Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 01:03:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335237 Posts in 13726 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGFan Game of the Year
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Game of the Year  (Read 45990 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 07:17:31 AM »

I'm more excited about the individual top-fives of the various editors.  Back before I was even on staff, I always enjoyed reading those individual top fives more than the overall awards.  I know what my top 5 are, but I don't know the top 5's of the other editors (save for JP's including Valkyria Chronicles) so that's exciting for me. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 07:37:41 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 12:41:48 PM »

I think it should go to Valkyria Chronicles. As much as I like Persona 4, VC deserves it more.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 02:26:35 PM »

I probably shouldn't just flat out tell you folks which game is winning so far, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to give a hint:

The title of the game ends with okemon Mystery Dungeon:  Explorers of Time.

Goshogun9

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 02:31:52 PM »

I just got Fallout 3 for Christmas, and have never felt more immersed in an RPG before. Fallout 3 is my RPG of the year by far.  I would easily chose Lost Odyssey if this hadn't come along.

I dunno about P4, as I tried to get into P3 FES and didn't like it as much as I thought I would. I am guessing I would feel the same way about P4, and that's why I haven't tried it yet. Maybe some day.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 03:12:41 PM »

My Pick: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

I just beat again Persona FES both journey and answer and I'm now planing to beat Persona 4 twice. I can't stop playing the game. I love it that much.
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 04:14:29 PM »

Berate me if you want, but Fable II is my fave RPG of the year. Many games had more options, items, this or that, but I simply had the most fun playing through Fable II. Now, I did pick up VC yesterday, and it is fun, but I don't know if it'll be my fave game until I play more of it. I don't even know if there's enough RPG elements to call it an RPG.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 04:24:50 PM »

This is what made 2008 such an exciting RPG year.  There were a whole slew of great titles (okay, there were a lot of disappointments too, but...) and it will be difficult to narrow it down to just one.  Both Persona 4 and Fallout 3 were prime choice titles in their own right.  And beyond those two, there were titles that people just fell in love with more than those two. 

Even on the DS, you have A grade titles like the FF4 remake and The World Ends With You.  I'm sure there's tooth and nail e-fighting everywhere about which one should be DS/handheld RPG of the year at any gaming site. 

I predict that every editor with an individual top-5 list will each have a different #1. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 04:26:31 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Kyle E.
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 06:07:14 PM »

operation darkness by far, very GG story and elements. The graphix were super gg!!!

Not a joke. That game was badass.

"The things that make us happy make us wise."
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2009, 01:01:32 PM »

I haven't finished Persona 4 yet, but I'd definitely have to say Valkyria Chronicles is the best all around RPG I've played this year and also the most original.  Then again, this hasn't been an outstanding year for 'new' RPG's, thanks to SE's port profit port profit approach this year.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2009, 02:03:30 PM »

Right now I'd give it to P4, but I haven't had the chance to play Valkyria Chronicles yet, other than the demo.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2009, 10:01:17 PM »

Something I'm finding disheartening are the user polls for best DS game (not just best RPG) keep going to either CT or FFIV. FFIV isn't too bad, it's a full blown remake so at least it's new enough, but with how good this year has been for DS games period I'd like to see something I didn't play over a decade ago getting the most the most attention from people.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 03:33:13 AM by Eusis » Logged
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 01:12:37 AM »

Something I'm finding disheartening are the user polls for best DS game (not just RPG) keep going to either CT or FFIV. FFIV isn't too bad, it's a full blown remake so at least it's new enough, but with how good this year has been for DS games period I'd like to see something I didn't play over a decade ago getting the most the most attention from people.

Furtherproof that most fans prefer to stick with more of the same than taking a risk with something different (The World Ends With You)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009, 01:37:26 AM »

Something I'm finding disheartening are the user polls for best DS game (not just RPG) keep going to either CT or FFIV. FFIV isn't too bad, it's a full blown remake so at least it's new enough, but with how good this year has been for DS games period I'd like to see something I didn't play over a decade ago getting the most the most attention from people.

It's just people being honest. Yes, there were some excellent DS RPGs this year, but we've only had 6-12 months total to think about how much we love said game, and compare it to other games. The classics continue to capture the gamers' hearts, and so they get the votes. Yes, CT was a straight port, but hell, it's CT. Then there's FFIV, and even DQIV. Damn, all that stuff is great.

Personally, one of my favorite DS games (that few people talk about) is a port of a SNES game that never came to the US, but is now here. Mystery Dungeon: Shiren The Wanderer. That game is awesome.

Ramza

TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 02:34:43 AM »

I impulsively tried out The World Ends With You and did not expect to click with me and get me hooked as much as it did. As for Final Fantasy IV, I confess I have a biased to it, and it is not a half-assed remake either. Both games deserve credit for different reasons.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009, 02:37:51 AM »

I'll tell you guys straight out what my vote was: World of Warcraft: The Wrath of the Lich King.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: