Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 07:20:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319236 Posts in 13035 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon DS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon DS  (Read 7368 times)
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 06:23:34 PM »

For some reason it always surprises me to see that people actually let characters die. I'm a total completionist, and I can't tolerate letting a single character die. Sometimes I want to though...especially when a unit dies and you've been on that chapter for two hours.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 07:25:10 PM »

For some reason it always surprises me to see that people actually let characters die. I'm a total completionist, and I can't tolerate letting a single character die.

Give it a try and *ahem* keep it real. The pressure of keeping people alive and consequences for screwing up make for a better game. Character death sucks for most games(Putting hours into characters like FFT or a fear of being understaffed letting people die), but it's done perfectly in FE games. Cavalier dies, hey you'll get another. Maybe he won't be quite as good, or maybe the guy who died was a favorite characters of yours. Well, hey, your own fault for getting him killed and your new cavalier is still a cavalier.

If it's your only healer or something, well ok, reset. Other than that I made a decision to accept whatever happened in FE games and they got a lot better when I did.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 07:36:18 PM »

I like reading support conversations way too much to ever let anyone die.  The only time I can think of offhand where I actually let somebody die was in FE10 on the final battle, the final boss one-shotted my Red Dragon guy and I just left him to rot.

Of course, I play ludicrously defensively in FE games so hardly anybody dies anyway.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 02:42:45 AM »

You need to let characters die if you want to get to the bonus chapters. I got to all the bonus chapters once, but it felt horrible. I was putting unarmed characters right next to the boss to reach Death's quotum. I killed all the characters from the bonus chapters as well. Except for Etzel. I just couldn't bring myself to kill him. *has a thing for sexy mages*
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 07:16:28 AM »

...what.

That's incredibly stupid and inane.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 01:37:30 PM »

As this game any good? I'm looking through reviews on Gamefaqs and no one seemed to like this game at all. I'm looking forward to getting this soon, but now I'm not so sure.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 02:03:57 PM »

The gameplay is very solid, but the story is stuck in the early nineties. Not that you need to follow to story to enjoy the game, you can skip every scene with the start button. Some elitist Fire Emblem fans think some of the changes ruined the game, but they're overreacting like fanboys like to do. The class swap system brings depth to the game without unbalancing the gameplay. The bonus chapters require a mentality change, but they're completely optional.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 05:09:13 PM »

As this game any good? I'm looking through reviews on Gamefaqs and no one seemed to like this game at all. I'm looking forward to getting this soon, but now I'm not so sure.

Are you another person that thinks 8's are terrible? Good grief. It has an 81% on there.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 06:14:27 PM »

Sadly, the "8 is a bad score" mindset is far too ingrained in the minds of vidya fans thanks to websites where 7/10 and below is failing.

*innocent whistle*
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 02:32:03 AM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 05:11:17 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 04:36:52 AM »

It might still be Shiida, since that's the translation used in Smash. Besides, "Caeda" was on the European website too before they changed it to Shiida.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 08:19:25 AM »

Are you another person that thinks 8's are terrible? Good grief. It has an 81% on there.

No. It was mostly low scores compared to the higher ones, so I was worried. I'll play any game regardless of score if I like it, I'd just like to know if I'm going to like it before I buy it.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2009, 09:27:15 AM »

Read the reviews carefully, many people trashed the game for stupid reasons.

"It's not like Fire Emblem 7!"

"I can't rescue!"

"Real Fire Emblems don't have class swap!"

"I don't want to kill people!"

"Roy > Marth!"

"The graphics aren't colourful enough!"

"The translation sucks! Oguma is now called Ogma!"
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2009, 12:50:17 PM »

Read the reviews carefully, many people trashed the game for stupid reasons.

"It's not like Fire Emblem 7!"

"I can't rescue!"

"Real Fire Emblems don't have class swap!"

"I don't want to kill people!"

"Roy > Marth!"

"The graphics aren't colourful enough!"

"The translation sucks! Oguma is now called Ogma!"

Hah! Those are stupid reasons. Sounds like bitter fanboys. Looks like I'll be picking this up.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2009, 01:22:10 AM »

While I'm becoming less of a fan of seriously following MetaCritic/GameRankings after hearing about publishers putting too much stock in them, he's still putting too much stock in reviews on GameFaqs. Scores are silly period though, at least glance at a review to get an idea of where the person stands and any key issues.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: