Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 03:23:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327256 Posts in 13401 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Save Valkyria Chronicles!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Save Valkyria Chronicles!!!  (Read 22453 times)
flashrom

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: December 30, 2008, 09:47:03 AM »

I didn't think this game would do well considering all those cookie cutter first person shooters, but I read on multiple publications only 33K units sold??  Wtf!  This game has single handedly redefined the strategy RPG genre and one of the best RPG's I've ever played (in my humble opinion at least), and now I'm not only afraid of getting no sequal if one were created, but we'll also be shunned because it's not a big name title and poor sales.  Is there any hope to boost sales before they hit the bargain bin or are we doomed to 2000 more remakes and spinoffs or Final Fantasy and Star Ocean? :(
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 09:55:41 AM »

Well, I did my part in promptly buying the game when I didn't get it for Christmas, but I hear Sega actually isn't unhappy with those figures. While much lower in budget, keep in mind Disgaea was a surprise hit at 50,000 units sold.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 10:20:36 AM »

Not every game is expected to sell 500K units or more. Besides that, that 33K was all word of mouth, as the only ads I ever saw for the game were on GameFAQs and GameSpot.
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 10:22:13 AM »

Well I also did my part and bought the game, funny thing is... I donīt even own a Ps3!

Take in mind that Disgaea have a large following and is on itīs third iteration, Valkyrie Chronicles is a new IP so I guess those sales where expected, only truth hardcore rpg fans would know about the game and buy it.... and yet I heard that the game didnīt sell much in japan, so the the poor sales on the states were expected.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »

Not every game is expected to sell 500K units or more. Besides that, that 33K was all word of mouth, as the only ads I ever saw for the game were on GameFAQs and GameSpot.
GameStop advertised it quite heavily. It didn't get a marketing blitz, but I'd hardly say it was all word of mouth.

I'll pick it up sometime, but I have too many games to finish as is.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 10:42:23 AM »

Sadly this is one title beyond saving. Such a shame too, Sega WOW really outdid themselves. I wish they would release it multiplatform, but I don't even think that would happen with these poor sales.
flashrom

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 10:47:35 AM »

I love Disgaia, and I did my part by buying the game and the PSN add-ons, but Valkyrie Profile is one of a kind.  I can see a Front Mission 5 scenario.  Game 4 sold poorly in the states due to crappy advertising, so we we're shafted part 5 .  Reviews for Valkyria Chronicles were great, but Sega gave it absolutely no marketing at all.  My gut feeling is that it'll never gain even a small cult like Disgaia, Phoenix Wright, Front Mission, and Policenaughts (which is thankfully getting an unofficial translation).  Do you think maybe a 360 port would help sales?
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 10:53:10 AM »

But isn't that kinda the story of Sega's RPG life?  The create an awesome, possibly groundbreaking RPG, yet it doesn't do well.  Look at Phantasy Star, Shining Force, or Panzer Dragoon Saga compared to the likes of Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy.  Well, okay, Phantasy Star Online on Dreamcast seemed to do alright.  

Sega is a developer who has proved their potential for awesomeness (the recent Sonic games notwithstanding.)  The aforementioned RPGs + Skies of Arcadia, non-RPGs such as Jet Grind Radio and Virtua Fighter, etc.  But what's really held them back, I think, is a long series of bad business decisions.  

I approve of this nonsense!
flashrom

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 11:15:17 AM »

But isn't that kinda the story of Sega's RPG life?  The create an awesome, possibly groundbreaking RPG, yet it doesn't do well.  Look at Phantasy Star, Shining Force, or Panzer Dragoon Saga compared to the likes of Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy.  Well, okay, Phantasy Star Online on Dreamcast seemed to do alright.  

Sega is a developer who has proved their potential for awesomeness (the recent Sonic games notwithstanding.)  The aforementioned RPGs + Skies of Arcadia, non-RPGs such as Jet Grind Radio and Virtua Fighter, etc.  But what's really held them back, I think, is a long series of bad business decisions.  

Those are bad business decisions like you said.  Phanasty Star and Shining Force were great series until Sega ruined both by turning one into an MMO and the other into ten thousand action RPG's with the first name "Shining".  Sonic was as popular as Mario until they turned it into a 3D "adventure" game with another ten thousand sequels.  Nights was killed before it began because Sega waited so long to do anything with it (kinda sounds like the fate of Valkyria Chronicles).  Skies of Arcadia will probably die due to low profile marketing and no sequel either.  Bad business decisions no only cost them all their franchises, but also their whole hardware division (I still shed tears of the Genesis).  But Valkyria Chronicles was a fresh start... Is there ANY chance for a 360 port?  As Sony biased as I am, does anyone notice how much better the 360 versions sell?
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 12:01:13 PM »

One thing Sega needs to do is to rethink and possibly overhaul their business model.  They have the creative talent.  They've proven they can do multiple genres well.  I liked Sega Sports back in the day.  Sega GT and Sega Rally were fine racers.  Jet Grind Radio was a fun and innovative platformer.  We've mentioned all their great RPGs. 

It's easier said than done, of course.  But business savvy is what keeps a developer in business.  Believe me, I've been a Sega fan for a long time and I want to see them succeed since they have all this potential and talent. 

I approve of this nonsense!
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 12:04:33 PM »

But Valkyria Chronicles was a fresh start... Is there ANY chance for a 360 port?  As Sony biased as I am, does anyone notice how much better the 360 versions sell?

I doubt it, sega does not seem to have the amount of resources as before and since this game did not sell much on the PS3 chances for the port are very slim. Besides the market for next generation rpg on the states is not that great, I have yet to see any rpg to surpass de 500k sales mark, then again rpgs donīt sell that much anyway (excluding any FF title).

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 12:45:57 PM »

Fallout 3, Oblivion, Mass Effect and Fable 2 have all well surpassed the 500k mark.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 12:52:23 PM »

Fallout 3, Oblivion, Mass Effect and Fable 2 have all well surpassed the 500k mark.

I think he meant JRPGs.
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 01:10:31 PM »

I think he meant JRPGs.

Lost Odyssey says hello.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 01:52:39 PM »

I think he meant JRPGs.

Lost Odyssey says hello.
No, Lost Odyssey does NOT say hello. We're comparing to Fallout 3, Oblivion and Mass Effect. LO sold MAYBE 100K at best. LO is from a brand new company and is a new IP. The fact that it did as well as it did is astonishing, but we shouldn't be too quick to throw it in the same category as Oblivion.

Also, I did notice one mention of Skies of Arcadia. That was one game that did relitively well, and actually got quite a good run on its GameCube remake. There's a sequel currently in the works. Maybe Sega's planning on throwing in most of their RPG capital at the Skies franchise instead. I wouldn't complain, as long as it's released on something other than the PS3 (which is probably very likely).

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: