Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 07:38:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334804 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Save Valkyria Chronicles!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Save Valkyria Chronicles!!!  (Read 23094 times)
flashrom

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 01:55:32 PM »

I was talking J-RPG's.  I have no sales figures, but I thought Eternal Sonata was fantastic.  I liked Infinite Indiscovery.  I liked Lost Odyssey.  Tales of Vesparia is easily the best in the series.  The only J-RPG bomb in my opinion that stunk was Blue Dragon.  I'll even be playing Last Remnant at some point.  The point is though, how would each title have fared as PS3 exclusives?  Sales figures haven't stopped NIS and Atlus from bombing the PS2 and DS with weekly grace.  Hell, Square even chose to make Final Fantasy XIII on the 360 as well so they don't get trapped in PS3 exclusive hell.  Imagine the sales of MGS4 if it was on the 360 too.  It's sad what happened to Sony, but I really think going to the 360 could save the game and maybe create a series.  What do you guys think?
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 02:04:19 PM »

My opinion is exactly the opposite of yours. I think Blue Dragon is still the best JRPG on the 360, with Lost Odyssey or Eternal Sonata being the worse. IU was pretty good and I liked the Last Remnant (review coming shortly), but Vesperia is definitely not the best in the Tales series. Its story is incredibly weak.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 02:05:07 PM »

Lost Odyssey says hello.
No, Lost Odyssey does NOT say hello. We're comparing to Fallout 3, Oblivion and Mass Effect. LO sold MAYBE 100K at best. LO is from a brand new company and is a new IP. The fact that it did as well as it did is astonishing, but we shouldn't be too quick to throw it in the same category as Oblivion.

Yes it does, sir. LO sold quite well in fact, to the tune of approximately 850,000 worldwide. It sold 510,000 of that in North America alone.

As to Vesperia's story being weak, Blace, I agree. It's a boring PoS, but the characterisation is probably some of the best Tales Of has to offer, this side of Symphonia. And all in all, if you ignore the story it's a genuinely good game.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 02:06:51 PM by Hidoshi » Logged
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 02:07:21 PM »

*About the 360 port

I doubt it'll happen, as VC was originally a 360 and it got scrapped and moved over to the PS3.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 02:12:02 PM »

I keep hearing that, but every time I dig up information it, it seems to have originated from a Japanese developer's blog that has little to do with Sega itself. It sounds horribly like bullshit.

I think a 360 port is feasible either way, at least in North America. It's a strong market for the 360 (which Europe is quickly becoming as well), and they'd sell far more units to their target audience that way.
flashrom

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 02:28:15 PM »

My opinion is exactly the opposite of yours. I think Blue Dragon is still the best JRPG on the 360, with Lost Odyssey or Eternal Sonata being the worse. IU was pretty good and I liked the Last Remnant (review coming shortly), but Vesperia is definitely not the best in the Tales series. Its story is incredibly weak.

Blue Dragon?  Please tell me this is a December Fools joke.  But to clarify one thing, I said I thought Vesparia was the best in the series.  I never said the storyline was strong.  Anyways, I'm sure there are a million threads in these forums debating which RPGs are good and which aren't.  This one is getting off topic.  I just wondered if anyone, especially the mods, had any info, even hot stove talk about the future of Valkyria Chronicles.
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2008, 03:12:23 PM »

To comment on the whole "it failed because it`s for the PS3" issue... First of all, the PS3 is clearly a better choice of a platform for JRPGs as was shown by WKC`s sales in Japan(225k in four days - more than what the majority of Xbox 360`s JRPGs manage worldwide in their lifetime). Second of all, games like VC are aimed at a very specific demographic that I think is hardcore enough to go and buy the game no matter what platform it is on. Third of all(:)), the size of the PS3`s userbase is clearly not an issue here considering that Sega`s own Yakuza 1&2 sold even less on the massively popular PS2(despite being much bigger productions with more mainstream appeal). And lastly, I think eventually VC is going to do just fine in sales. It`ll probably become what people call a "slow burner". The game managed to create quite a lot of buzz on videogames forums and is getting recommended everywhere as a "must buy" to new PS3 owners. So, I think it`ll put decent to good sales numbers over time based on the word of mouth alone.
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2008, 03:24:47 PM »

To comment on the whole "it failed because it`s for the PS3" issue... First of all, the PS3 is clearly a better choice of a platform for JRPGs as was shown by WKC`s sales in Japan(225k in four days - more than what the majority of Xbox 360`s JRPGs manage worldwide in their lifetime).
That's something of a misleading statistic you're tossing out. LO sold something like 850k copies worldwide. BD sold 520k copies. OK, it outsold some stuff from Atlus. I mean, if you want to be like that, it outsold quite a number of JRPGs on the PS2 as well.

Second of all, games like VC are aimed at a very specific demographic that I think is hardcore enough to go and buy the game no matter what platform it is on.
The game sold like crap everywhere. No one was buying PS3s so they could play VC.

Third of all(:)), the size of the PS3`s userbase is clearly not an issue here considering that Sega`s own Yakuza 1&2 sold even less on the massively popular PS2(despite being much bigger productions with more mainstream appeal).
I suppose I agree with this to some extent. I think the issue is the type of people who bought the PS3, honestly, not the number of them. It seems pretty reasonable to say that the JRPG crowd in Japan is now on the DS and PSP.

And lastly, I think eventually VC is going to do just fine in sales. It`ll probably become what people call a "slow burner". The game managed to create quite a lot of buzz on videogames forums and is getting recommended everywhere as a "must buy" to new PS3 owners. So, I think it`ll put decent to good sales numbers over time based on the word of mouth alone.
What was the last JRPG to ever be a "slow burner"? What I think I'm reading is that you and a lot of others are in denial about how badly JRPGs sell on the platform right now. It's a great game, but it simply doesn't have the sort of mass appeal to Americans and Europeans that you apparently think it does (or not; you contradict yourself here, because you previously stated that VC was a game that appealed to the hardcore).

This isn't meant to be seen as a "PS3 SUCKS WII60 FOREVER" post. I love my PS3 60gb. I just think there's some denial going on about the reality of what happened with VC, and to a lesser extent, the PS3 and JRPGs.
flashrom

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2008, 03:40:06 PM »

How does 33K compare to other JRPG sales not on the DS, PS2, or PSP?  Is 33K enough to justify another english translation if a sequal is created?  VC was not a low budget game.
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2008, 03:41:14 PM »

I did my part. Have you seen my review as our main story?

I hope it wins RPGFan's game of the year.

JP
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2008, 03:46:01 PM »

I didn't think this game would do well considering all those cookie cutter first person shooters, but I read on multiple publications only 33K units sold??  Wtf!  This game has single handedly redefined the strategy RPG genre and one of the best RPG's I've ever played (in my humble opinion at least), and now I'm not only afraid of getting no sequal if one were created, but we'll also be shunned because it's not a big name title and poor sales.

First off, I definitely agree with you (as my review suggests, the highest score of any game since I've been here.

Second, how old are you fine sir? I only ask because: does it matter if there is a sequel or not? When Chrono Trigger was released, I remember not caring if there was a sequel or not. We didn't expect sequels to everything. I loved the game for what it was. Was FFVI really a sequel to FFIV? Not really. The worst thing The Matrix ever did was come out with 2 sequels, which ultimately tarnished the "feeling" of the original.

With all of that said, your point is very well received by this reviewer...

JP
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2008, 03:49:41 PM »

I imagine P4 or Fallout 3 would be doing that. :P

I keep hearing sequel sequel sequel, but what I really want is for the team to continue having the freedom to make the kind of games they want. Would we have gotten this if the team had been stuck churning out sequels to Skies of Arcadia the past several years? It's not like people normally demand sequels to every great movie as far as I can tell, though admittedly a game can finetune mechanics, but even then that's usually good for one sequel and not a fullblown series.
flashrom

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2008, 04:19:39 PM »

I didn't think this game would do well considering all those cookie cutter first person shooters, but I read on multiple publications only 33K units sold??  Wtf!  This game has single handedly redefined the strategy RPG genre and one of the best RPG's I've ever played (in my humble opinion at least), and now I'm not only afraid of getting no sequal if one were created, but we'll also be shunned because it's not a big name title and poor sales.

First off, I definitely agree with you (as my review suggests, the highest score of any game since I've been here.

Second, how old are you fine sir? I only ask because: does it matter if there is a sequel or not? When Chrono Trigger was released, I remember not caring if there was a sequel or not. We didn't expect sequels to everything. I loved the game for what it was. Was FFVI really a sequel to FFIV? Not really. The worst thing The Matrix ever did was come out with 2 sequels, which ultimately tarnished the "feeling" of the original.

With all of that said, your point is very well received by this reviewer...

JP

I'm 31.  Maybe sequal is the wrong word.  I believe VC has created a whole new genre.  I don't care if it's cel shaded or polygon, medieval or futuristic , monsters or military, etc...  It's the gameplay.  Grid based games are good too like Disgaea.  But VC is pure innovation.  And it's only partially realtime.  No gun barrels in the middle of the screen.  It's a perfect balance between static steps with no time limit to split second reactions without needing the reflexes of using all 12+ buttons and combos at once.  The last thing I want is a million Final Fantasy and Star Ocean offshoots, but I don't want it killed because it doesn't have a brand name like Final Fantasy.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2008, 04:28:44 PM »

The only reason this game wouldn't be ported to the 360 is because the sales were so poor on the PS3 that they would lose too much money even converting it over.

Still, I don't see any reason a port to the 360 should be out of the question. It's a good game and I think there is a solid enough JRPG userbase on the 360 now for it to be received well enough (Most 360 JRPGs sell at least 150k+ in North America, right?).

I'm not saying the PS3 is a bad console. Valkyria Chronicles is just a good game and I think as many people should be able to play it before it becomes one of those good games that failed horribly commercially and is never heard from again. The game isn't technically advanced enough to say that a port is impossible either.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2008, 04:44:20 PM »

I just got this game for x-mas and i'm really impressed with it. I wouldn't be surprised if it got Rpg of the year. I also think that Fallout 3 is worthy of the honor as well. I haven't touched Persona 4 yet. Actually, Fable 2 was great too.  Hmm..

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: