Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 04:53:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334755 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Games SAVE LIVES.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Games SAVE LIVES.  (Read 1367 times)
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 30, 2008, 11:23:06 PM »

I don't think it would've worked on a wolf or something though.

Hans Jørgen Olsen, a 12-year-old Norwegian boy, recently survived a moose attack by feigning death, "just like you learn at level 30 in World of Warcraft."

In WoW, "feign death" is a skill acquired by hunters at level 30 that allows them to take a page from the possum playbook, collapse to the ground, and convince their enemies -- who lose all ingrained animosity in the process -- that they've died.

According to Norwegian site Nettavisen , Hans and his sister apparently enraged one of the local moose (mooses? meese?) during a walk in the forest near their home. After shouting at the gigantic creature to ward it away from his sister, Olsen dropped to the ground, and presumably his lifebar plummeted to zero.

Moose have never been known as the wisest creature in the forest, and the boy's show of necrosis seems to have worked, as both he and his sister survived intact.

It's easy to decry video games as a menace to society but in a world where MMOs save adorable, tow-headed Norwegian children from a deadly moose, can they really be that bad?
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 11:29:17 PM »

"Show of necrosis"?

So what, he rotted and started spilling forth pus?

These fuckers need to learn their medical terms before they start using them like morons.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 12:44:57 AM »

I Read That As Mouse Attack And Didn't Get What the Big Deal Was

-or-

Scandinavians Are Hardcore

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 12:46:37 AM »

Well, I'm glad to hear that the two made it out alright. Good use of video game knowledge, ehh? I hope that my Steel Battalion experience will save us when the time comes to man gargantuous mechs.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 08:25:10 AM »

Didn't this happen a year ago? I am pretty sure I read about it awhile ago. Hilarious, though.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 12:13:28 PM »

Moose are responsible for the most human deaths than any other land animal in North America.

/Seriously/.

...And they are fucking /delicious/.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 03:50:41 PM »

It's always those damn herbivores, isn't it?  In Africa, hippos kill more people than lions or crocodiles. :P

But, yes, gaming does have benefits that transfer to real life.  I used to have a terrible sense of direction, but all those years playing RPGs and navigating dungeons allows me to more easily retrace steps and all that whenever friends and I are lost.  I used to be more avidly into racing games than I am now, and the reaction time I've gained playing Sega GT or Gran Turismo allowed me to make emergency maneuvers more quickly and avoid accidents. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 10:54:18 PM »

I used to be more avidly into racing games than I am now, and the reaction time I've gained playing Sega GT or Gran Turismo allowed me to make emergency maneuvers more quickly and avoid accidents.

Yeah something similar happened to me, only it was with Darius Gaiden and the reel thingy in unlimited saga, also it was more practically applicable to lawnmowers because cars scare the hell out of me and I still don't have a license because of that.

I mean, even if they're just sitting there. It's probably my most irrational phobia.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 01:09:54 PM »

I used to be more avidly into racing games than I am now, and the reaction time I've gained playing Sega GT or Gran Turismo allowed me to make emergency maneuvers more quickly and avoid accidents.

Yeah something similar happened to me, only it was with Darius Gaiden and the reel thingy in unlimited saga, also it was more practically applicable to lawnmowers because cars scare the hell out of me and I still don't have a license because of that.

I mean, even if they're just sitting there. It's probably my most irrational phobia.

Darius Gaiden taught me how to fish. After a I blew up Risk Storage, I set the controller down, picked up a rod, and now run a charter boat. True story.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: