Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 06:24:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338408 Posts in 13853 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What are some RPGs where you play as the Villain?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What are some RPGs where you play as the Villain?  (Read 5562 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 27, 2008, 02:55:53 PM »

Besides FFTA. ATL: Twilight of Spirits doesn't count either!
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 03:07:15 PM »

In Breath Of Fire IV, there's points in the story where you can control the antagonist, Fou Lou. Who happens to be completely bad ass, by the way.

Besides that, I don't know many RPGs where you play as the villain the entire time.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 03:28:34 PM »

Chrono Cross, but not the entire time.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 04:54:28 PM »

The sample game that was part of the PSOne's RPG Maker was called Gobli and it was about a goblin who was sick of being a low level fodder enemy for the heroes to trod on so he strove to thwart the heroes and become a powerful bad guy. 

And you could go Sith in the KOTOR games. 

A JRPG about a ruffian's journey to villainy would be cool.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 04:57:03 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 04:57:01 PM »

You could play the evil folks in Der Langrisser if you chose the right path. Also, you can be evil in Heroes of Might and Magic II, if I recall. And then there's Shin Megami Tensei III which, depending on which side you choose, you could be the ultimate evil, I suppose.

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
blummer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 05:05:24 PM »

Breath of Fire 4 and Chrono Cross, like others have already stated. I don't really know of any others that come up off the top of my head. Usually when you play as a "villain" in an RPG it's only because that villain is actually an anti-hero, the hero disguised as the villain, or not the main villain of the story at all. Playing as an actual villain might be cool, but I haven't seen many games (aside from RTS games where you can play as the villain faction) that actually try to make it work.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 05:11:05 PM »

Suikoden III has an extra chapter that lets you play part of the game from the antagonists eyes.

In one of Vanguard Bandits paths you can switch to the Empire's side (which is evil, of course), but you still end up being the good guy.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 05:29:21 PM »

They're not RPGs, but the Deception (Deception, Kagero, Deception III and Trapt) series of games places the player as the villain.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 05:33:02 PM »

Suikoden III has an extra chapter that lets you play part of the game from the antagonists eyes.

Never has collecting all stupid Star of Destiny been so rewarding.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 05:47:21 PM »

In Wizardry IV you play as the villain from Wizardry I.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 06:01:45 PM »

Never has collecting all stupid Star of Destiny been so rewarding.

Yep.  

On top of what has been mentioned so far, Dark Wizard lets you play a couple "villains," although only one really counts as such.  

Unfortunately, villains aren't usually explored as protagonists.  I suppose in Japan it wouldn't be as easy to identify with a rotten person or something.  Even in WRPGs most games don't really let you be truly evil, since there are usually checks in place to assure it's not a good idea (notably Baldur's Gate's take on that).  It's actually kind of a bummer since as stale as the genre is perceived to be, a little outside of the box thinking in that regard would make a potentially very good idea.  And I say that because one of my favorite characters reflected this in Dragonlance: War of the Twins.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 07:32:27 PM »

I'm just a bit tired of the whole hero saving the _____ setting. I would love a game where the main character was more of a common criminal type of bad guy.
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 09:08:25 PM »

Especially one that shows his beginning and rise of terror to the domination of a world.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 12:45:06 AM »

Chrono Cross, but not the entire time.

I don't know if that really counts.

Code:
Serge and Lynx swap bodies, but it's not like Lynx went Magus and had a change of heart, or Serge-Lynx suddenly decides to be evil. Now, in the sense that Serge not dying sort of fucked everything up that Crono and co. did... Yes.

Mary in Persona. Arguably.

Code:
Same as above, kind of, although it's ALSO arguable whether or not Bad Mary is really that much of a villain.

Xenogears, sort of.

Code:
Fei and Id were the same person although I'm not really sure Id was much of a villain and I always thought that was a really stupid plot point. Then there's the other thing where Elly is Miang and Fei, Lacan, and Fei's dad are all the same person only not, and Ramsus is a clone of... one of their progenitors, who was also Fei.

In like Fallout you can be a villain if you want. Like, go around planting dynamite on children and then watching as they scamper into a church or something. The game even notes this. Elder Scrolls games let you do this to although to a much lesser extent. and technically you can be evil in the Ultima games but this is sort of counter intuitive to *winning*.

In Wizardry IV you play as the villain from Wizardry I.

Wizardry IV is pretty much the most impossible RPG ever. Also I'm not sure it's even canon. Also Werdna's not really that well developed.

I don't want a hero or a villain, honestly. I want a Jake Barnes. Like...

http://www.storybites.com/babelgoose2.htm Liutov.

A meek person capable of doing terrible things and wonderful things and sort of opting to do both.

But maybe for that to matter you need more choice than JRPGs really provide.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 07:23:11 AM »

Yeah it would be pretty cool to just throw away the good guy bad guy archtypes and have a totally chaotic neutral character.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: