Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 04:47:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319230 Posts in 13035 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon DS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon DS  (Read 7367 times)
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 07:55:14 AM »

I just hope it gets a decent review on GameSpot.

HOLY SHIT, NO MII SUPPORT ON RADIANT DAWN!! WHATEVER ARE WE GOING TO DO!?

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2009, 10:04:42 AM »

I just hope it gets a decent review on GameSpot.

HOLY SHIT, NO MII SUPPORT ON RADIANT DAWN!! WHATEVER ARE WE GOING TO DO!?

Worst.

Review.

Ever.

And what's hilarious is that I actually read that same sentiment from a few other sites.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2009, 10:04:57 AM »

Oh yeah, and the "unforgiving difficulty". Play the game on easy if you suck that much...

"Doesn't even try to adapt and make use of the Wii" The game never needed an analoge stick, so it sure as hell doesn't need a wiimote. Controls work fine, isn't that what matters?
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2009, 11:51:17 AM »

Oh yeah, and the "unforgiving difficulty". Play the game on easy if you suck that much...

Protip: FE10 doesn't have an easy mode.  NOA renamed the difficulties; in reality there's a "Normal", "Hard", and "Chaos" mode.  So people were playing on Hard and thought it was normal mode, so it's sort of understandable that they thought the game was overbalanced and super-difficult.

Of course, this information was also highly accessible, so if you want tog get technical the reviewers really had no business not being able to figure this out.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2009, 12:37:26 PM »

That doesn't change the fact that you can select difficulties. If the default one is too hard, switch to a lower difficulty. That is not a problem, as long as the game is not too difficult to complete on the easiest mode available. If reviewers have a problem with that it's their ego's fault, not the game designer's.

Many Odin Sphere reviews pointed out that normal was very challenging and that many players would be better of switching to easy mode. They didn't hold that against Odin Sphere, the game was actually praised for appealing to the hardcore crowd. Gamespot's review didn't even mention Odin Sphere's difficulty settings, but when Fire Emblem did the same thing it was suddenly a problem?
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2009, 02:49:22 PM »

The guy who reviewed it probably sucks at SRPGs or something, and struggled even on the lowest difficulty.

I was scrolling through the reviewers other reviews, and this guy gave SSBB a 9.5, and that never had any Mii Support aside the the online avatars you could have. What the fuck made him change his mind!?

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2009, 03:49:36 PM »

That doesn't change the fact that you can select difficulties. If the default one is too hard, switch to a lower difficulty. That is not a problem, as long as the game is not too difficult to complete on the easiest mode available. If reviewers have a problem with that it's their ego's fault, not the game designer's.

Many Odin Sphere reviews pointed out that normal was very challenging and that many players would be better of switching to easy mode. They didn't hold that against Odin Sphere, the game was actually praised for appealing to the hardcore crowd. Gamespot's review didn't even mention Odin Sphere's difficulty settings, but when Fire Emblem did the same thing it was suddenly a problem?

But I can at least see his train of thought on that one.  There are a lot of reviewers that I've seen that consider the "Normal" difficulty to be the -average- and most balanced difficulty selection, so when that is too difficult they will often hold it against the game.

In this case,you have some extenuating circumstances.  For whatever reason, the media tends to view Fire Emblem as a "very hard" series by itself, on Normal settings.  So when they get a game that they have similar problems with on "easy" mode, they're going to assume that the game is just that hard and unbalanced.

It's a big problem, yeah, but it's common enough that you just have to kinda sigh and give up the fight.  I still think that if NOA had just named the difficulty modes correctly there wouldn't have been nearly as big of an outcry over it.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2009, 04:33:28 PM »

I still think that if NOA had just named the difficulty modes correctly there wouldn't have been nearly as big of an outcry over it.

Probably and that's what makes the whole thing stupid. People complained because they don't want to finish a game on easy. Easy mode if for idiots and they don't want to feel like idiots, so the game sucks. If they had set aside their pride for a moment they could have enjoyed the game on a lower difficulty...

I finished Radiant Dawn on normal difficulty, but I played most of Odin Sphere on easy setting. It was more enjoyable for me that way. I think it's worse when a game offers no challenge at all. I love Rhapsody, but the highest difficulty setting was pathetic. Besides, Radiant Dawn didn't lie. Easy was easier than normal. Valkyrie Profile lied. Hard was easier than easy.
Zool

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2009, 07:17:26 PM »

I finished Radiant Dawn on normal difficulty,

What did you think of  Radiant Dawn on the Wii?  I have been in two minds about getting it, since there is not much else worth getting on the Wii.   It didn't get the best reviews.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2009, 08:28:49 PM »

I still think that if NOA had just named the difficulty modes correctly there wouldn't have been nearly as big of an outcry over it.

Probably and that's what makes the whole thing stupid. People complained because they don't want to finish a game on easy. Easy mode if for idiots and they don't want to feel like idiots, so the game sucks. If they had set aside their pride for a moment they could have enjoyed the game on a lower difficulty...

I'm not going to really hold FE at fault here, but the thing is I would like Normal to be a good, satisfying challenge. It's ideally the middle ground between being challenging and and a cakewalk, and if it's disproportionately hard then, depending on their aims, they did a poor job. Plus some games either screw you over in the long run for choosing Easy or use it as a training mode of sorts. Of course, some games are just meant to be hard (Contra 4) so 'normal' is simply what one should expect from the game.

With all that said I have zero problem switching to Easy if Normal is really too hard, especially if the difficulty was messed with for American release. Astro Boy's Japanese Normal became the American Easy, and nothing was lost from going to that and yet it was still fairly challenging.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 01:10:19 AM by Eusis » Logged
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2009, 10:06:06 PM »

What did you think of  Radiant Dawn on the Wii?  I have been in two minds about getting it, since there is not much else worth getting on the Wii.   It didn't get the best reviews.

If you like other Fire Emblem games you'll generally like Radiant Dawn too.  The biggest difference is that they changed around the way Support convos work (for the worse, imo), but aside from that it's...well, it's just FE.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2009, 12:57:04 AM »

If you like other Fire Emblem games you'll generally like Radiant Dawn too.  The biggest difference is that they changed around the way Support convos work (for the worse, imo), but aside from that it's...well, it's just FE.

Yea, the support system of Radiant Dawn killed a lot of what makes the series good. Sure, it made it easier to forge supports since any character could support any character, but it also destroyed any chances for some of the "less important" characters to develop. Support conversations were always optional, but for those players who actually like knowing about their characters they are a must.

Radiant Dawn's story was also a huge disappointment as far as I'm concerned. The other FEs I've played (except 4 and 5 since I played them in Japanese) never really broke any ground with their stories, but they were at least solidly told. Radiant Dawn's is too fractured for my tastes, and I found it was VERY anti-climactic as a result.

But, it is Fire Emblem, and it is still pretty fun to play.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 12:59:13 AM by Jimmy » Logged
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2009, 01:38:55 AM »

Radiant Dawn's is too fractured for my tastes, and I found it was VERY anti-climactic as a result.

I dunno man, towards the end of chapter 3

Code:
When Ike and the Dawn Brigade face off, that was pretty damn epic.  Fighting Ike as a level boss gave me a :D face for hours.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2009, 03:52:29 AM »

Yes, the game gets points for epic turn-based battles. It's the longest Fire Emblem and it has a lot of different battle objectives. You won't be doing the same thing every chapter, that's for sure. Some people like the huge cast and switching between parties, others don't. I didn't mind it, but I wasn't fond of it either.

I didn't think the game was too difficult on normal. It gave me less trouble than FE7 HM and FE5 (that game was evil!). Wild Arms XF, one of the games I'm playing now, is giving me a lot more trouble than FE:RD ever did.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: