was Breath of Fire 5 anyways, guys and gals? I always eye it when I'm at a gamestop, but the better part of me says, "Move along, this isn't the game you're looking for".

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 08:04:40 PM »

Considering you can probably grab it for $10, why not get it?

It's definitely worth your time.

The thing about BOF wasn't that it was a high profile mega RPG, but it was a series that I enjoyed playing and always like it's different approach to the genre. Not radically different, except BOF 5, but it always had its own neat little bent on RPGs.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 08:36:02 PM »

Considering you can probably grab it for $10, why not get it?

It's definitely worth your time.

The thing about BOF wasn't that it was a high profile mega RPG, but it was a series that I enjoyed playing and always like it's different approach to the genre. Not radically different, except BOF 5, but it always had its own neat little bent on RPGs.

I'll go pick it up tonight then,  I have to pass by gamestop at the mall so It'll be open. I'll be back tomorrow with either a ":D" or "D:"

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 08:38:10 PM »

*yawn*

I'm sure furries all around the internet are up in arms, but I can't be bothered to lament the loss of a five game series that only had one decent entry. :P

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 08:44:32 PM »

I kinda took the hint with the Breath of Fire Complete Works, and complete OST collection.

This reaaallllly makes me sad.  Its an excellent series, and its kind of sad to see Capcom go the route of fairly generic games, sequels, and their efforts to appeal and imitate heavily to Western gamers.  It does make sense, economically, I suppose, their efforts haven't been all the best though.  And they kinda lost a lot of their charm in doing so.

I'm a big fan of Capcom (I own the Capcom Design Works artbook and the Breath of Fire one....I can't tell you how many times I've gone through them, they're perfect).  I found their older stuff was a lot of fun, and had a lot of appeal to it.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 09:09:20 PM »

*yawn*

I'm sure furries all around the internet are up in arms, but I can't be bothered to lament the loss of a five game series that only had one decent entry. :P

Agreed. V is one of my favorite RPGs of all time. As for the rest of them, well, I haven't played II or IV but if they're anything like I and III then they can DIAF.

Anyway, the only RPGs I'm interested in from Capcom these days are the Monster Hunter games, which are in no danger of being discontinued. :)
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 09:32:41 PM »

Sad news. :( I really liked Breath of Fire III and IV. I haven't played the older ones or V though. :(

DM Kyle E. Miller
Administrator

foriamthedm@yahoo.com foriamthedm foriamthedm@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 09:59:19 PM »

You mean they're never going to make a sequel to D&D: Shadow over Mystara?
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 10:20:46 PM »

*yawn*

Its pretty divided about which one people like the most (I'd say the final toss-up is between III and V).

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: