Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 08:02:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327941 Posts in 13428 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Chrono Trigger DS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Chrono Trigger DS  (Read 10570 times)
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 10:48:09 AM »

I was going to pick this up, until I saw that it was $40...
I guess I can justify $40 for the FF3 and 4 remakes, as they were remade...CT DS is basically a port with a new dungeon or two...come on SE, but I guess I can't blame them since they'll sell a boatload at that price.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 11:29:19 AM »

I guess I can justify $40 for the FF3 and 4 remakes, as they were remade...CT DS is basically a port with a new dungeon or two...come on SE, but I guess I can't blame them since they'll sell a boatload at that price.

That's why I asked for mine as a Christmas gift :D. And honestly, I've logged more hours on it than I have Persona 4. Mainly because I have more time at work to play this than I do Persona 4 at home.That doesn't change the fact that a portable version of CT is awesome. It's still an amazing game after all these years and I'm having lots of fun playing again.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Goshogun9

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 02:20:56 PM »

As far as being a good port of Chrono Trigger, it is successful. However, I was expecting some better extras. Both of the 2 extra dungeons were pretty mediocre. The second one that opens up feels like someone randomly assembled dungeons using the various map "chipsets". They have zero originality, and feel rushed. And the arena felt quite boring, and felt like a nuisance that I hated having to keep up with it. Also, the touch screen controls felt unplayable to me.
That's not to say I didn't enjoy it. If someone hasn't played CT yet, I recommend they do so immediately. Especially this version, as it is the definitive version IMO. But, I think it could have been a little better.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 08:37:39 AM »

So, you'd rather pay double the retail for the original SNES cart over a cheaper price of pretty much the same game?

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Zool

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 06:58:28 PM »

I got my imported CT yesterday and have been playing it for about 2 hours.

............sorry guys, but as yet I not that impressed.  Very poor graphics, by todays standards and made worst on a small screen.  I can see how it will appeal to those who have played the original, but as someone new to the game I would like to have seen it updated.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 07:09:28 PM »

Poor graphics?! You're kidding, right?

aquagon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 07:14:10 PM »

Especially having seen that these graphics have aged very well, despite all the time that has passed since is release. Also, considering only the graphics in a RPG (in special in one of the older ones) is a pretty bad idea, seeing that the gameplay, plot and characters are more important.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 07:22:19 PM »

Honestly, I find that small screens make low-res graphics look better because the screen resolution can't go any higher than the low res of the game. Most new DS games aren't going to have any better resolution than CT, the only difference is that CT is 2D and most DS games are 3D. The 3D ones sometimes have the disadvantage of looking like early N64 games, and the low-power of the system really shows.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 07:58:56 PM »

Honestly, I find that small screens make low-res graphics look better because the screen resolution can't go any higher than the low res of the game. Most new DS games aren't going to have any better resolution than CT, the only difference is that CT is 2D and most DS games are 3D. The 3D ones sometimes have the disadvantage of looking like early N64 games, and the low-power of the system really shows.

This.

Druff

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 08:22:56 PM »

Bearing in mind that it was $80 when it was released in 1995, I don't have a huge problem w/ the $40 price tag. IMO it's worth it just to have a near pixel-perfect portable version of CT.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2009, 08:38:09 AM »

Yeah, really.  The graphics were the only good thing about CT in the first place.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2009, 12:37:22 PM »

Yeah, really.  The graphics were the only good thing about CT in the first place.

Wow, I never knew that people didn't like CT. How can you not like it?
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2009, 01:20:18 PM »

The game bored me.  The combat was simple and boring(They had a lot of potential with the combo tech idea, but most of the techs were so situational as to be useless and 90% of the time were just less effective ways of dealing damage than attacking seperately), there was no challenge(I need to be engaged), the story wasn't very interesting(It was interesting while I was playing it, but the more I reflected on the story the less I liked it and the more holes I saw), the characters were flat...the list goes on and on.  There simply wasn't any part of the game which did much of anything for me.  The only part of the game I liked were the frankly breathtaking graphics, which still impress me to this day.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2009, 03:39:30 PM »

Wow, I never knew that people didn't like CT. How can you not like it?

Very easily.  There's no game on this fucking planet more overrated than Chrono Trigger.

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2009, 03:48:46 PM »

I've played CT several times and quit half way each time...same with FF6 and FF7. I wasn't much of a console gamer in those days, I was strictly PC, so I missed out on the nostalgia of these games I guess.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: