Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 09:11:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329786 Posts in 13518 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGFan Game of the Year
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Game of the Year  (Read 45711 times)
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: January 14, 2009, 01:03:51 AM »

stupid comparison is stupid.

Hey Editors, why didnt you give any awards to Cell Phones? My girlfriend has been playing the hell out Sims 2 for her cell phone and I think it's pretty great. It totally needs RPG of the year for Cellphones

Dude, are you for real? You're seriously this butt-hurt because the editors didnt suckoff the Wii? It's cranked out a handful of decent games, and not one of them has been an RPG. If you seriously think Chocobo Dungeon requires some recognition, you need to fucking pull your head out of your ass. I've played it, it's garbage.

Here, faridmon, you want the Wii RPG of the year? It's fucking Phantasy Star IV. Get outa here.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 01:32:56 AM by Dade » Logged

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: January 14, 2009, 07:38:38 AM »

The issue with the Wii is this: It'd be like giving out an award for "best effort". Not only is that silly and unnecessarily patronising, why bother?
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: January 14, 2009, 08:37:17 AM »

Haven't we gone over this enough yet?  The editors thought they were being clever, some readers agree, and some readers think it was a poor move.  At this point we're really just moving in circles.
Danakir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: January 14, 2009, 09:07:45 AM »

/delurk
Holy thread derailment!

So uh... I'll admit here, I got kinda lost in the shuffle and I'm not keen on going through the whole thread, so if I missed anything important, spare me the flamethrower.

But still, I don't own a Wii, so I can't speak for myself, but although deciding to not pick any game as their Wii GOTY is a strong and bold statement, it's still just an editorial statement. It's an opinion.

Whether you agree with it or not, it's not like it's the prognostication of some divine omnipotent entity or anything similar about the future validity of the platform.

Seems to me like some pretty big egos bumped together here.

But eh, I guess that's the Internet.

Just, y'know, I'm getting old here, could y'all slow down for the poor guy over there in the corner watching? D:

Regardless, I'd just like to say that I like how the awards were picked. It's an interesting way of doing things and I can appreciate the journalistic integrity.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:22:46 AM by Danakir » Logged

~My melody of life, rhyming to memento mori...
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: January 14, 2009, 09:18:14 AM »

Here's hoping that Alpha Protocol (Obsidian, Sega) measures up to its potential.  It's the major release I'm most looking forward to this year. 
Before Valkyria Chronicles, I would have said no chance to Sega putting out an Alpha Protocol that didn't suck. But now, now I have hope! Definitely my most anticipated-WRPG of 2009, unless Mass Effect 2 comes out.

The Wii, as usual, is looking rather barren. I'll probably hunt down the couple reasonable RPGs that I missed this year on it. Blessedly, my "to-buy" list of games from 2008 only has about four games left on it across all the platforms. But I tend to agree that denying GOTY to the Wii was a strong, true, and well-timed statement about the lack of high-quality RPGs on the platform.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: January 14, 2009, 10:17:16 AM »

Yeah Valkyria Chronicles is a new hope for Sega.  But for 2008, was it too little too late?  Some people say that back in 1997 Panzer Dragoon Saga, as good as it was, was too little too late for Sega Saturn. 

And I've said this a million times in other Sega threads.  They have good creative potential and have proven they can create above-agerage, even excellent games in multiple genres.  But what's held them back for decades is their poor business decisions. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: January 14, 2009, 10:26:32 AM »

They should just re-release VC in the spring/summer and promote the hell out of it.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: January 14, 2009, 10:38:14 AM »

I know Valkyria got a rerelease in Japan.  Don't know if America will get it, though.  Would be nice, but given Sega's track record, I wouldn't hold it past them to blow that decision. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: January 14, 2009, 10:59:56 AM »

What they need to do is put VC on the 360 so that I can play it.
Danakir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: January 14, 2009, 12:52:12 PM »

The above would give me one less reason to ever consider buying a PS3, therefore I support it.

Because those sleek black beasts of Sony make my wallet cry itself to sleep.

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: January 14, 2009, 04:46:47 PM »

The above would give me no reason to ever consider buying a PS3, therefore I support it.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: January 14, 2009, 05:48:23 PM »

What they need to do is put VC on the 360 so that I can play it.

What they need to do is put Star Ocean 4 on the PS3 so that I can play it.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Danakir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: January 14, 2009, 05:49:47 PM »

The above would give me no reason to ever consider buying a PS3, therefore I support it.

I was trying to be nice about it. >_>

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: January 14, 2009, 06:06:33 PM »

I WISH VALKYRIA CHRONICLES WAS ON WII

I WISH STAR OCEAN 3 WAS ON XBOX 360

I WISH LANGRISSER WAS ON GAMEBOY COLOR

metal gear solid MORE LIKE MOVIE GEAR SOLID

LOL!

Ramza